68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 Officially indroducing myself to the group...
Author Topic  
kastegir

USA
58 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  23:48:21
Well, I suppose I should officially introduce myself to the group. I've been reading and posting for a couple weeks, since I ran across the site doing research for a Powerbok 180 I was restoring.

I've been working with Macs since 1985 and have been a confirmed Mac addict ever since. I got my first Mac (sort of) in 1989. Actually it was an Amax II Mac plus emulator for the Amiga. I'd been an Apple IIGS guy until I was blown away by the Amiga 2000. I later sold the Amiga and picked up a Mac IIvx, and have had real Macs ever since.

My current stable includes a non-backlit Portable, an SE/30 (I always seem to have one of these on hand, they're my favorite classic mac), a Quadra 700, a Powerbook 180 (and another on the way from eBay as of tonight), a G4 Cube (my main desktop machine), an iBook 600/combo (,y main laptop), a Pismo G3/500 (that I gave to my wife) and an iMac DV/SE (that we got for our son). I bought the Portable because I saw one in college and always wanted one. After buying and restoring it, I plan to sell it on eBay sometime soon. The SE/30 is pretty tricked out. It has the Micron Xceed internal greyscale video card and a Daystar 40mHz accellerator. I've also got a scsi/ethernet adapter, so I can surf the web with it. It's in storage for now, until I find a good place to put it in the house. My wife doesn't exactly share my need to have these old boxes aroun everywhere...

I just got into 1xx series powerbooks and have bought a couple 180s to work on. I'd really like to get a 180c, but haven't been able to get one at a good price yet. I even managed to track down a VST Thinpak external battery, so I can run the Powerbooks for a loooong time.

I just sold one of the prizes in my collection, a Backlit Mac Portable with 5MB of ram and an internal modem. I sold it on eBay to a private collector in Japan. He paid over $150 in shipping just to have it sent by FedEx because he wanted it NOW. I completely overhauled the machine, and I hear it's going to be on display in some museum in Japan. That was kind of cool. :-)

At various points in my Mac-career, I've had most every 68k model I could think of, from the Powerbook 100 to the Mac IIVX to the Powerbook 520c. I think my favorites are still the Powerbook 100, the Mac SE/30 and my new favorite, the Powerbook 180.

I'll always have a soft spot for the Quadra 700. When I got my first real job in 1995, they gave me an old Quadra 700 to use to design the departmental website. Not only did I design it on the Quadra, that machine serverd the website for the Michigan Department of Agriculture for several months until our SGI hardware came in. Years later, now living in Southern California, when I needed an older machine to set up as a printer/file server for my in-house LAN, I of course ran out and bought a Quadra 700 on eBay, for $4.75.

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  23:51:52
Wow great story!

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 3 stars.
-------------------------------------
My site and web access to service manuals.
Go to Top of Page

kastegir

USA
58 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  00:03:54
Please forgive the occasional typo this evening. My Apple Pro Keyboard (on my Cube) and the 3 drinks I had at the party tonight are not mixing well...

Actually, I haven't like any of the Apple keyboards since the original Apple Extended Keyboard (codenamed Saratoga). That one just has a great feel. All of the ones since have been substandard and mushy. I have a good one somewhere, but it just doesn't look right with the Cube. That's just my opinion, I cold be wrong.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  00:20:57
Welcome!

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  01:21:43
quote:

Please forgive the occasional typo this evening. My Apple Pro Keyboard (on my Cube) and the 3 drinks I had at the party tonight are not mixing well...

Actually, I haven't like any of the Apple keyboards since the original Apple Extended Keyboard (codenamed Saratoga). That one just has a great feel. All of the ones since have been substandard and mushy. I have a good one somewhere, but it just doesn't look right with the Cube. That's just my opinion, I cold be wrong.

LOL! Just paint the cube beige and it'll look just fine with a decent keyboard!

It's always nice to welcome a new comrade to the MLA who's got more time on Macs than I do! Welcome aboard!

(actually, the paper insert hack in beige with a IIcfx model designation, rainbow logo, bottom edge ripple, case divider line and a fake micro-floppy slot would almost make a cube look presentable!)

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  06:42:19
quote:

Years later, now living in Southern California, when I needed an older machine to set up as a printer/file server for my in-house LAN, I of course ran out and bought a Quadra 700 on eBay, for $4.75.

Just out of curiosity, why do you need a printer/file server for a Mac in-house LAN? Is there an advantage over peer-to-peer file sharing and printer sharing? All the Macs can see the printer(s), right?

Actually, I'm trying to think of a use for my IIfx.....

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

kastegir

USA
58 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  09:56:08
On the LAN in my house, I need to bridge ethernet to localtalk. My Laserwriter Select 360 is a localtalk (or parallel) only printer, so in order to print from my newer macs, I need to bridge to localtalk. The Quadra, running Localtalk Bridge does the trick.

I had things set up using a powerbook as the bridge, with the scsi/ethernet adapter, but that seemed like a waste of a good powerbook. With the bridge software running, the printer shows up under OSX print manager. I tried putting a cubeport in the cube to bridge from there, but the bridge software doesn't run under classic.

I have a Quadra 800 logic board on the way to swap into the Q700. Can't leave anything stock in this house. :-)

Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  11:39:37
quote:

On the LAN in my house, I need to bridge ethernet to localtalk.

I do the same thing on my home/home-office network, as my old QMS JetPlus laser printer doesn't do Ethernet, but I use a Farallon iPrint Adaptor, a hardware LocalTalk bridge. It cost me about $100 a few years ago, which is a lot more than $4.75, but on the other hand it doesn't have a fan and an HD going--just a little rounded box with LEDs that sits there and does its job.

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

kastegir

USA
58 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  17:01:01
Yeah, I was using an HP Jetdirect box for a while, but it didn't come up as an Appletalk printer then. I had to manually put in the IP of the Jetdirect as an LPR printer host. It worked well, but every time I would power down the Jetdirect or the printer, it would pull a new IP from my ISP and the printer would get lost.

I figure, at least with the Localtalk Bridge software, the printer stays put. Besides, I'm putting a 9gig SCSI drive in the Q700, so I'll have some backup storage space as well. :-)

Go to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.