Lounge
 NextStep 3.2! Mint!
Author Topic  
NotEnufCash
Starting Member

Canada
26 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2002 :  20:18:02
Please forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this kind of thing. I just thought I'd share my newest treasure...

As an off-to-University gift my Uncle surprised me with a copy of NextStep 3.2 for 486 & pentium processors. Copy probably isn't the right word to use since right now it's really just the box (more on that later) but it's got tons of stuff in it. From the 350+ page Users guide to the "Installing & Configuring" book. It's got everything. Right down to the letter addressed to "Dear NEXTSTEP User" (from Product Manager Eric Chu) to the NeXT promotional items brochure (with original product order form too!)

The only thing not in there are the actual CDs and floppies My Uncle's looking for them at work but I've heard that somebody has disk images somewhere?

If he does find the CDs or I find a disk image can this be run under VPC? Anybody know?

Even if I can't get it to run (assuming I can get the actual software) it's still a great piece of computer history. Reading through the Users Guide gets kinda funny at times. Explaining in great detail how the mouse moves the cursor and how you can type and edit in the text editor. What the insertion point means. All things most computer users simply take for granted as just the way things work but I suppose for Unix guys moving to a GUI it could be a huge deal.

Fun stuff.

BTW, a side note: Damn does OS X still look like this! The font and color panels have simply been given an Aqua interface. TextEdit, Preview, etc. all basically the same. You could use the NeXt manual to teach yourself OS X pretty good

Private NoCash
Localtalk Engineer 2nd Class
68ks Liberated: Ummm... Does a Newton count?

Proud owner of a Newton 2100, a Quadra 610, and a Powerbook 520c...
Oh, and the G4/733 of course

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  13:46:46
See my webpage for installation instructions. If you don't have the boot floppy and drivers, they're on Apple's FTP server.

If you don't find the CD, OpenStep 4.2 is on the Hotline server. Even if you don't find the CD, it's better to run OpenStep on any newer (post-'95) hardware.

It'll run under VPC, but it'll be really slow. You're better off with an old Pentium.

If you don't find the disks, I'd love to have the books!

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.