Lounge
 The Date is Set!
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  13:34:05
October 5th...this is the date I enter the 21st century...why?

Because that's when I will be able to purchase my eMac! That's right, just a hair over three weeks from now, I will have enough cash to get one (tax included)! My only dilemna is whether to get one at an Apple Store, or through the mail. There's several Apple Stores around me, so I have my pick, the closest being less than 20 miles. I could pick it up Saturday morning/afternoon and bring it home, ready for action!

However, I could also get one through the mail from a place like Mac Zone, and get double the RAM and maybe even a few other extras for about the same price (maybe a wee more because of shipping). Only problem is, then i have to wait for who knows how long for it to be shipped. Add to that the fact that if they leave it on my front patio and somebody steals it (which somebody will) I'm going to lose it!

so...what do I do?

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net

Edited by - supermod on 12 Sep 2002 15:30:45

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  14:16:46
Tough Decision, We got our iMac G4 from a local store and was it worth it! We got double the ram Lots of paper ,100$ off ,5 cds, 1 DVD-R. Definately get it from a 3rd party!

-Danny
"Windows(win-doze): A 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell of an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit processor by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  14:43:38
That's true, I hadn't thought of going to a 3rd-party's local store. There are quite a few here in L.A. that sell Mas, such as Unitek and CompUSSR. I think I'll have a look at what they're willing to give for the same price as the Apple Store before I make my decision!

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  15:09:47
not really the sort of info you want to give out on the net?

<point taken! - SuperMod>

I work for John Lewis, they are a company with "customer service" thier mainstay. You could email them & ask them to deliver & then you can pay.

I dont really speak "for the company" you understand?

Johnlewis.co.uk I believe.

My best advice is to "blag it"

tell the apple store or the 3rd party that the other place are offering you (whatever it be ie:- more memory etc), retail is suffering just at the moment & you have a good chance of forcing thier hand.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!

Edited by - supermod on 12 Sep 2002 15:31:18Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  15:33:30
quote:
tell the apple store or the 3rd party that the other place are offering you (whatever it be ie:- more memory etc), retail is suffering just at the moment & you have a good chance of forcing thier hand.

I agree, that's precisely what I was thinking. I'm going to call Unitek and Di No now to see what they say...

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  15:44:01
quote:
not really the sort of info you want to give out on the net?
<point taken! - SuperMod>

Hey way cool

Is this the first time I have been actually usefull on this site?

I do worry that I may just be an annoyance.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  15:55:14
Speaking of JohnLewis a friend of mine got his iMac from there and save a 100 UKP because someone had taken it home, plugged the phone line in the wrong port couldn't connect to the internet and refused to accept he had made the mistake and demanded a replacement! So although the the iMac wasn't new it had only been used for about an hour!

Speaking of new computers I just got a refurbished cube!!!! This is the closest thing I have ever had to a new computer (apart from a Spectrum +2 128k, damn that wasn't just new it was top of the line!) It came boxed and had only been used as a server so it's in great condition! Anyway now I have to buy a new HD as there isn't enough space to move all my files over and I'm going to flash a PC graphics card.....

Back on topic though, I'd go for which ever is the better deal even if you have to wait a little longer it's worth it in the long run. And I know just how hard it is waiting, I had to wait about 10 days to get this Cube, my g/f said I had "Cube Fever" If you think about it though you wouldn't normally throw away a 100 USD, which is "almost " what you are doing to get it maybe a week early.

Edited by - gothikon on 12 Sep 2002 16:00:52Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  16:00:06
Yeah, I know...I'd to get it and the price drop the next weekend or something. I may look at refurb deals, too, although right now the eMac sales don't seem to be nearly as high as the iMacs, so there's probably a lot less refurbed eMacs out there.

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  17:06:18
Tip: get at least half a gig of RAM! A third party store will probably be cheaper, and you'll thank me later.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  17:42:14
Check Ebay for ram there is a lot of it.

-Danny
"Windows(win-doze): A 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell of an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit processor by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  17:50:26
quote:

Tip: get at least half a gig of RAM!

No! get 2Gig!

dana

Quadra 605 Obsessions
Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  17:52:56
Yeah, I want at least half a Gig, and most 3rd-party companies give you that, but for a $30-$40 "install fee", and some even make you send in a rebate to get the cost of the RAM DIMM back, and either way this means more money up front. I figure it'll be cheaper up front to just get it from the Apple Store and buy a 512MB DIMM off eBay!

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  18:26:09
I dunno what RAM prices are lookin like these days, but when I got my tower, buying RAM from apple was 2x expensive if not more than buying it seperate, thus going with the minimum from apple, and upgrading afterwards. Dunno if this is true anymore but yeah, just my small amount of change.

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  19:18:21
Well, on eBay, a 512MB DIMM goes for roughly $50, and that (plus the onboard 256MB) is really the most I'm going to need for a while.

Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  21:00:32
"The Date is Set"--

--for you to check your IIfx RAM?

Oh-- it's only a new Mac.

Re deals: check DealMac.com. In school? Educational discounts available from Apple.

Otherwise, avoid sales tax. SmallDog (in Vermont) seems to have a good reputation for both new and factory-refurbished Macs. Of course there's shipping, but some e-tailers will drop shipping on new systems, e.g. The MacSmith (in Maine).

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  22:15:05
Hey Cine -- (you are in the LA area, right?)
Check out the CompUSSR at the South Bay Galleria on hawthorne (not sure what city -- I think Torrance. I have had good luck with them (window-shopping),the Apple Tech on staff is pleasant(we had a discussion regarding why one would need 6 PCI slots), and they have (or had) a dual 1gHz machine that you can play quake 3 arena on til your hearts content, they do not bother you unless someone else is wanting to use it (rarely)
anyway, good luck on the eMac.
CCC

oh, BTW where are the Apple Stores in LA?
I live in 'Pedro, and I have never seen one of the strange animals.
thx

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced LEFTENNANT, dangitt)
Protector of the abandonned toastermacs
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, and a Quadra 650

Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, and a PowerMac 8600/300Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2002 :  07:34:07
I live up in Canyon Country, so the South Bay/Torrance area is kinda a drive for me. Oh, and the Apple Stores that are in and around the L.A area are the Northridge store (which is about 15-20 miles from my house), the Glendale Galleria store, the Farmer's Market/Grove store in Hollywood (which I went by before it opened, but haven't been to since it did). Then there's one in Newport Beach, which is probably a little closer to you, and yet another in Costa Mesa.

Yep, we've got 5 in SoCal, and there's still one more on it's way to Pasadena!

Oh, and the date has been pushed up to October 12th. I checked Quicken, and I'd made a mistake with the amount of money I'd have and when. So, I'll have to wait nearly a month, but it'll be worth it!!!

Edited by - cinemafia on 13 Sep 2002 07:35:09Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.