All Forums
 Lounge
 "MACINTOSH PC" IS AN OXYMORON!
Author Topic  
boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  18:28:00
hahah! fooled you. this is part of my "how people act when provoked" study. I wanted to see how many veiws this would get within one hour.

TNxh! haha! thank you for baring wif me.

"was it 6-8 DAYS or 6-8 WEEKS?!"

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  19:35:19
Are you saying that Macintosh PC is an OK term to use or not? Technically it is because PC technically means Personal Computer. Really we should say IBM clone or something like that.

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  20:38:29
I know. everyone thinks "PC" referrs to an IBM compatible, and "OS" referrs to windows. I just wanted to se if there were some of the people that still thought that here, but I guess not.

THnx
"do you wish you were a fish chopped up in a dish?!"

Go to Top of Page

ehurtley

USA
63 Posts
Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  23:32:04
Yeah, I called HP for help with a scanner today (ancient serial port ScanJet 4s, trying to get the drivers,) and they asked me "Macintosh or Windows?", I said Mac, then she asked "Which version of Windows?" (Very matter of factly, obvious that she's so used to hearing people respond 'windows' that it didn't even cross her mind that the Mac OS isn't called 'windows'.) I then said "Macintosh System 7", and she replied "I'm sorry, but it has to be 8, 9, or 10." hehehe... What makes it even funnier is that their website even states that this product is *NOT* compatible with OS 8 or higher, yet nowhere would it let me pick anything earlier than 8.

Proud Liberator of over 25 Macintoshes!Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2002 :  01:29:57
quote:

Yeah, I called HP for help with a scanner today (ancient serial port ScanJet 4s, trying to get the drivers,) and they asked me "Macintosh or Windows?", I said Mac, then she asked "Which version of Windows?" (Very matter of factly, obvious that she's so used to hearing people respond 'windows' that it didn't even cross her mind that the Mac OS isn't called 'windows'.) I then said "Macintosh System 7", and she replied "I'm sorry, but it has to be 8, 9, or 10." hehehe... What makes it even funnier is that their website even states that this product is *NOT* compatible with OS 8 or higher, yet nowhere would it let me pick anything earlier than 8.

Proud Liberator of over 25 Macintoshes!

HAR!™

Btw, i always refer to Macs as Macs and IBM PC compatible machines as PCs. Its just simpler. What really p1sses me off though is when i hear PC users refer to Macs as "Apples". Now if i hear that bloody guy in my IS class with the floewr power iMac say "Mac oss ex" just one more time...

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2002 :  09:08:35
quote:
Now if i hear that bloody guy in my IS class with the floewr power iMac say "Mac oss ex" just one more time...

LOL I'm in that habbit to donno the first time I saw it I read "Mac o s ex" and it stuck.
quote:
What really p1sses me off though is when i hear PC users refer to Macs as "Apples".

Same thing but just to say before to.

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 3 stars.
-------------------------------------
My site and web access to service manuals.
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2002 :  09:16:22
quote:

quote:
Now if i hear that bloody guy in my IS class with the floewr power iMac say "Mac oss ex" just one more time...

LOL I'm in that habbit to donno the first time I saw it I read "Mac o s ex" and it stuck.

I can understand oss-ex being objectionable but WTF are you supposed to call it if not oh-ess-ex??????? Usually I just call it X in general, or 10.1 (which is the only flavor I have as yet) specifically.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

ehurtley

USA
63 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2002 :  12:30:27
quote:

I have to agree with the others. To me, it is "Mac oh ess ex", or, when I'm feeling silly, "macohs ten." The way I see it, there are three basic revisions of the Macintosh operating system. There is the 'system' category (1 through 7.5, called 'System blah' like 'System 6.0.8'), the 'Mac OS' category, from 7.5.5 to 9.2, which I refer to as 'Mac oh ess blah', like 'Mac O S 8'.
Then there is the newest category. Mac OS X. Which, to me, is 'Mac oh ess ex'. This refers to the Mach/BSD-based system that is the current offering from Apple. And is called (to me) by that name, followed by its version number. The 'X' itself is *NOT* a version number, it is a title. So the current version of the Mac OS (nicknamed Jaguar) to me, is called Mac OS X, version 10.2, which I pronounce 'mac oh ess ex, version ten point two' When I feel like saying it shorter, I'll just say Mac OS 10.2, leaving the 'X' off completely. But I have never referred to any verson of the Mac OS as 'Mac oh ess ten' because there was no 'Mac OS 10'. There is the general 'Mac OS X', and the specific Mac OS X 10.0.0, 10.1.5, 10.2, etc...

Proud Liberator of over 25 Macintoshes!Go to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2002 :  09:13:36
It's either Mac oss ten or Mac O.S. ten. If I'm quoting a version number it's O.S. ten 10.x or O.S. 10.x.

As for PCs everybody surely know that PC is short for personal computer and that the IBM clone thingys are called 'PeeCee' instead, just the same as Windows is actually Windohze. A Mac is technically a PC but not a PeeCee. Got it?

--
Mark Benson

FlatPackMacs http://fpm.gotdns.com

2nd Lieutenant - 68kMLA, LC Quartermaster
Flat Packing Macs for 68k MLA airlift excercises
Macs Liberated = 14!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2002 :  09:58:37
quote:

It's either Mac oss ten or Mac O.S. ten. If I'm quoting a version number it's O.S. ten 10.x or O.S. 10.x.

Then why the freakin' BIG@$$ Furball X on the stoopid 10.2 box!?!!!!!!!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2002 :  13:51:20
Don't knock the Furball X it kicks ass. I think it's cool. Whoever's idea it was ought to get a design award. The PIXAR™ fur is really cool. Has anyone seen the accomanying Wallpaper - it's ver Austin Powers After all - when was the last time M$ went to that much trouble to design a logo and actually got one to aesthetically pleasing. My only regret is that they didn't spray Jag fur onto the Apple logo on the splash screen, it would have been a real Apple style stunt if they had done that!

--
Mark Benson

FlatPackMacs http://fpm.gotdns.com

2nd Lieutenant - 68kMLA, LC Quartermaster
Flat Packing Macs for 68k MLA airlift excercises
Macs Liberated = 14!Go to Top of Page

Eft37

USA
193 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2002 :  13:52:47
Seen this term:
MacIntosh

Is that a burger?

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2002 :  15:30:12
I still prefer the Aqua X.

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2002 :  17:18:02
People who went to the recent Australian Jaguar Seminars (me!) got a
Great Big Freaking A1 sized Furry X Poster!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.