All Forums
 Lounge
 Beta testers
Author Topic  
AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  14:21:59
I am looking for 3 - 4 beta testers for a total conversion for EV Nova. Some of you may remember me posting pictures here a few months ago showing the Mac Plus easter egg ship from it (Mmmmm, 68K propaganda..). Since the only way I have at the moment to distribute it is by mail, I will need a shiping address from anyone who wants to test it. The website for the plugin is here

http://homepage.mac.com/anubis/evstuff/index.html

AnubisTTP, Tank Commander, Bolo Division
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:21

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  15:41:57
Ooooh....cool. This makes me want to buy EV Nova.
Are there any other conversion plugins like this? Maybe something that would add Star Wars/Trek ships and storylines?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  22:37:48
I'd be glad to give it a try and beta test. E-mail me a copy of the plug to captainz@optonline.net

------------------
Captain Z - Mobile Operations Commander
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

23 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2002 :  05:42:20
The beta of the plug is ~50 MB...
Anyway, AnubisTTP, did Adrian not follow through with the hosting?

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2002 :  06:24:43
quote:

Ooooh....cool. This makes me want to buy EV Nova. Are there any other conversion plugins like this? Maybe something that would add Star Wars/Trek ships and storylines?

There are a couple people making Star Wars conversions, and someone is making a rather nice looking Star Trek conversion. I think there is informaiton on them at www.ev-nova.net

quote:

The beta of the plug is ~50 MB...
Anyway, AnubisTTP, did Adrian not follow through with the hosting?

The last I heard from him, he was looking for a server somewhere to put it on, that was three weeks ago. I have not given up hope on getting hosting yet, but logic says that I should have a plan B, and mailing the plugin on a CD to beta testers was my plan B. Captian Z, email me an address I can ship to at arrakis666@yahoo.com and I will mail you a copy of the CD.

Macs Liberated:21Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 07 Sep 2002 :  06:43:55
Sounds kool. Sign me up!

I just sent an email to you. This sounds sa-weet!

Also, dunno if it would do any good (my speeds ain't great), but i CAN host stuff for people just fyi.

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
| 68k.torpedobird.com <-- Official Hotline Server |Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2002 :  12:09:57
CD recieved. I will pop the plug in tonight after work, and test it out for a couple hours. I will have plenty of time to test this week, because my parents are leaving for a cruise to Bermuda Saturday morning. (It's thier 30th anniversary). Thanks!

------------------

23 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2002 :  14:22:41
Well, someone else has already discovered one bug that will scramble the generic phrases ("No Target", "You are cleared to land" etc )if you are running one of the newer versions of Nova. If the generic phrases are messed up when you try it, you can fix it by deleting the "misc strings" resource ID 2002 from the Polycon Core 1 file.

Macs Liberated:22Go to Top of Page

vanman2004
Starting Member

USA
33 Posts
Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  06:05:01
You want me to post it on my iDisk (100MB!)? Just mail me a cd.

Email me for details.

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  08:56:05
I may have found two errors with some ships: the Ore Frieghter and Cargo Platform. They seem to have incorrect target pictures:

http://homepage.mac.com/captainz/polycon/ore_freighter.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/captainz/polycon/cargo_platform.jpg

Unfortunetly, it is hard to make some of these changes on my system, becuase ResEdit malfunctions under OS X.

So far, I've found it to be a very interesting storyline, and overall a well done plug. The only problems I've had so far is the generic text error (which was described before) the incorrect target pictures. So far though, I haven't run into any mission storylines yet. More soon to come.

------------------

23 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV Stuff

Edited by - Captain Z on 14 Sep 2002 08:57:24Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  12:07:25
I think I know what is causing the target picture bug. In 1.0, varient ships used the targeting pictures from the ships they came from, in one of the newer versions they changed this. I am already working on a patch. I think most of the missons where you actually work for one of the goverments require a combat rating of around 100 (I did not want the player to get a mission where he has to kill large numbers of ships while he was still flying around in a carryall or something similar). Off the top of my head, I think you can get the half decent missions off of the Vecon Mentat, Zemer, Nibraak, and any of the bars in Miamier space.

Vanman, if all goes well, the plugin will be ready to release to the public in another month or two, at which point I will very much need someone to host it.

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  20:41:38
Found a few more bugs and descrepencies:

Alpha Centauri, Alpha Centauri system: (picture)
The planet name shows as Alpha Centaur1.

Planet ERG-08, in systems west of system ERG-08: (picture)
These planets occur twice. Each have the same names, and have no graphics. Apparently something is causing the same planet to show up 3 times.

Icara Shipyard, Icara system: (picture)
The problem is not with the actual station, but rather the two "wings" that are to the two sides of it. Each of them are unable to be landed on, but the 'Is Station" tag isn't on for these parts. They think they are planets. A simple solution would also be to make them into one big station (one spöb, not three), or make the two wings in the 5th or higher range of in system spöbs (so that it can't be cycled through with the 1-4 keys).

Tydirum Rev. B ship: (picture)
Shows as a Vell-os Javelin target graphic.

Grammar Check: (picture)
It doesn't quite look like it's worded right. You may want to reword it.

Upgrades in the Outfit Shop: (picture)
This type of upgrade traditionally has been one that can be made but not sold (thus a permenent upgrade). I don't know if you intended it to be this way, but it may be that you forgot to activate the no selling tag.

More to come...

------------------

23 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV Stuff

Edited by - Captain Z on 14 Sep 2002 20:43:11Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 15 Sep 2002 :  18:04:41
I made a fix that will (hopefully) un-screw up all the ingame strings and fixes quite a few other bugs. Here is the download link

http://www.homepage.mac.com/anubis/polyconfix.sit

Fixes:
String lists are no longer garbled
Polycon entry misson requires combat rating of 80 instead of 800
Varient ships should no longer have incorrect target pictures
The arms on the Icara shipyard can no longer be selected with the number keys
Invisible planets in the ERG systems are gone
The prison transport no longer comes with a tractor beam that is worth 8 times the price of the ship
PSPs and ESGs now use a little fuel
Alpha Centuari is no longer spelled with a 1
The Ferry Vecon Rep misson is no longer busted
Mission to take treaty to the Meridian capitol no longer leads to a Polycon planet instead of the capitol
Several other small bug fixes.

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.