68k Peripherals
 Internet to 630...
Author Topic  
Tizio
Starting Member

USA
20 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  17:12:29
I'm trying to get my 630 on the net through my cable modem...but it doesn't have ethernet so I can't plug it into my router.

Here's the plan:
Cable modem --> Router
Router --> PowerBook 540c
PowerBook 540c --> 630 via. LocalTalk

Any ideas on how to make this work??

rm -fr /bin/laden

gdogkzo

147 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  17:59:26
Pickup a LCPDS ethernet adapter for $5. Best way to do it.

Go to Top of Page

Tizio
Starting Member

USA
20 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  18:46:08
quote:

Hmmm...good idea

rm -fr /bin/ladenGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  19:45:37
quote:

quote:

Hmmm...good idea

A better one would be to get a Com Slot NIC and chuck that internal modem in the garbage if it's still in there, that POS hogs one of your two serial ports besides being slower than . . . !

Don't give up your only general purpose expansion slot on any 630 family Mac when the only use for the Com Slot other than a NIC is a useless modem!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Tizio
Starting Member

USA
20 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  20:26:39
quote:

A better one would be to get a Com Slot NIC and chuck that internal modem in the garbage if it's still in there, that POS hogs one of your two serial ports besides being slower than . . . !

Don't give up your only general purpose expansion slot on any 630 family Mac when the only use for the Com Slot other than a NIC is a useless modem!

First, the modem that came with my 630 was an external 2400 baud PoS.

Second....where could I find a nic card for the comm slot then??

Thanks!

rm -fr /bin/laden

Edited by - Tizio on 01 Sep 2002 20:26:55Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  21:05:19
quote:

quote:

Second....where could I find a nic card for the comm slot then??

all the same places a you'll probably find a PDS NIC! eBay would be the best bet or post a "want to buy" in the trading post!

jt .

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  00:45:38
Definately. That way you still get to keep your LC PDS slot free for a video card or a DOS card!

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  01:32:32
quote:

Definately. That way you still get to keep your LC PDS slot free for a video card or a DOS card!

Nah! the 630 is an AV hub, 640x480x16bit is the optimal resolution for full screen video and the specs on the LC PDS video cards are aweful. If it's not a DOS compatible, there's no easy way to do the DOS thing.

Best to get the PAS16 or the MPEG card for the 630 series and stick to AV uses and get a microquadra if you want to run a big monitor. Then put it on a switching setup to share it with your main machine, the microquadra and to watch video from the 630 (like I do on my 21" Radius )

jt .

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  23:32:28
quote:

Nah! the 630 is an AV hub, 640x480x16bit is the optimal resolution for full screen video and the specs on the LC PDS video cards are aweful. If it's not a DOS compatible, there's no easy way to do the DOS thing.

Best to get the PAS16 or the MPEG card for the 630 series and stick to AV uses and get a microquadra if you want to run a big monitor. Then put it on a switching setup to share it with your main machine, the microquadra and to watch video from the 630 (like I do on my 21" Radius )

Hah. Good thought. I was just blabbering on about the DOS card idea because i might be doing a motherboard switcheroo with a parted out DOS 630 soon... *dreams of Linux running in a window on his 630's desktop*

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 03 Sep 2002 :  02:38:26
quote:

quote:

Hah. Good thought. I was just blabbering on about the DOS card idea because i might be doing a motherboard switcheroo with a parted out DOS 630 soon... *dreams of Linux running in a window on his 630's desktop*

Sorry to dash your dreams, but Linux won't run on DOS compatibility cards, AFAIK, I wanted to install it on mine in the WordWrightAV hack to have it running under both OS's, but it's a no go due to funky unsupported hardware. That's not how DOS windowing works on the 630 cards at any rate, you toggle between desktops, IIRC.

jt .

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 03 Sep 2002 :  04:58:18
quote:

Sorry to dash your dreams, but Linux won't run on DOS compatibility cards, AFAIK, I wanted to install it on mine in the WordWrightAV hack to have it running under both OS's, but it's a no go due to funky unsupported hardware. That's not how DOS windowing works on the 630 cards at any rate, you toggle between desktops, IIRC.

Dhamnit. Oh well. At least it beats the crap out of what was my main PC before i got my Pentium 166 - a 386SX-25.

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.