All Forums
 Lounge
 Amp
Author Topic  
foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 09 Sep 2002 :  17:04:32
This isn't Mac related in the least unless I run a Mac through it, but I just bought a new bass amp if anyone cares... It's an Ampeg B-2R. 200 watts at 8ohms and 350 at 4 ohms.... oh ya! Musicians Friend gave me free shipping and a 20ft 1/4in. instrument cable free! Although for $549.99 it's the least they can do for a teenager that never realizes how much money he has because he no longer wastes it.

muwahahahahahaha!

Edited by - foetoid on 09 Sep 2002 17:05:06

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 09 Sep 2002 :  18:15:31
That's FRIGGIN' HUGE! What in the world would you need that much power for? 50 watts is enough power for anyone! Our school has a B-50R, and it's loud enough. Anything more, and you'll scare the rhythm section and most of the horns out of the band room! As it is, when our bassist played slap bass during a latin/funk chart last year, I had to use earplugs. Remember, your job is to keep the drummer in line and to outline the chordal structure for the rest of the band, not to kill people!

Personally, I prefer good tone over extreme volumes, and I'll take hollow-state over solid-state any day of the week. The next amp I get will be an all tube Ampeg R-12R.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 09 Sep 2002 :  18:31:10
quote:

That's FRIGGIN' HUGE! What in the world would you need that much power for? 50 watts is enough power for anyone! Our school has a B-50R, and it's loud enough. Anything more, and you'll scare the rhythm section and most of the horns out of the band room! As it is, when our bassist played slap bass during a latin/funk chart last year, I had to use earplugs. Remember, your job is to keep the drummer in line and to outline the chordal structure for the rest of the band, not to kill people!

Personally, I prefer good tone over extreme volumes, and I'll take hollow-state over solid-state any day of the week. The next amp I get will be an all tube Ampeg R-12R.

It's not the volume that I was interested in. Althought it was a nice bonus. With the guys I work with and the conditions we work in require big volume sometimes. And then I have this pressing desire to steal the show with my bass.... I like the tube sound, It's just that I don't like the idea of replacing them. Maybe when I'm a real "pro."

Edited by - foetoid on 09 Sep 2002 18:32:19Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2002 :  00:53:02
Schweet!

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2002 :  02:07:33
foetoid, it's not always a case of sheer volume, but having plenty of 'headroom'

On the other hand... i love a bit of VOLUME when played well

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2002 :  04:35:07
Yes, headroom is good, very good, if you want to talk volume, just wait till I have enough money for a B-4R.... 1000watts!!!! That will only be purchased if I go pro. Don't worry, you don't have to listen to me play all the way down in AU from my house yet.

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.