Lounge
 Balance of Power
Author Topic  
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  01:11:13
quote:
Is that the Balance of Power where you play as Russia and US in the cold war? I believe
there is a 68k version? no? Where can i get it?

I had this game on the ST. I have searched in vein trying to find another copy.

I don't think (knowing what I now know) that I could stomach playing the game again.

I was born in Derby UK. In 1976 Derby became a city(more than 250,000 ppl). In about 1986 a bomb was planted in the city centre. No one was killed.

For years afterwards they wouldn't put bins in the shopping centre because they expected another attack.

Derby has a fairly large Irish community & by all accounts we all intergrate well.

Why was Derby bombed? No sane rational reason, It was just Derby's turn perhaps.

A friend of mine from my last job, his dad worked at the twin towers, not on the fateful day though.

As for Bin Laden, I wouldn't hunt him down. I would immediatley open disscussion with the man. I cannot believe he has "just" reason for what he did. Better to debate with the man & prove him to be in error. Better to debate with the man & the ppl he leads in order to find where we can prevent aggression between differing ppl's.

By hunting him down to exact revenge America has automatically given him credence. If he (Bin Laden) believes he has a just political view then let us hear it. Would he convince the whole world he was just?

From Balance of Power I realised that there is a supported, netwrok of criminal activity throughout the world.

I don't think we'd ever erradicate this network, but we can limit it, & we must limit it in order to ensure our own freedom.

I started playing Balance of Power as a laugh. By the end of it (when I mastered the game) I didn't find it funny anymore.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  05:48:51
Re OBL: Revenge is sweet, but cold calculation is better. If some fanatic barbarian is trying to kill you and your family and burn your house down, you have two choices: lie down and beg for mercy, or kill him first.

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  06:58:54
quote:

Re OBL: Revenge is sweet, but cold calculation is better. If some fanatic barbarian is trying to kill you and your family and burn your house down, you have two choices: lie down and beg for mercy, or kill him first.

If a fanatic has already killed members of your family, you kill him as a matter of course. It's not anger and revenge is different than retribution or that "ounce of prevention".

Ghandi's ploy only worked because he was dealing with a civilized nation that looked at the hand they were dealt and folded. The Falklands campaign was another kind of matter entirely and entirely justified, IMHO. Sometimes a nation needs to gut it out agains all odds as a matter of principal.

I only wish England had done a better job of handling the withdrawal from Palestine and the rest of the Mid-East, the world is suffering the consequences of just the kind of "reasoning" with fanatics that you are suggesting. Palestine was a VERY difficult situation where fanatic terrorists on BOTH sides (case in point, the King David Hotel bombing, not all terrorists are militant "Islamic" extremists) were killing each other and any British citizens that got in their way.

I could go into the history of several other colonial powers screwing up the world we live in today, but I find any suggestion of reasoning with terrorists to be tedious. Suffice it to say that there are many examples other than England.

I think the concerns and anti-American views that I have read in posts in various places are as badly oversimplified as they accuse the charicaturized point of view that they assert to be "American." The loudest of the voices I hear tend to be younger voices of those without enough real knowledge or understanding of World History and too much of simplistic rhetoric.

There is no reasoning with fanatics, when the greatest part of society sees them for what they are and reasonable mothers and fathers discipline their children for playing violent "freedom fighters and opressors" games, the battle against terrorism will be won. Reasoning with those who embrace true Islam to fix the root problem is absolutely necessary, as is dismantling OSB and his criminal syndicate. They have eschewed reason and chosen to secede from civilized human society, forfeiting any expectation of quarter by giving none, IMHO.

. . . at the root is the problem that people are only human, it's not a lot to work with . . . but we strive to overcome those weaknesses and rise above them anyway . . . at times it is necessary to revert to form and in a cold, calculated and hopefully efficient manner, act as the animals that we all are.

IMHO, of course,

jt

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  11:05:52
Yes, what I could have said is that I would prefer to have OSB exposed as the despot he surley is, rather than just hunting him down & running a "Kangaroo court" before killing him.

Either way I have an impotant job to do, making me & my family happy people, so I shall move on to matters more productive.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  21:16:32
quote:

If a fanatic has already killed members of your family, you kill him as a matter of course.

Some would prefer that we try to reason with these murderers. But they aren't going to be dissuaded, and they are going to keep coming at us, until they are stopped dead. That is the nature of fanaticism. September 11th was just the beginning, as far as they are concerned. Fortunately, this President realizes we have to make sure they can't finish the job.

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.