Lounge
 Up close and personal with an eMac...
Author Topic  
maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2002 :  22:26:30
I'm currently down at the Shop and they have the WONDERFUL new eMac here, which i am now typing this on. Beautiful machine. The screen is a LOT better than i thought, too. Its almost like a freakin LCD!!!!!! Its weird. At first i thought the eMac was fugly, but then i came in here for the afternoon to work, and saw the eMac! Beautiful machine! Its got Jaguar too. Anyway, i am now going to find a way to force myself to step away from this beautiful machine and go have some fun with the 68ks out back. See you back on the iMac 333!

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  08:39:29
Yep, I loved the eMac at first sight, but once I got to actually play with one at an Apple Store, I knew I had to have one. Now it's just a matter of time before Icanplunk down the $1500...hopefully by the middle of next month!!!

Here's a question for ya: If you haveor if you are able, haveyougone insidethe eMac? I want to know how difficult it is, compared to the CRT iMacs (which are a supreme pain), to get inside to do hardware swaps andmaybe even hackage. That Japanese site had great pics, but not much in the way of descriptions!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  09:54:42
Well myfather really didn`t like the emac so he got the iMac G4, well in my opinion is way better then the emac but at yipes double the cost.

-Danny
"Windows(win-doze): A 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell of an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit processor by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  11:29:23
Yeah, I'd love to get the 17" iMac, if only because of the Geforce4 capabilities, but right now I need something that's going to carry my business further and I can't spend more than $1500. I'm still kinda wanting a portable, as I could get a 14" iBook for the same price...but the slower chip, the lack of a Superdrive, and the idea that it could be easily stolen/damaged have made the eMac look the best right now.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  14:17:33
quote:

Here's a question for ya: If you haveor if you are able, haveyougone insidethe eMac? I want to know how difficult it is, compared to the CRT iMacs (which are a supreme pain), to get inside to do hardware swaps andmaybe even hackage. That Japanese site had great pics, but not much in the way of descriptions!

Nope. Still haven't seen inside one yet. Those things seem to have a good track record so far, so i mightn't for a while. Anyway, i'm going back down today. See you back on the eMac!

Btw, for those who haven't seen one IRL yet: Do you have any questions you want answered? I would be more than happy to answer them for ya.

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  14:57:51
Is the emac that dodgy looking one?(looks like an old lamp from an old hospital, the type that would probably fall(due to bad design causing instability)on a bed & cause a fire thereby killing all the patients, therby not being very successfull)

y would any1 want 1? what can it do?

& hey how many monitors can you attatch?

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!

Edited by - shaktiman on 11 Sep 2002 15:01:11Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  15:37:39
No, my friend, thats the iMac, aka the f**king most beautiful computer ever. Btw, the neck on the iLamp is actually very strong, and Apple almost guarantees that it will never go limp on you.

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  17:05:26
I can attest to the strength of the neck: in fact, it's the 'handle' by which you carry it around. It is a very nice design, and at 10 kilos it's good for LANs as well!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  18:19:22
quote:

No, my friend, thats the iMac, aka the f**king most beautiful computer ever.

Which one, the standard desklamp or the 17" hanglider rev?

Sorry, not my cup of tea! maybe if you could stack some kinda standard circular expansion cards in the thing . . .

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  18:38:44
quote:
I need something that's going to carry my business further and I can't spend more than $1500.

Why don't you just get a used Powermac? Upgradable/expandable, you can add a video capture card and a Superdrive, keep upgrading it forever.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  19:15:20
quote:
Why don't you just get a used Powermac? Upgradable/expandable, you can add a video capture card and a Superdrive, keep upgrading it forever.

I've thought about this quite a bit. There are many advantages to getting a used G4 tower, however, right now the advnatages of getting an eMac instead are outweighing them. The total cost, features, footprint, ease-of-setup, quiet nature and power requirements of the eMac are really, really appealing, especially where the SAF is concerned. I can still do everything I need to do between an eMac and my quadra 840av, so it looks like the 7500 is going to pack it's bags and skidoo. Speaking of which, time to make a pre-op trading post for it!

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.