Enya
Ace of Base
Phil collins
Lautsprecher
Nena
shakira

some others that I'm doscovering,
lorraine lawson
alot of other artists, the ones that play on the local smooth jazz station and "Seattle's hottest music"

Official 68k videographer

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  02:50:24
I regularly listen to:

Celine Dion
Lorraine Lawson
Emilie Autumn
AC/DC
Nirvana
Mandy Moore
Adam Sandler
Digital Droo
Enya
ABBA
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Ace of Base
Emma Bunton
Everclear
Faith Hill
Five
Natilie Imbruglia
Nickelback
Lifehouse
Queen
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Rednex
REM
Jackson 5
Janet Jackson

and i think thats about it.

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  04:44:15
I'm usually listining to:

Pink Floyd
Def Leppard
Queensryche
Beatles
STP
John Waite
Nickleback
Neil Young
Dire Striats
Tom Petty
Journey
Poison
Areosmith
-----------------
For the full list on all the Albums, Cds, Cassettes, and yes, even 8-tracks I have............well that would take some time and another thread.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  05:59:06
The Offspring, Smash Mouth, and Koji Kondo are numerically superior in my playlists, according to iTunes, but there's a lot of other good artists in there, even if I've only got one or two songs by them.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  07:36:45
Let's see: right now I'm listening to John Coltrane's "Giant Steps." I also listen to:

Grant Green
Kenny Burrell
Wes Montgomery (anybody have the changes to Full House?)
Charlie Parker
Dizzy Gillespie ("Things to Come" is incredible!)
Sonny Rollins
Django Reinhardt
Miles Davis (anybody have the RB chart for Blue in Green?)
Nicholas Payton
Jaco Pastorius
Buddy Rich
Count Basie
Duke Ellington
Charlie Christian (w/Benny Goodman Orchestra)
Thelonious Monk
Oscar Peterson
Joe Pass
Jimmy Raney
George Benson
Charles Mingus
Pat Metheny
And, of course, Pink Floyd.

FYI, I play jazz guitar.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  07:39:27
SMACK!
[hits self in forehead]

How could I have forgotten Barney Kessel?

I also forgot Maynard Ferguson. Sorry, thelip.

Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  08:17:46
Blink-182
Boxcar Racer
Green Day
Smashing Pumpkins
Jaco Pastorious
Scott Pazera (local)

and stuff similar to that.....

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  09:52:02
Go oldmacman! My father's a jazz nut; for me it's a recently acquired taste. But he likes swing and cool, whereas I'm partial to bop. Oh well, anyway, here's who's on heavy rotation in iTunes and Audion -- this week anyway:

(In no particular order)

Sam Cooke (Once you go Sam, you never go back)
Big Star (new discovery; they really are as good as all the rock critics say)
Eurythmics (one of the only constants through years of my changing tastes)
Tenacious D (hysterical)
Billy Bragg (inspiring and clever)
Goo-Goo Dolls (Third Eye Blind my butt)
Buena Vista Social Club
Dead Can Dance
Vince Guaraldi (much more going on here than Peanuts cartoon soundtracks)
Rush
Marshall Crenshaw (corny, catchy or rockin'--or all three--who can tell?)
XTC ("Dear God" -- great antidote to the incessant bible-thumpin' on AppleLinks and LEM)
Beach Boys (Pet Sounds=genius)
Yardbirds (if you can believe it)
"Rushmore" soundtrack
Phil Ochs (tragic voice in the wilderness)
Santana (forget Rob Thomas, this is the old stuff)
AC/DC
Dixie Chicks (don't like country, but these ladies kick it!)
Grandmaster Flash (that sure dates me, yes?)
Madonna (recent work is her best despite some being used to flog WinXP)
Rufus
Public Enemy
Tom Waits (got his great new "Alice" album with a free trial sub to Emusic.com)
Duke Ellington (the master)
Moby

Two observations: the older I get, the more eclectic my taste becomes; and does anyone else notice that the music they play on their computer is different (although overlapping) with the music they reach for to play on their stereo?

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
Q605 full '040 36/1.2G/enet/7.6.1-NetBSD dual-boot
SE/30 FPU 20/500/enet/A/UX

Edited by - maceo on 31 Aug 2002 10:45:33

Edited by - maceo on 31 Aug 2002 11:20:05Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  12:11:24
I love bop! As my bandmates will attest, I love to play stuff as fast as possible. The only problem is that I can play well up to a bit over 250 BPM, whereas they can only play at 200 BPM or so. It's horrible having to run Ornithology at 160 BPM because nobody else can play it at tempo.

As for big band music, I think it's not too great. Maybe that's because the guitar part plays four-to-the-bar block chords, but I find it really boring. I love the Dizzy Gillespie big band stuff, though; listen to "Things to Come" and you'll see what I mean. I don't mind cool jazz; "Kind of Blue" is one of my favorite albums, but smooth jazz makes me want to beat people over the head with large blunt objects. Especially Kenny G, who IMHO sounds like the fire alarm. I think too many badly-played, inside-the-harmony, under-tempo Bird cliches atop a lacking-in-swing string section is enough to make anyone become a raving psychopath.

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  15:17:06
quote:
I don't mind cool jazz; "Kind of Blue" is one of my favorite albums, but smooth jazz makes me want to beat people over the head with large blunt objects. Especially Kenny G, who IMHO sounds like the fire alarm.

HAR!™

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  15:19:35
quote:
I don't mind cool jazz; "Kind of Blue" is one of my favorite albums, but smooth jazz makes me want to beat people over the head with large blunt objects. Especially Kenny G, who IMHO sounds like the fire alarm.

I love Kind of Blue as well--pre-'70s Miles is a meeting point between my father and I. I must confess I don't actually love what one might call "hard bop" is such a distinction is useful. Upon further reflection, my father's and my tastes might be more accurately characterized as east coast-west coast rather than bop-cool. As for cool, Gerry Mulligan is his #1 guy.

Anyway, oldmacman, kudos to you on your speed-playing abilities. Very impressive!

Oh, and BTW, we both hate Kenny G, and neither of us can tolerate fusion of any kind (even the rather respectable Pat Metheny/Lyle Mays/Keith Jarret variety).

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:

Edited by - maceo on 31 Aug 2002 15:20:56Go to Top of Page

Squibix
Starting Member

45 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  17:57:49
Fusion? What's fusion? Wasn't Louis Armstrong playing 'Hello Dolly' as fuse-y as anything since? Me, I think Miles playing with electric instruments is good music, and Sex Mob playing 'Macarena' is good music, and Bill Frisell playing 'Washington Post March' on electric guitar is good music. As far as my tastes go music that stays 'pure' isn't worth listening to, unless you're looking for historical interest. But that's just me!

I like all sorts of things, including the above-mentioned artists, Albert Ayler, Lester Bowie, Ornette Coleman, John Zorn, Sonic Youth, brass band music, bluegrass, hip-hop, early American choral music... to touch some of the highlights.

Go to Top of Page

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  18:25:15
Squibix, you make a good point. First let me clarify--by fusion I mean the jazz subgenre that has popularly come to be known as fusion. Not trying to get myself off the hook here--electric Miles certainly falls under fusion, and while it's not my cup of tea, it ain't Kenny G either. To further clarify, the fact that music by Kenny G, or Pat Metheny, and Bob James may be called fusion is not why I don't like it; I just don't care for it, is all. (Come to think of it, oldmacman's probably right to call Kenny G's music smooth jazz.)

As for Louis playing Hello Dolly, well there I've got to disagree. You could say that's mixed-genre, or "crossover" or plain old pop (or even, at a stretch, novelty). But to call it fusion evacuates the specific meaning and history of fusion. By that reckoning, I suppose you could call rocknroll fusion, mixing pre-existing genres as it did.

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
SE/30 FPU 20/500/enet/A/UXGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  18:29:51
quote:
neither of us can tolerate fusion of any kind (even the rather respectable Pat Metheny/Lyle Mays/Keith Jarret variety)

The Metheny stuff I like is his trio work, like Bright Size Life (with Jaco) and his more recent trio albums (Trio 99 -> 00).

quote:
Ornette Coleman

I really dislike Ornette Coleman and his free jazz. I checked out one of his CDs from the library, and it just made me cringe. It's not like Mingus or Stravinsky, where things sound unusual but they fit together to make something coherent. IMHO, it sounds like band practice before the directors come in.

Squibix
Starting Member

45 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  19:09:30
quote:
As for Louis playing Hello Dolly, well there I've got to disagree. You could say that's mixed-genre, or "crossover" or plain old pop (or even, at a stretch, novelty). But to call it fusion evacuates the specific meaning and history of fusion.

You're right; I suppose I was stretching a little to prove a point. What I mean is, it's silly to disdain whole swaths of music (like some of my friends do) because it uses electric instruments, or because somebody from a 'jazz' background records a pop tune (which other friends complain about). But really that's what fusion is meant to refer to: some combination of those two characteristics. And usually when people don't like it, it's for that reason. Of course, if by 'fusion' you just mean the sort of tripe that gets played on commercial 'jazz' stations, then I agree with you wholeheartedly. As Mos Def has it, 'Kenny G ain't got no soul.' But for me the distinction that matters is between real living music and easy, commercial pablum played by people who want to do nothing more that repeat what's been done before. So I think there's certainly good fusion, and good hard bop, and even a bit of good smooth jazz (some good guitar players play what could be called smooth jazz; though I don't listen to them really, what I hear is sometimes pretty impressive). Was it Duke Ellington who said there isn't any bad music, only bad musicians?

Go to Top of Page

Squibix
Starting Member

45 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  19:30:10
quote:
I really dislike Ornette Coleman and his free jazz. I checked out one of his CDs from the library, and it just made me cringe.

Which one? I have a whole bunch of his albums (>10) and though I like some better than others I think they're all really beautiful music. To me his playing is far more meaningful than the vast majority of bop stuff. Admittedly I came to his music expecting to like it, and even being ready to work to like it (if you know what I mean), but I really don't think it's 'difficult' music. I also don't think it's something that 'anyone can do'--try getting eight people together and see if you can come up with anything like Free Jazz! It's not just noise: besides Ornette, Freddie Hubbard, Eric Dolphy and Charlie Haden are good musicians. And if that's the only Ornette album you've listened to, know that that's the only thing he recorded like that; his other early work is all quartet stuff and follows a more traditional jazz structure, though with untraditional improvisations (and heads, now that I think about it. But there are definitely heads and solos, so at least that's traditional! ).

But let me tell you, you're not the first person to tell me that Ornette Coleman's music sounds like noise. To which I could respond, I listen to things that are alot noisier than that: try Zorn playing Coleman tunes! But really, I find that sort of 'noise' to be more musical than, say, Chet Baker's meaningless (to me) ballad sounds. When people are playing changes they have to play changes, but Ornette could play whatever he wanted, and each of his solos could stand as an independent composition of its own. That's also true of some other exceptional players, like Bird and Sonny Rollins; but Ornette does it just as well as those other greats, if not better. In my opinion! I could have even more to say about Ayler, who I suspect if you ever heard play you'd have even more complaints about; but it's late and I'm sleepy and I'll save that for another day!

Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  19:35:12
Artists I listen too:

The Prodigy
Orbital
Sasha & Digweed
Linkin Park
Moby
ATB
BT
Basement Jaxx
DJ Tiesto
Fatboy Slim
The Crystal Method

Basicly, anything that has a decent beat I listen to, but the ones I prefer are techno, trance, dance, or anything you could dance to. (Ironic, because I don't dance...)

------------------
Captain Z - Mobile Operations Commander
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

23 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  19:38:03
I <3 Techno forever!

So her eis my techno score"

-Prodigy
-Orbital
-Darude
-Propellerheads
-Paul Oakenfold
-Paul van Dyk
-The Crystal Method

(non-techno stuff that is still kool)

-The Seatbelts (sweet jazz orchestra japenese thing)
-Apollo 440
-The Ataris
-Goldfinger
-Styx
-Various other artists.

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline ServerGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  19:42:12
quote:
So I think there's certainly good fusion, and good hard bop

If you think that hard bop isn't too great, listen to "The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery," "Full House," or "Smokin' at the Half Note." The three Montgomery albums are hard bop done just right. The same bop harmonies and ideas are there, only more subtle. If you listen to West Coast Blues, DAMN! It sounds so deceptively simple, and so melodic, that you'll never realize how complex it is until you transcribe it. I know; I've done it. It's one thing to go outside the harmony and have your audience know it; it's another thing to a weave a line that snakes around the harmony so well that your audience never realizes its complexity. And the block chord solos - your jaw will drop to the floor when you realize that Wes is manipulating four voices at once, and it sounds perfect! THE WHOLE SOLO IS FLAWLESS! THERE IS NOT ONE THING THAT SOUNDS BAD! NOT ONE NOTE THAT MAKES ME CRINGE! NOT A SINGLE BEAT THAT I WISH HAD BEEN DONE DIFFERENTLY. EVERYTHING FITS! THE FIRST TIME I HEARD IT, I CRIED! MY GOD, I THOUGHT, THAT IS MUSIC! I COULD PRACTICE MY WHOLE LIFE AND NOT DO ANY BETTER! PERFECTION IS ATTAINABLE, AND WES MONTGOMERY HAS ATTAINED IT! THAT SOLO IS PERFECT!

quote:
some good guitar players play what could be called smooth jazz

Sure, but then they're respected mostly for their earlier work. For example, Wes Montgomery and George Benson both played traditional bop and hard bop early in their careers, but both later switched to a more commercial format with

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  19:55:46
quote:
Which one?

"Free Jazz"

I will listen to some more traditional Ornette Coleman and see what I think. What do you recommend?

quote:
each of his solos could stand as an independent composition of its own

Read my opinion of Wes Montgomery above. If you haven't listened to "Incredible Jazz Guitar," get yourself a copy ASAP!

quote:
When people are playing changes they have to play changes, but Ornette could play whatever he wanted

Ornette's improvisations probably would have made much more sense if they weren't intermingled with the improvisations of the other musicians on the record. It would have been very interesting if Ornette had played piano, so he could have improvised the harmony to go along with his melodic conceptions.

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  21:32:01
I've been listening mostly to whatever is in the top40 list.
I've been listening to a lot of Linkin park though.
That is the dominant artist, but I listen to a lot of other good
artists too.

Website(closed):
http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForum(closed):
http://scchicago.dynodns.net/forum
NOTE:MAIN SERVER ONLY ON WHEN I'M ONLINEGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  02:03:23
YAHOO!!! techno...

as for goldfinger, YAHOO!!! red balloons!
I say, go and get the original by Nena, listen to both the german and the english versions, the german sounds less "klunky" than the english version...

"you and i in our little torchael, buy a bag of ballons withthe money we've got"

YAHOO ENYA, Celine and Ace of Base

I also like the local jazz station, I want to win a vacation a day

did you all know that "A new day has come" by Celine Dion was the number one song in america for quite awhile? at least there was on a radio show that broadcasts weekly across america... I THINK...
anyhow...

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  02:20:25
Currently listening to:
Covenant:
Lab 4
Delerium
Assemblage 23
l'ame imortale
Project Pitchfork
VNV Nation
Noisex
Convertor
Delerium
Sisters of Mercy (was on there guest list not so long ago!)

It's mostly goth and industrial with a smattering of hard electronic, noise and etherial

However when it comes to playing music I do classical piano and clarinet

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  02:39:41
I am so nonmusical it's not funny - I do listen to some stuff, but it annoys me pretty quickly. Born with no musical appreciation I suppose :)

dana (born without a bellybutton too)

Quadra 605 Obsessions
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  02:42:28
quote:

I am so nonmusical it's not funny - I do listen to some stuff, but it annoys me pretty quickly. Born with no musical appreciation I suppose :)

Quadra 605 Obsessions

Don't worry. At least you're not someone like me who has a sick taste of music that gets dissed at school every day. (Well I actually like what I listen to...most people think its crap)

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  10:37:15
quote:

So what's next--sealing up your Q605's floppy-eject hole?

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
SE/30 FPU 20/500/enet/A/UXGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  14:26:54
quote:

quote:

So what's next--sealing up your Q605's floppy-eject hole?

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:

Well at this point, thats just about the only thing left to do...

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

Squibix
Starting Member

45 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  17:40:14
quote:
I will listen to some more traditional Ornette Coleman and see what I think. What do you recommend?

'The Shape of Jazz to Come' is probably the best place to start, I think. Good stuff.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  00:33:54
Oh, and i also listen to Green Day and Goo Goo Dolls a lot, too.

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

alphamatrix

USA
60 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  14:37:02
And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead: Madonna
Refused: the Shape of Punk to Come
The (International) Noise Conspiracy: A New Morning, Changing Weather
Atari Teenage Riot: 60 Second Wipeout
The White Stripes: The White Blood Cells
Queens of the Stone Age: Rated R
Rage Against the Machine: Evil Empire
Cake: Motorcade of Generosity
to name a few

=======================
Run, comrade, the old world is behind you!
::68k: Classic (1) LC II(1) Other: iMac DV SE, PM7500 -200Mhz, PM7200 -75Mhz, Apple //c::
Carracho: knowledge.mine.nuGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.