All Forums
 Quadra / Centris
 a hack, a video dissapointment & wiring
Author Topic  
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 09 Sep 2002 :  13:43:22
I wanna put my cd burner in instead of my floppy, this does not seem too feasable, So maybe best thing I could maybe do is what I wanted all along. I could buy another 840av & add a piece to the top of my existing 840av.

I am scared though cos I want it to look good but I will be hack sawing through one of the cases.

I got my vhs connected to my 1084s monitor today. then I hacked 2 wires together to produce(or at least I thought),

scart to:-

composite video & two audio rca jacks.

The video worked but the audio did not.

I had the rca jacks connected to pins 2 4 & 6 on the scart end.

If I have my vhs downstairs & my 840av upstairs & I got video wires to go from downstairs to upstairs would there be a significant loss in quality?

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 09 Sep 2002 :  14:53:21
quote:
If I have my vhs downstairs & my 840av upstairs & I got video wires to go from downstairs to upstairs would there be a significant loss in quality?
You may need a booster to get it to work, It will depend on how far it is.

quote:
I wanna put my cd burner in instead of my floppy, this does not seem too feasable, So maybe best thing I could maybe do is what I wanted all along. I could buy another 840av & add a piece to the top of my existing 840av.
get a dremil tool it can make cuts that look good .

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 3 stars.
----------------------------------------
My site and web access to service manuals.
Go to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 09 Sep 2002 :  17:14:33
Doesn't the 840av have SVideo? If so, and your VCR has the jack, it does audio together. I don't know what the inside of the 840av looks like, but you may be able to take some sheet metal and bend it around and get another CD-ROM faceplate and make your own bay for it.... You'd probably have to do some welding of some sort and if you can get your hands on a plasma cutter, they work much nicer than a hacksaw.... just make sure you have the metal chassis out of the case away from the motherboard because you'll ruin it if you don't. There's my 2 cents.

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 09 Sep 2002 :  21:03:12
Before you go mutilating a very beautiful Mac, let me offer up this option first. You can build an Internal SCSI Device Case using an old PC case, ( they're everywhere), external scsi cable jumpers, the drives of course, internal scsi cable, and two L-plate slot adaptors. The plans for it is in the Spring 2001 MacAddict edition and if you want I can scan it in and email it to you. Just let me know.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"
Check out the new forum on the block at: http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2002 :  01:06:56
Yes I would like the scan very much.[:-)]

The 840av has the inputs nessacary, I was just playing with what I had, cos I have no money for new wires at the moment[:-(]

Thanks for the replies[:-)]

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2002 :  21:00:08
Shaktiman,

Just wondering why you wouldn't want to put your SCSI burner in a small external case and put that on top of the 840AV case? I have a burner in an old Apple case (on top) and a 4 bay SCSI case that has extra hard drives in it. Works like a dream and would probably be cheaper ($ and time) than buying and cutting another 840AV case. If you need to move the burner to another computer, you are good to go.

Kami

Edited by - Kami on 10 Sep 2002 21:01:42Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  00:58:27
I need to make my computer look smart & neat, to impress certain ppl.

my cd- burner is :-

external (extra wires & clutter)

blue (hardly matching)

bloody noisy

An scsi tower seems like a nice idea.

I am worried though as alot of sources have warned against long scsi chains & I am having a big problem with having 2 hard drives let alone more.

shaktiman

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  04:00:25
quote:

I am worried though as alot of sources have warned against long scsi chains & I am having a big problem with having 2 hard drives let alone more.

A SCSI Tower is a method of shortening the length of a SCSI Chain. One External and one multiple connector internal Ribbon connedtor is much shorter than the combination of more than any two standard external cables and usually equal to or shorter than combining any two external cables.

IIRC, none of your SCSI issues had anything to do with length, which is not usually a problem. I've had chains that pushed the linit in terms of length and never had a length related problem, btw.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  08:59:25
Shakti, why can't you put the burner inside the 840av? It doesn't fit wherethe floppy drive is/was, but it does fit in the top drive bay. All you have to do is remove the present CD-ROM and put the bare burner instead, then hook up the power, SCSI and audio cables. I'm working on putting together a pictorial walkthrough, though!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net

Edited by - cinemafia on 11 Sep 2002 09:01:08Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  11:51:28
We had to work long & hard on my online persona eh trash?

It is all glorious from my side, with the replies I've had here.

quote:
A SCSI Tower is a method of shortening the length of a SCSI Chain. One External and one multiple
connector internal Ribbon connedtor is much shorter than the combination of more than any two
standard external cables and usually equal to or shorter than combining any two external cables.

Ahh so ppl mean actual length of cable?

quote:

IIRC, none of your SCSI issues had anything to do with length, which is not usually a problem. I've had
chains that pushed the linit in terms of length and never had a length related problem, btw.

what is IIRC? yeah my big problem is trying to organize files on 2 drives, it was infuriating using a mac to handle 1!

but good tip trash cheers.

quote:
Shakti, why can't you put the burner inside the 840av? It doesn't fit wherethe floppy drive is/was, but it
does fit in the top drive bay. All you have to do is remove the present CD-ROM and put the bare burner
instead, then hook up the power, SCSI and audio cables. I'm working on putting together a pictorial
walkthrough, though!

I wanted a cd-burner & an 8x cd-rom both in the same casing.

I think I'm just being plain awkward now

But it is either external scsi tower or putting it in the same case.

I have even considered putting it in sideways.

shaktiman

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  12:01:49
840av_650_BezelBoxMOD

Bill of Materials & Methods:

Misc sheet metal/bays from various Mac and PC cadavers and a low profile PC PSU. are assembled underneath and supporting the top right front portion of one nondescript 650 form factor Mac.

With three additional 650 bezels added and the unit set back an appropriate amount to from a curving away fascia in harmony with the vertical offset creating a SCSI Tower (Custom Townhouse Addition Variant) that is aesthetically pleasing to PAF/SAF, or at least keeps them from chewing your @$ . . .

Housing faster tray loading Opticals and various removables in the addition free up the 840av's bays for a RAID and Led's & eye cand kinda crap and being in contact with the main unit allow for IDC Ribbon Cable interconnect of preipherals chain.

. . . add equal portions madness, sweat equity, the remainder of the side of some kind of box and maybe a little paint, YMMV!

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

p.s. scale is only approximated for concept study sketch, btw!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 11 Sep 2002 12:22:42Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  12:49:38
Spledid work commrade.

shaktiman

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  13:44:47
thx, shakti! i fixed the scale, it requires one additional bexel, but it lines up much more nicely if the 840av's bexels are really 7.7" x 2" as AppleSpec would seem to indicate.

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

edit: check that, the 840's bezels would be 2" high and the total width of the 840 would be 7.7" and very close to the exact width of the 650's CD bezel for a bit of nicely balanced asymmetry! and a gentle regular curve back from the 840's more complex recurved plastics. I like the french curves in the recesses of the 650's CD tray as a takeoff on the 840's curvature, but it doesn't lend itself very well to rudimentary "GraphicConvertering" efforts!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 11 Sep 2002 19:26:27Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  21:44:19
quote:

quote:

thx, shakti! i fixed the scale, it requires one additional bexel, but it lines up much more nicely if the 840av's bexels are really 7.7" x 2" as AppleSpec would seem to indicate.

Ooooh now you''re becoming a vhack maniac yourself :D.

HAR!™ THAT'll be the day, more like an idiot with a box of crayola's! and a typing impediment! "bexel!!!!!" :rolleyes:

Speaking of vHacks . . . when you get a chance, lop the feets off that cute lil'box to make it smooth sided and set it on top of an 840av.

Then flip the extra feets parts upside down in a feetsmac boko-maru kinda deal on top of another case bottom-mit-feets fabbing a four bezel boxie base. Set an 840av for the FleetFeetsiest Mac config possible and we'll see just how high the scale on the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeekometer really goes! triple the feetscount! . . . an outstanding feets to mac ratio!

jt .

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  13:05:17
quote:
I wanted a cd-burner & an 8x cd-rom both in the same casing.

I think I'm just being plain awkward now

But it is either external scsi tower or putting it in the same case.

I have even considered putting it in sideways.

Ahhh, now I understand. Well, no, there isn't anyway elegant way to fit two CD-ROM drives inside an 840av. Well, you could try removing all the had drives (and floppy drive) and doing some cutting to the drive bays and mount either the CD-ROM or burner so that it faced downward...but that would be ridiculous...

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  14:39:06
quote:
the pins for the audio out of the Scart connecter (and hence, going to audio IN on the 1084 or 840av)
should be connected to pins 1,3 and 4

pin 1 = audio out right
pin 3 = audio out left
pin 4 = audio grouns

connecting to pins 2 and 6 instead of pins 1 and 3 would have created a perfectly good cable for taking
audio into the VCR!.

That may help some!

dana

Dang!(hiding my face in shame)

quote:
Perhaps I could interest shakti in a Quadra 805... :D

Yes that is what I want.

quote:
Ooooh now you''re becoming a vhack maniac yourself :D.

HAR!™ THAT'll be the day, more like an idiot with a box of crayola's! and a typing impediment!
"bexel!!!!!" :rolleyes:

Yeah well I was scared too ask what bexels were, I THOUGH I MIGHT LOOK STUPID!

You did good trash as is testemant of the fact that dana felt the need to trounce(which she did I'm afraid) your origional effort.

quote:
Speaking of vHacks . . . when you get a chance, lop the feets off that cute lil'box to make it smooth
sided and set it on top of an 840av.

erm no.no I like it feets an all, & looking so sexy as it did it would be permitted to sit aside my 840av.

quote:
Then flip the extra feets parts upside down in a feetsmac boko-maru kinda deal on top of another case
bottom-mit-feets fabbing a four bezel boxie base. Set an 840av for the FleetFeetsiest Mac config
possible and we'll see just how high the scale on the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeekometer really goes! triple the
feetscount! . . . an outstanding feets to mac ratio!

Yes we need more feets!

quote:
Ahhh, now I understand. Well, no, there isn't anyway elegant way to fit two CD-ROM drives inside an
840av. Well, you could try removing all the had drives (and floppy drive) and doing some cutting to
the drive bays and mount either the CD-ROM or burner so that it faced downward...but that would be
ridiculous...

hahahahahahahahahaha.....

This is true indeed, I really like danas virtual hack.

are you planning to manafacture such beasties & go into bussiness dana?

Is 68kmla going to be legitamised & take off, outcustomising Apple itsel with great, innovative computer design?

Does shak ask too many questions?
should I be posting these pointless questions in another post in order to increase my post count?

shaktiman

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  17:01:33
quote:

Yeah well I was scared too ask what bexels were, I THOUGH I MIGHT LOOK STUPID!

nopro, shak! I took care of the looking stupid department quite nicely!
quote:

You did good trash as is testemant of the fact that dana felt the need to trounce(which she did I'm afraid) your origional effort.

I'm not competing with dana in the vHack department, matter of fact, I knew all about her minifeetsbox, mine is a different concept altogether and the two takeoffs I suggested were for different applications. My 650 BezelBox would look mych better in a tight spot, such as cinemo's computer desk unit where Dana's might fit, but would need considerably more airspace in between the units so as not to look cramped. Hers would be a better semi-portable to unhook and use on the run while mine has far greater capacity and tames the cabling and electronics noise issues by eliminating all external hookups and going to a pair of internal ribbon cable chains.

dana works in pixels an I work in sheet metal, plastic , paint and electronics, there's no point in my trying to do more with a sketch than get the concept across, I can already see it in 3-D in my head already, I just couldn't express it in words!

quote:

quote:

Speaking of vHacks . . . when you get a chance, lop the feets off that cute lil'box to make it smooth sided and set it on top of an 840av.

erm no.no I like it feets an all, & looking so sexy as it did it would be permitted to sit aside my 840av.

quote:

quote:

Then flip the extra feets parts upside down in a feetsmac boko-maru kinda deal on top of another case bottom-mit-feets fabbing a four bezel boxie base. Set an 840av for the FleetFeetsiest Mac config possible and we'll see just how high the scale on the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeekometer really goes! triple the feetscount! . . . an outstanding feets to mac ratio!

Yes we need more feets!

quote:

This is true indeed, I really like danas virtual hack.

are you planning to manafacture such beasties & go into bussiness dana?

Is 68kmla going to be legitamised & take off, outcustomising Apple itsel with great, innovative computer design?

not likely!
quote:

Does shak ask too many questions?
should I be posting these pointless questions in another post in order to increase my post count?

The questions are fine, but posting to raise your count could lead to reductions by our fearless leader!

jt .

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2002 :  00:53:46
firstly, will somebody try to access my homepage please, I have been denied access although I can ftp to it.

http://users.pgen.net/shaktiman

quote:

No! no shame in having the right info - go forth and make thee some audio cable!

I went forth & made audio cable, it worked

quote:

I'm not competing with dana in the vHack department, matter of fact, I knew all about her minifeetsbox,
mine is a different concept altogether and the two takeoffs I suggested were for different applications.
My 650 BezelBox would look mych better in a tight spot, such as cinemo's computer desk unit where
Dana's might fit, but would need considerably more airspace in between the units so as not to look
cramped. Hers would be a better semi-portable to unhook and use on the run while mine has far greater
capacity and tames the cabling and electronics noise issues by eliminating all external hookups and
going to a pair of internal ribbon cable chains.

dana works in pixels an I work in sheet metal, plastic , paint and electronics, there's no point in my
trying to do more with a sketch than get the concept across, I can already see it in 3-D in my head
already, I just couldn't express it in words!

yeah, I was going on "looks"

I am now going to do what I should've done origionallly, go look the scart lead link & then hack the cable to make it do the cvbsl luminance thing.

Cheers for all the help!

shaktiman

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2002 :  01:45:04
Well I checked this time, before pulling the cable to bits.

It appears I cant wire it for cvbs/l & chroma.

shaktiman

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2002 :  04:23:17
site forbade me from entering.

dunbar

USA
87 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2002 :  08:21:50
quote:

site forbade me from entering.

what site forbade you?

Linux is my choice. Mac was my guide. M$ is not my friend.Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.