catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  05:19:07
This article fron www.cbc.com
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2002/09/11/sept11_usa020911
United States prepares for day of memorials
Last Updated Wed, 11 Sep 2002 7:23:28

NEW YORK - After a year of grief, anger and reflection, Americans will begin a series of sombre ceremonies Wednesday, commemorating the lives of thousands killed in the terrorist attacks in Washington, New York and Pennsylvania.

* SPECIAL COVERAGE: September 11: One year later
http://cbc.ca/september11/

U.S. President George W. Bush will travel to the three attack sites to honour the victims.

In New York, the events began shortly after midnight.

Bagpipers and drummers from each of New York's five boroughs began marching toward Ground Zero, the former site of the World Trade Center towers.

A minute's silence will be observed there at 8:46 a.m. ET, the time the first plane hit the north tower. Various New Yorkers, including former mayor Rudy Giuliani, will read the names of all 2,801 victims.

* RELATED: World marks Sept. 11 anniversary
http://cbc.ca/stories/2002/09/11/world_attack020911

New Yorkers say marking the anniversary is a painful and personal decision. Many companies have made the work day optional.

* RELATED: U.S. raises terror alert
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2002/09/10/alert_020910

But others say they believe going to work as usual is the best way to defy the terrorists.

"The fact that the (stock) market's up and running and nothing has stopped it from running, that's probably the more important thing, the most important thing," said one Manhattan worker.

Memorial at Pentagon planned

In Washington, Bush will take part in a ceremony at the Pentagon with Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld. A minute's silence will be held at 9:43 a.m. ET, the exact time the plane struck that complex, killing 184 people.

Under the reconstruction project called "Operation Phoenix", the Pentagon was repaired at a cost of half a billion dollars. The goal was to get workers back inside before the anniversary deadline.

Kevin Shaeffer was the only member of the Navy Command Center to make it out alive. Suffering severe burns to 45 per cent of his body, he calls life precious and says he'll be remembering the colleagues he lost that day.

And in Pennsylvania, tens of thousands of people are expected to gather near the open field where the fourth hijacked plane crashed. All 40 passengers and crew on United Airlines Flight 93 died.

Written by CBC News Online staff http://cbc.ca/bios.html

Your Thoughts?

-Danny
"Windows(win-doze): A 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell of an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit processor by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."

Edited by - catsdorule on 11 Sep 2002 05:19:53

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  08:27:02
It's hard to believe it's been a yearnow...

That day it seemed like the end of the world, but somehow everything just kept on going. There certainly have been some interesting things going on since then, some extraordinarily positive, some just as ugly. I think thefactthat we live in a time where global communication is as easy as poweringon our respective computers also made quite an impact in this last year. If nothing else, it's helped to keep a global perspective on the events, to give us Americans a wake-up call. As they say, even from bad times there is good, but let's just hope we can avoid further warfare.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  09:56:34
No kidding I can`t believe Bush wants to go after Iraq now I mean i`ve heard of nothing they have done to deserve this!

-Danny
"Windows(win-doze): A 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell of an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit processor by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  10:02:27
09_11_01_08_59_45AM.jpg

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  10:03:52
quote:

No kidding I can`t believe Bush wants to go after Iraq now I mean i`ve heard of nothing they have done to deserve this!

DO NOT START UP WITH ANY POLITICAL B.S. TODAY!

jt .

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  12:42:47
I never mention this topic until someone else posts about it.

Russia lost power, Afghanistan(in the Russian sphere of influence) wasnt "policed by Russia.

Countries not loyal to America are now "loose cannons"

Everyone in the world is free as long as they do things "the American way"? (ironic comment)

A new "global policing" needs to be implemented. ( a less militant statement than "war on terror"?)

It has been claimed that because America is friendly with Ireland that they funded the IRA.

When is terrorism acceptable?

Who should police our planet?

I used to play "balance of power", a political computer game.

It drummed it home to me that having a balance in the world was more important than "having it all your own way"

I will pray for the victims of 9/11 along with:-

WW1
WW2
Vietnam
IRA victims
South American drug baron victims
drug addicts
All those caught in the middle east conflicts.

I personally wonder if America could have averted the attacks. America has been very vigourous & remeber thier are starving kids in the world, who are destined to lives of illness, pain & misery.

Should America not be allowing third world countries to "better themselves"?

Europe & America are the 2 most economically powerfull zones in the world & niether is welcomed in the middle east or the east.

I feel that we need to think of making friends in that part of the world.

If you don't make a friend today then you have made an enemy.

IMHO the best way to fight terrorism is to make the world smile, be content, balanced, happy.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  18:59:29
quote:

IMHO the best way to fight terrorism is to make the world smile, be content, balanced, happy.

You have redeemed yourself in my eyes with that last part . . .

as for the preface, this is NOT the day for such discussions . . .

IMHO, this is not the forum (venue) for such politicized "discussions" and personally, I would not like to see any kind of "minithink" or "battlefront" forum take root here. Let's keep the interaction of this multinational Army of Liberation free of such divisive subjects, the WWW is large enough to find plenty of places to burn bridges, my suggestion would be to keep building them here at the barracks.

jt

p.s. I was so upset about the first politicized post in here today that I neglected to mention that the .jpg is a view of the smoke pall from the WTC in a job site survey photo at the Parking Lot where I spent the balance of that morning. Once I found out what was happening, I took no more photos.

jt .

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  19:03:24
quote:

I never mention this topic until someone else posts about it.

Russia lost power, Afghanistan(in the Russian sphere of influence) wasnt "policed by Russia.

Countries not loyal to America are now "loose cannons"

Everyone in the world is free as long as they do things "the American way"? (ironic comment)

A new "global policing" needs to be implemented. ( a less militant statement than "war on terror"?)

It has been claimed that because America is friendly with Ireland that they funded the IRA.

When is terrorism acceptable?

Who should police our planet?

I used to play "balance of power", a political computer game.

It drummed it home to me that having a balance in the world was more important than "having it all your own way"

I will pray for the victims of 9/11 along with:-

WW1
WW2
Vietnam
IRA victims
South American drug baron victims
drug addicts
All those caught in the middle east conflicts.

I personally wonder if America could have averted the attacks. America has been very vigourous & remeber thier are starving kids in the world, who are destined to lives of illness, pain & misery.

Should America not be allowing third world countries to "better themselves"?

Europe & America are the 2 most economically powerfull zones in the world & niether is welcomed in the middle east or the east.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!

Well, from what I've heard Saddam has been building a biological arsenal! Bush is probably affraid that they will eventually use those weapons on us. I believe he's trying to beat him to the chase.

Is that the Balance of Power where you play as Russia and US in the cold war? I believe there is a 68k version? no? Where can i get it?

Forum: http://scchicago.homeip.net/forumGo to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  19:04:44
quote:

09_11_01_08_59_45AM.jpg

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

What's so special about this picture? Would you like to point out what I'm looking for? I don't see anything special.

Forum: http://scchicago.homeip.net/forumGo to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  19:22:49
I think it is a picture he shot ?

-Danny
"Windows(win-doze): A 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell of an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit processor by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  19:39:54
Read the topic, guys...

Anyway, I agree with jt on this one. This is not the place for political debate.
You can start off another thread, but remember the rule: "Keep it civil!"

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  19:40:44
quote:

What's so special about this picture? Would you like to point out what I'm looking for? I don't see anything special.

The only thing special about that shot is that it shows you exactly where a member of the MLA stood that morning, at that instant, when almost nobody knew what was going on yet and the street still looked normal with the smoke from the first fires drifting over the scene.

There are three payphones on the column on the corner of that parking lot at the corner of Broadway and Lispenard a few blocks from the WTC. From about ten minutes after I took that shot there were between 20 and 30 people lined up at each of those phones until the first tower fell and the mad rush of people up Broadway swept the lines away.

I didn't post it because it was a great photo, I just tried to share a little of what went on at that spot and I still don't know quite what to say about it . . .

jt .

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  19:56:24
Cool! I was right!

-Danny

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.