Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  05:57:27
quote:
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 16:54:35 -0700
Subject: [swap] Free Quads and accessories
Message-ID: <B996A54A.7D0%raino@mindspring.com>

Hi Swap team,
I have a pallet of Quadra/Centris/Performas available, free for pick up in
Eugene, Oregon 97402. You have to promise not to resell them and to wipe the
drive. My donation cup runneth over. If you can get here, you can have 'em.
To augment the computers, I also have an excess of apple external CD drives,
14.4 external modems, 13" monitors, various makes and models of external
hard drives, and too many printers, various models of Apple and HP. Help me
be able to walk around in my shop...Keep these Macs outa the landfill.
raino
MacRenewal
Rejuvenating Computers For Our Community

and

quote:
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 08:18:46 -0700
Subject: [swap] FREE PICK UP ONLY
Message-ID: <B9962C66.744%raino@mindspring.com>

In Eugene, Oregon 97402
2 pallets mixed machines, 512 to SE/30s. PLEASE: do not as me to ship!
Contact me for details.
raino

Cheers!
CC

Air Marshall, 605 sQUADRAn

"What Microsoft has got in there is a grotesque, badly-documented pile of poo it doesn't fully understand itself." - The Register, 23/8/02

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  06:30:17
Clearly there are many more of these old 68K Macs turning up than this valiant but tiny Army can handle--too many wars on too many fronts! Most of us seem to be collectors and/or hobbyist-tinkerers, or (like me) old-timers who have just accumulated these undying machines and can't bear to get rid of them (my SE used to accompany me wherever I went, like R2D2, but in its own bag).

What's needed is some kind of PROGRAM to collect and reburbish them, and then make them available to anyone who wants one--maybe as loaners? I know, they're orphans--most people want computers for Internet surfing, and nothing beats a fast 2002 machine for that, and once you have an iMac, you use it for everything. But a well-publicized 'lending library' of old Macs might interest schools, kids, sentimental old-timers, hobbyists, etc. These machines are still fine for small businesses and non-profits on tight budgets, too.

It's safe to assume the old-Mac resellers, like MacResQ, have all they need and can sell--otherwise they'd be snapping up these free pallet-loads. So at this point, we need an angel--an ENDOWMENT. Yes, for the 68K MLA Foundation, dedicated to the rescue, preservation, restoration, and promotion of Ye Olde Macintoshes!

Let's see: how deep are YOUR pockets?

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 03 Sep 2002 :  07:58:07
quote:

Clearly there are many more of these old 68K Macs turning up than this valiant but tiny Army can handle--too many wars on too many fronts!

What's needed is some kind of PROGRAM to collect and reburbish them, and then make them available to anyone who wants one--maybe as loaners? I know, they're orphans--most people want computers for Internet surfing, and nothing beats a fast 2002 machine for that, and once you have an iMac, you use it for everything. But a well-publicized 'lending library' of old Macs might interest schools, kids, sentimental old-timers, hobbyists, etc. These machines are still fine for small businesses and non-profits on tight budgets, too.

What's disturbing in this case is that the person in Oregon is actually someone well known in the community for reforbing and placing old Macs. What I don't recall, though, is her criteria for what macs are suitable for placement.

This is the crux of the reuse problem and it exists on both the Mac and PC fronts- what is the minimum "usable" system to place and what is the minimum system that people want to consider taking into their homes/offices?

My experience with placing refurbished computers is from the PC world, so let me speak from that perspective.Personally, I think a mid-to-high Pentium I, with a decent amount of memory, is a reasonable trailing-edge box for those who must run some kind of Microsoft Windows and Office while being able to surf most web sites without being closed out by Flash/Shockwave/etc. This class of system is dirt cheap and is pretty much at the the disposal point for many companies.

However, if I check one online database of donation requests, I will see something like this: "Computers wanted for poor inner-city school to teach basic literacy. Minimum system desired: Pentium III". The ones that will take Macs are just as bad- minimum system PPC.

What do you do then?

<<<john>>>

<<<john>>>Go to Top of Page

ehurtley

USA
63 Posts
Posted - 03 Sep 2002 :  16:31:23
DANG! I live in Portland, and just spent the weekend in Eugene with my in-laws! If I had know, I would have filled up the Explorer for the trip back. I have in the past refurbished and given away Quadra-level machines for use as Internet machines. (OS 8.1 with iCab works great.)

Where was this originally posted?

Proud Liberator of over 25 Macintoshes!Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 03 Sep 2002 :  17:08:17
quote:

What do you do then?

Private collection! I don't like to see schools demanding P3s or G3s, but what can you do?
Find another school, maybe. After all, it was only a few years ago that our primary school got a few dozen Apple ][s from the high school that was chucking them out.
Actually, now that I think of it, that was a decade ago.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 03 Sep 2002 :  18:25:58
quote:

Dunno, but why don't you e-mail that 'Raino' and check? The Macs are probably still available.

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 03 Sep 2002 :  18:58:41
quote:

Off hand, I'd say the LEM Swaplist.

<<<john>>>Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 03 Sep 2002 :  20:11:50
quote:

quote:

Off hand, I'd say the LEM Swaplist.
>

Correct. Sorry, I should have mentioned that in my original post.

Cheers!
CC

"What Microsoft has got in there is a grotesque, badly-documented pile of poo it doesn't fully understand itself." - The Register, 23/8/02Go to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  05:12:50
Here's another one... I just can't stop myself!

quote:
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 10:20:56 -0400
Subject: [swap] Fire Sale

25 Compact Macs -- SE's, Classics, & Pluses - most of them work
$1 each if you buy all of them and come get them

Dan Pennington
Lansing, Michigan

Cheers!
CC

"What Microsoft has got in there is a grotesque, badly-documented pile of poo it doesn't fully understand itself." - The Register, 23/8/02Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.