All Forums
 UNIX on 68k
 A/UX Startup from OS 8.1--help, por favor
Author Topic  
tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  22:54:09
Just came into an Apple Workgroup Server 95. Added a second HD, put OS 8.1 on one HD and A/UX 3.1.1 on the other. It's got 48MB RAM.

Both 8.1 and A/UX work fine, but I can't boot into A/UX when I've started up from the OS 8.1 hard drive. I've kept the A/UX Startup app and its related files on the MacPartition of the A/UX HD as the A/UX FAQs recommend, but it won't work. I get the following error:

"Initialization error: standalone program space is too small ... A/UX Startup needs to run in a certian memory location. Either you are using a shared memory system or the System heap is too large."

I have virtual memory off (in 8.1 -- it's always on in A/UX). So I figure maybe the OS is taking up too much memory--A/UX Startup is used to running in 7.0.1. So then I figure, maybe it has something to do with backwards compatibility for 24-bit addressing, which set a RAM ceiling of 8MB. So I disabled extensions to the point where OS 8.1 was taking up 6.9MB of RAM. A/UX Startup takes 512k, so I figured that'd keep me within the first 8MB of system memory.

No dice.

Then I figured maybe A/UX was using so much RAM for itself that too little was left for the Mac OS to run A/UX Startup. But once in A/UX, I saw that it was leaving 16MB (out of a total 48MB physical RAM) for Mac OS. So that can't be it either.

Anyone have any ideas on how I might proceed here? All the FAQs say that A/UX will start up with any OS version (so long as the OS version is compatible with the Mac itself) -- it's just the special version of 7.0.1 _within_ A/UX that can't be upgraded.

Oh, and one more thing: The computer will not boot from the internal hard drives when they're connected to either SCSI channel on the AWS PDS card. I am able to boot from a floppy, and install OSes on either HD, and copy files to and from, etc. But I can boot from the hard drives only if I connect them to the motherboard SCSI port. Anyone know what that's about?

TIA for any clues, info or pointers on either issue.

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
Q605 full '040 36/1.2G/enet/7.6.1-NetBSD dual-boot
SE/30 FPU 20/500/enet/A/UX

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  22:57:36
HAR!™ I just posted on fritter for you to check here for info on a corrupted booter utility on your AUX image download! LOL!

Why not use the same userid on both forums?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  23:08:34
quote:
HAR!™ I just posted on fritter for you to check here for info on a corrupted booter utility on your AUX image download! LOL!

Thanx for the tip--I saw that discussion but didn't think it was relevant since the problem there was that the person couldn't start up A/UX under any circumstances. But I'll try to get ahold of another copy of the booter.

quote:
Why not use the same userid on both forums?

I didn't even think about it when I registered at each place, and then I discovered that I can change every aspect of my profie except my userID.

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
Q605 full '040 36/1.2G/enet/7.6.1-NetBSD dual-boot
SE/30 FPU 20/500/enet/A/UXGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  00:40:11
While it's true that the user can't change thier nick, I can change it for you if you'd like...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.