B&W G3 could get GeForce 2MX??
Author Topic  
SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  12:08:57
I found an interesting site here:

http://www.cybercoment.com/macgeforce.htm

It looks very much like the NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX Mac ROM flash will drive a few PCI versions of the card. This bodes well as my current alternatives for a new card are either a Radeon Mac edn., which are rare in the US never mind here, or a Radeon 7000 PCI which is quite frankly not a good card, especially given the reports of trouble it has had with OS X 10.2. The only GeForce 2 MX I can find in PCI from a PC supplier i know will take it back if I whine is £54. The Radeon 7000 PCI is ALOT more and not as good all told. Does anyone in this place have any more info about flashing PCI GeForce2 MX cards for the Mac?

--
Mark Benson

FlatPackMacs http://fpm.gotdns.com

2nd Lieutenant - 68kMLA, LC Quartermaster
Flat Packing Macs for 68k MLA airlift excercises
Macs Liberated = 14!

cyberwolf

91 Posts
Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  18:23:07
Well thats pretty sweet, I guess I would consider upgrading but the rom flash deal is almost always buggy. [Havent looked at the site]but Im guessing you would need a PC to flash it (thats the deal with the APG geforce cards)

Seriously though, the stuff that floats around about the 7000 is blown way out of proportion. Mine runs perfectly in Jaguar and always has run fine. The problems were mostly with the beige G3s and I hear alot of those bugs are getting worked out.

I heard someone say that on a scale of 1-10 1 being a rage Pro and a 10 being a Radeon ME the 7000 is a 3. BULLSHIT! Ive used them all AND seen benchmarks, the 7000 is slower then the ME but not alot and it blows the Rage out of the water completely...

Sorry needed to vent.

Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  19:45:46
quote:
I found an interesting site here:

http://www.cybercoment.com/macgeforce.htm

It looks very much like the NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX Mac ROM flash will drive a few PCI versions of the card. This bodes well as my current alternatives for a new card are either a Radeon Mac edn., which are rare in the US never mind here, or a Radeon 7000 PCI which is quite frankly not a good card, especially given the reports of trouble it has had with OS X 10.2. The only GeForce 2 MX I can find in PCI from a PC supplier i know will take it back if I whine is £54. The Radeon 7000 PCI is ALOT more and not as good all told. Does anyone in this place have any more info about flashing PCI GeForce2 MX cards for the Mac?

For some reason, I remember hearing somewhere that the GeForce 2 MX PCI doesn't work with Mac flashing because the ROM size is to small for the Mac ROM. I could be confusing it with the GeForce 4 MX or Ti.

quote:
I heard someone say that on a scale of 1-10 1 being a rage Pro and a 10 being a Radeon ME the 7000 is a 3. BULL****! Ive used them all AND seen benchmarks, the 7000 is slower then the ME but not alot and it blows the Rage out of the water completely...

I recall most people comparing the 7000 to a Rage 128. Here is how I would put it:

1 - Rage Pro
3 - Rage 128
4 - Rage 128 Pro (AGP)
5 - Radeon 7000
9 - Radeon ME PCI
10 - Radeon ME AGP

------------------
Captain Z - Mobile Operations Commander
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

23 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2002 :  08:33:27
Ahh well it can't really help if the you buy a PCI graphics card and the damn thing is DOA before you even touch it. I can't get it to work in either my dad's PC or mine.

I'm not going to bother. I think it's all a bit futile really. I think I'll just save my pennies froa Radeon Mac Edn.......

--
Mark Benson

FlatPackMacs http://fpm.gotdns.com

2nd Lieutenant - 68kMLA, LC Quartermaster
Flat Packing Macs for 68k MLA airlift excercises
Macs Liberated = 14!Go to Top of Page

Squibix
Starting Member

45 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2002 :  14:29:55
You might want to check out this thread from the Ars Mac Ach forum..

Edited by - Squibix on 10 Sep 2002 14:31:48Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2002 :  15:32:06
As I recall a flashed PCI geforce 2 would only work in b/w G3's and later and it was people with beige's that really wanted them.

Also it had to be a GeForce 2 not an MX 200 or MX 400 and ones with 32 Mb worked far better than ones with 64 MB

I'm pretty sure you can flash a GeForce 2 without a PC but you have to use one to flash a GeForce 3 (Ti's don't work)

My suggestion would be to Flash a Radeon 8500 plenty of people have been doing this over at AYM and had pretty good luck. It doesn't require a PC and even the LE cards work if you flash them with the correct ROM file. 8500's have dual display support and I imagine even in twin view mode the performance is better than that of a 7000, it also supports quartz extreme. A PC 8500 LE goes for little more than a Mac Radeon 7000 and less than the Mac Radeon

I've actually only flashed VooDoo cards but when my Cube arrives (it was meant to be here yesterday!!) I'm going to flash an ASUS 8200 (pure GeForce 3) then when I have the time I'll move the Cubes power board sell the GeForce and throw in a Radeon 8500 as I wan't something that has working TV-out and I suspect this is the best card that will fit in the Cube for some time. I forgot to mention this is the one thing that doesn't work on a flashed GeForce 3

I'd check out www.xlr8yourmac.com if I were you!

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.