All Forums
 Lounge
 Good Mac Advocacy Deed for the Week
Author Topic  
Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  08:20:25
In the library where I work, all the public computers are going to be replaced in 2003. The grand high poobah mucky mucks asked for input.

This is what I wrote:

quote:

If it wouldn't cause too much havoc, I think it might be a good idea to have at least 1 row of macintosh computers for public use. I get asked if we have macs at least once a month. Mac OS 10.2 is based on BSD unix, so the machines should have a very standard networking setup, be easy to configure as far as user privledges go, and be inherently secure and easy to protect from viruses. Samba should let the macs talk to PCs without too many problems.

I mean, I know we'll probably remain an all PC shop, but ... a girl can try.

68K's liberated: 1
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  09:45:09
quote:

I mean, I know we'll probably remain an all PC shop, but ... a girl can try.

Fingers crossed forya here. Even if nothing happens, you're keeping the up-top-types informed that yes, macs are still around :)

dana

Quadra 605 Obsessions
Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  13:34:48
Congrats on a good deed- I've been pester-, err, I mean suggesting to the admins that a Mac-area would be really great for a lot of students/guests. Sure, there are Mac's in a few places on campus, but the ones I've seen were hidden in dark corners of the lab, the lab monitors have no idea how to use them, and worst of all, they're stuck on OS 9! My sister has a new(ish) CRT iMac (running OS X 10.1.5), and she has a bitch of a time getting files printed at school, simply because the Mac's here are woefully outdated, from a software standpoint. If they finally decide to fix these problems, I'd be happy to help in any way I can, but so far all I've gotten is a cold shoulder and "Mac's aren't worth the trouble to set up, so get a PC!". Sigh.
Am I the only one sick of computer racists/bigots?
SpaceBoy

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

aftermac

USA
80 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  14:21:24
I've managed to sneak a few Mac's through the door at the library where I work. Two, in fact, with another one coming shortly.

The first one I negotiated was the Dual 800 G4 that sits on my desk. I got it back in December when the library wanted to get a DV camera. I planted the seed about editing the movies, and the next week I had a new computer.

The second was an iBook. We implemented a wireless network back in April (I also bought 4 Airport base stations ), half of the network is encrypted for staff, and the other half is routed through a firewall for patrons. Anyways, we bought 2 wireless enabled laptops for patrons to check out for 2 hours for use in the building. An iBook, and some Dell POS.

The one we are getting is for our PR person who takes thousands of pictures... iPhoto and an iMac will greatly simplify her job.

Aftermac

A bandoned, F orgotten, T ortured, E ndangered, R etro, M acintosh, A cquisition, C ommando

5 Apples, 23 liberated 68k's, 9 contraband PPC's, and a Duo DockGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  14:24:30
Good luck. At least its not like my school! Here we have 2 iMac 350s that are never used!

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  16:05:02
And Spaceboy writes that knowing that he gets to use one of the few macs in the building where we work. (He's digitizing old audio tapes for Special Collections.)

Who knows, perhaps the systems people will glom on to the UNIX phrase and think about it -- if they're not all MSCE heads.

[And, SpaceBoy, I plan to let the head of Info Commons borrow my iBook real soon like. Okay, it's got 10.1.2 on it (primarily because it's the fastest boot) but it's still X.]

68K's liberated: 1
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1Go to Top of Page

aftermac

USA
80 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  16:55:35
quote:

Who knows, perhaps the systems people will glom on to the UNIX phrase and think about it -- if they're not all MSCE heads.

I am the systems people, and it's taken me 3 years to convince management to let me buy 3 Mac's. Although, the library, long before I started here, had a bad experience with 80 PowerMac 6100's, SoftWindows, and some extremely processor intensive PC software...

Anyway, good luck.

Aftermac

A bandoned, F orgotten, T ortured, E ndangered, R etro, M acintosh, A cquisition, C ommando

5 Apples, 23 liberated 68k's, 9 contraband PPC's, and a Duo Dock

Edited by - aftermac on 12 Sep 2002 16:57:39Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  17:00:05
What we need is more people doing covert operations in the MSCE-laden world of IT.

I've heard people call my (yet to be completed!) B.CompSci degree 'a piece of paper' while their MSCE is 'real world experience'!!! These people need to learn that there's more to IT than setting up hardware and troubleshooting Windoze...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  18:28:48
quote:

What we need is more people doing covert operations in the MSCE-laden world of IT.

I've heard people call my (yet to be completed!) B.CompSci degree 'a piece of paper' while their MSCE is 'real world experience'!!! These people need to learn that there's more to IT than setting up hardware and troubleshooting Windoze...

Mayor of NuBus City v3.0

I know what you mean. Nothing p*sses me off more than stuck up sorta IT people who hate Macs and have an ego the size of the Titanic.

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2002 :  07:40:35
quote:

Samba should let the macs talk to PCs without too many problems.

I have read that OS 10.2 with Rendezvous will talk to PCs without any configuration or special software whatsoever! True?

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  06:32:12
Yes, true. The only configuring that needs to be done is on the Windows side. I've seen it with my own eyes! (Damn Vaio needed to be logged out and back in to appear as a share...)

Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  11:38:29
quote:
...and Spaceboy writes that knowing that he gets to use one of the few macs in the building where we work. (He's digitizing old audio tapes for Special Collections.)

Oh yeah, I should'a mentioned that...

SpaceBoy

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.