All Forums
 Mac II Line
 Silent web browsing fx?
Author Topic  
ehurtley

USA
63 Posts
Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  14:43:59
Okay, I got the background picture, and whaddaya know? My hard drive dies.

Problem: IIfx with dead hard drive.

Solution: Replace hard drive.

Problem: Tried three hard drives, none are recognized, even using third-party software.

Solution: Skip the hard drive, I've got a 230 3.5" Magneto-Optical drive.

Problem: It's an internal drive.

Solution: Put it in the unused second floppy slot. Hey, it works! Odd that it works on the same SCSI bus, with the same SCSI cable, when 2 known good hard drives (and the original, now 'dead') don't... (I even found a disk that had System 7.5.5 bootable already on it.)

Idea: Skip the hard drive altogether, and have it a floppy/magnetooptical system. And if I disable those pesky power supply fans........

Project: 1. Remove/disable the power supply fans, and let it run for awhile, with a temperature probe in to see if it gets too hot.
2. Permanently mount the MO disk, and make sure it lines up with the spare drive slot (right now it's just sitting in there, and doesn't line up properly, so I'm using it with the top off.)
3. Set up a MO disk with auto-booting RAM disk software that loads from the MO, then switches booting to the RAM disk. (I know someone has a web page detailing how to do this with a dual-floppy SE.)
4. Acquire a lot more memory for the fx. (It currently only has 8MB, To be usable as a web browsing computer, I'll need at least 32MB, preferably the full 128.)

Conclusion: I'll have a silent, graphical web browsing Macintosh IIfx. (With an empty floppy drive, and an empty 230MB MO drive to spare.)

Anyone know of a good source for 128MB of fx memory? (I'll be sure to fully document the project with photos and post it somewhere.)

Proud Liberator of over 25 Macintoshes!

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 16 Dec 2002 :  21:52:16
COOooOOL
that sounds like... well what my idea of the perfect IIsi or Q605 is.. silently operating machine for web browsing and stuff ;)

now just make it work as a web server and we have something cool!

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.