All Forums
 General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 Introducing myself...
Author Topic  
ehurtley

USA
63 Posts
Posted - 30 Aug 2002 :  23:55:23
Okay, first, I have to admit that I use Windows machines. I'm sorry. I'm in a 12-step program to stop...

Who am I? My name is Ed Hurtley, I'm in my mid 20s, and I live in Portland, Oregon. I currently run my own computer consulting company, Rent-A-Geek, Inc. And, of course, I liberate Macs.

I started using Macs back in 1989 when I was exposed to a Plus at the local sci/tech museum (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, a.k.a. OMSI) playing NetTrek, or some variant thereof. The next year, my school got outfitted with a bunch of SEs (two whole labs of 'em, one with HDs, one with dual floppies; plus a IIci and an SE/30.) After I graduated high school, I was seduced by the dark side... Windows. (I actually disliked the Microsoft OSes, and dabbled in OS/2 for many years before IBM finally killed it, and have played with Be386 and Linux, although I have always had at least one Windows machine since 1992.) Then, after college, I got a surplus PowerBook 5300c that a company was giving away (well, they threw it away, and I snagged it before the trash man came.....) That reminded me of my original love, the Macintosh.

Since then, I have amassed a collection consisting of:
Plus, SE, Classic, SE/30, Classic II (sadly, she's dead now..), Color Classic (upgraded with an honest-to-goodness CC2 mobo), IIci, IIsi, IIfx (The eBay auction for the 8*24GC card ends in 2 days... Oh, yeah...), LC, LC III, Centris 650, Quadra 610, Quadra 660AV, 2 Quadra 700s, PMac6100/66 DOS Compatible (486/66 on the PDS slot), PM7200/75, PM7500/100 (upgraded to 604/120), PM7300/200, PM8500/120 (dying a slow painful death. I can't bear to put her down), PMG3 rev a, iMac rev b, 2 PowerBook 5300c's, PB5300ce, PB1400cs (upgraded to a G3/233), and a PB3400c (recieved dead, going to rip him open some day). Total MHz: 2371, total RAM: 1301.5MB

The latest acquisition (only tonight) was the PowerMac 7500. I know it has 24MB of RAM, and a 1G hard drive, and it has a 604/120MHz upgrade that I need to install (came with it, but not in it,) but I haven't yet booted him up. Before that (Saturday) was the beige Power Macintosh G3... It was a steal at $150 at a local (mostly PC) used computer store, it had a USB card, FireWire card, and 256MB of RAM. It was severely underappreciated at that store, and had to be liberated. Every time I see that happy mac icon when I boot him up, I do feel a slight twinge of guilt for ripping off that store.... (The local Apple dealer sells equally-equipped G3s for over $400.)

Most of the PowerMacs have been liberated from businesses that are putting them out to pasture (alot come from my dad's work at <large telco name withheld>, which is phasing out Macs. He is in charge of installing computers, so he liberates the old ones that otherwise would literally go to the landfill, then passes them along the underground railroad to me... He already has five in safekeeping, but doesn't have room anymore.) Most of the 68k machines have come from Goodwill, local paper ads, and the occasional eBay. I think I've spent less than $500 on all the 68k machines combined. The Classic II just arrived via USPS a week ago, and the seller says it worked fine, so I'm rather peeved at the postman right now, while I'm filing the insurance claim.

Proud Liberator of over 25 Macintoshes!

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  03:04:30
Firstly, welcome to the 68k Macintosh Liberation Army. Sounds like you've got a good collection going there, especially with the IIfx, CC, and the Q660AV. Sounds like you've gotten some good deals on the PPC, too. Secondly, don't feel embarrased for being a PC user. I am, too, even though I use my Macs more. My main PC is a Pentium 166 with 64 megs of RAM, and although thats not all that great, well compared to the 486 that it replaced...well...you get the idea.

Either way, feel free to have a look around and check out some of the cool 68kMLA history in the deep dark depths of this forum! Enjoy!

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  05:39:16
Welcome the to MLA! Have fun and enjoy your stay!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  07:29:53
Welcome to the MLA!

Have you tried OpenStep on the PCs? If not, get it from the MLA HL server. See my webpage for more.

That's an incredible deal on the G3! However, I think I hold the record for the least paid for 68k Macs overall: nothing!

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  15:19:51
quote:
That's an incredible deal on the G3! However, I think I hold the record for the least paid for 68k Macs overall: nothing!

Hmmmmmm...lets see how much i've paid in total for the 68ks...

Macintosh: 20 bucks (STEAL!)
Classic II: 10 bucks (steal in 1998, as well)
LCII: 30 bucks
LC475: $0
LC630: $0
PowerBook 145B: $0
Dead PB180c: $30

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6

Oh! I forgot to mention the beloved LCIII, which Dad paid about $3-$4000 for back in December '93! How could I POSSIBLY forget Georgina, my first Mac?

Edited by - maclover5 on 31 Aug 2002 15:21:32Go to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  16:12:17
Hello, and Welcome to 68kMLA.

I have a bit of non-68k advice to start you off. Buy Jaguar (OS X 10.2) for that G3. You won't regret it.

As for your collection it's mighty impressive, many more time the magnitude of mine, especially since I just put 5 machines up for sale, thankfully mostly contraband.

--
Mark Benson

FlatPackMacs http://fpm.gotdns.com

2nd Lieutenant - 68kMLA, LC Quartermaster
Flat Packing Macs for 68k MLA airlift excercises
Macs Liberated = 14!Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  19:22:39
Welcome to the 68kmla, great to see you here, the most I had payed on my 68ks are 114$ CAD and I just have 3 well I don't really use more then one at a time so there is really no need... Welcome!

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 3 stars.
-------------------------------------
My site and web access to service manuals.
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.