68k Peripherals
 2 internal SCSI HDs in a SE/30
Author Topic  
nevermind
Starting Member

1 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  02:44:45
Hi folks,

I've got a question: I've got a SE/30 with a 250MB HardDrive and would like to install a second System (actual system: 7.5.3) without having to format and make two partitions of the actual disk. Is there any way to switch between two systems installed on the same disk.

If not: Recently I purchased a LC and a SCSI cable with several ports. Is it possible to remove the actual SCSI HD cable, replace it by the new one & connect one port to the SE/30, the other one to its harddisk and the next port to the LC's HD? Do I need special software or does this simply not work?

If neither of these work, can you give me another solution? Thanks

Liberated Macs: SE/30, LCII, LC, (LCIII: gave it to a friend)

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  11:42:59
The Startup Disk control panel lets you designate whatever Mac Volume is available at startup, whether they are all on different partitions of one or on separate drives or a RAM Disk, etc.

If you have a power splitter, multiple connector cable, drives with low enough power consumption, low heat output and enough room to install them so as not to put the configutation outside the machine's tolerances, it shouldn't be a problem.

The drive from your LC and the SE/30 drives might be too power hungry, dunno. Have you got a larger drive to swap from another machine. Partitioning a 500MB drive from somewhere would be the best approach.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  18:40:50
To use two System folders that live on the same volume (i.e. on one partition on one hard drive), I belive you can use Apple's System Picker utility. It's one of those development-beta apps (like TomeViewer), but it works fine AFAIK. Try the 68kmla Hotline server and/or mirror--I think that's where I got mine.

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
Q605 full '040 36/1.2G/enet/7.6.1-NetBSD dual-boot
SE/30 FPU 20/500/enet/A/UXGo to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  19:25:53
I didn't remember the older startup disk control panels having the option of selecting specific system folders. Are you sure you don't need OS 8 or 9 for that, jt? In fact, I didn't think that 8.x had that feature with the versions of the control panel that they came with. 9 can, that's for sure. Argh, maybe this is one of those things I shouldn't be quoted on, but it's what my memory reports. I can't check it on the mac I'm on (8.6), as there is only 1 system folder, but it asks me to choose a disk, not a folder, and shows the name of the hard drive, not the selected system folder and version

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  20:33:01
I have a application that will allow you to pick which system folder if you want it e-mail me.

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 3 stars.
-------------------------------------
My site and web access to service manuals.
Go to Top of Page

ehurtley

USA
63 Posts
Posted - 03 Sep 2002 :  16:37:28
I have sucessfully mounted two drives in an SE/30. One was the stock 40MB, the other was a 250MB drive from some form of LC/Performa. I used a two-drive SCSI cable I had lying around, and a power splitter, and haven't had any problems. (The 40MB drive contains 6.0.8, the 250MB contains 7.5.5)

I had to velcro the second drive on top of the first drive for lack of official mounting points, but it works fine.

Proud Liberator of over 25 Macintoshes!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.