All Forums
 68k Software
 Needed - Mac OS 8 Theming resources
Author Topic  
Duckie
Starting Member

6 Posts
Posted - 28 Aug 2002 :  19:21:48
I am in need of as many links, apps and files as possible.

What I need in particular are ways of making Mac OS 8 or 8.1 look and feel like OS X.

I found an app that allows iTunes to be installed on Mac OS 8.6 and was able to use Res-Edit to install it on Mac OS 8.1.

I installed a Control panel that allows Font Smoothing and can use Lucida Grande.

I also have about 7 themes for Kaliedoscope that change the appearance to OS X and I am using them all to make a combined OS X theme with all the bells and whistles.

I heard on ResExcellence that iMovie can be run on Mac OS 8.6, but couldnt find anything on Google.

Even tho i found some articles and files for iTunes, Kaliedoscope, and iMovie, I need more. There HAS to be more.

So, what am I missing?

What I know I need:

1. A way to make the icon text background transparent.
2. Any iApp's that will run on Mac OS 8
3. A working Dock app for OS 8
4. OS X Icons
5. OS X Sound sets
6. OS X Cursors

Please, no Mac OS 8.6 links.

Duckie

P.S. I am running Mac OS 8.1 on my PC as of now with BasiliskII. It has a 40mhz processor, 256 in ram, uses my GeForce2 64meg video, and SB Live! Sound and has NO lag.

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 28 Aug 2002 :  21:28:54
Wow! That's an interesting project! It almost belongs in the hack forum!

Transparent icon text backgrounds can be achieved by a little piece of software called OpColourLight. You can download it from TUCOWS here:

http://allmacintosh.xs4all.nl/preview/204377.html

It makes icon text white (like in OS X) and icon text backgrounds transparent. Works with 68k and PPC, so you should be good to go in Basilisk. And contrary to the TUCOWS blurb, you can change the text color if the white is unreadable with your desktop background: you fiddle with a resource ("CLUT" IIRC) in ResEdit.

As for a Dock-like app, there are many, including DragStrip, Drag Thing, Drop Drawers, Action GoMac, and A-Dock. A-Dock is the most Dock-like of the bunch but I don't know if it'll run under OS8, or with a 68k machine (Basilisk emulates a 68k Mac, yes?).

I'm sure there are OS X system sounds out there for OS 8/9, but I don't know where you'd find them, as I don't have any interest in using system sounds myself.

As for icons, I would imagine your Kaleidoscope schemes patch many standard icons and replace them with OS X-style ones, yes? Another way to get them is to use OS 8/9 _themes_ instead of Kaleidoscope _schemes_. Themes work directly with the OS, making Kaleidoscope unnecessary. To use a theme, you put it in the Themes folder in the Appearance folder (forget where exactly, it differs between OS 8 and 9, and I haven't used either one for 6 months now), then go into the Appearance Control Panel and switch from the Platinum theme to your new one. If you can't find the "Aqua" or "Liquid" theme by searching the Web or elsewhere, let me know; I may be able to email them to you.

Although, come to think of it, I can't remember of theme support was present in 8.1; it might have come only with 8.5. Oh well...

www.resexcellence.com and www.macmonkies.com, among many other places, have lots of custom icons that will work in both OS 8 and OS X.

Finally cursors: there are only two main OS X cursors: the arrow and the spinning rainbow thingie. The former is a little different than OS 8's, but not so's you'd notice. The latter, I don't know where you'd get that -- everyone who uses OS X hates it so much that I don't think there's been any desire to have it show up in OS8/9.

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
Q605 full '040 36/1.2G/enet/7.6.1-NetBSD dual-boot
SE/30 FPU 20/250/enet

Edited by - maceo on 28 Aug 2002 21:31:13Go to Top of Page

Duckie
Starting Member

6 Posts
Posted - 29 Aug 2002 :  05:26:13
quote:

Wow! That's an interesting project! It almost belongs in the hack forum!

Yeah, I'm gonna make the HFV available for those who want it...that is if I ever get back online.

quote:
Transparent icon text backgrounds can be achieved by a little piece of software called OpColourLight. You can download it from TUCOWS here:

http://allmacintosh.xs4all.nl/preview/204377.html

YES! You rule, thanks.

quote:
As for a Dock-like app, there are many, including DragStrip, Drag Thing, Drop Drawers, Action GoMac, and A-Dock. A-Dock is the most Dock-like of the bunch but I don't know if it'll run under OS8, or with a 68k machine (Basilisk emulates a 68k Mac, yes?).

Yes, it is a 68040 with FPU. Presently i am emulating a Quadra/Centris 610 using the rom from my Performa 631CD.

As for A-Dock...nope, i already tried it and Action GoMac's dock ain't pretty. But thanks for those choices. Some here may not have known about them.

quote:
I'm sure there are OS X system sounds out there for OS 8/9, but I don't know where you'd find them, as I don't have any interest in using system sounds myself.

I found some, but had to Res-Edit them to extract the sounds. A bit time consuming, so I resorted to converting the OS X catalog of sounds from my peecee to QT format, then to aiff and Voila'!

quote:
As for icons, I would imagine your Kaleidoscope schemes patch many standard icons and replace them with OS X-style ones, yes? Another way to get them is to use OS 8/9 _themes_ instead of Kaleidoscope _schemes_. Themes work directly with the OS, making Kaleidoscope unnecessary. To use a theme, you put it in the Themes folder in the Appearance folder (forget where exactly, it differs between OS 8 and 9, and I haven't used either one for 6 months now), then go into the Appearance Control Panel and switch from the Platinum theme to your new one. If you can't find the "Aqua" or "Liquid" theme by searching the Web or elsewhere, let me know; I may be able to email them to you.

Unfortunately, OS 8.1 has no theme support, but Kaliedoscope works great at replacing the resources anyway, so I'm ok with that. Unfortunately, tho, I havent found any 256 or 16bit icons that work with OS 8 since it doesnt support Alpha Transparencies.

quote:
www.resexcellence.com and www.macmonkies.com, among many other places, have lots of custom icons that will work in both OS 8 and OS X.

2 of my fave sites. As a matter of fact, ResEx is my home page.

quote:
Finally cursors: there are only two main OS X cursors: the arrow and the spinning rainbow thingie. The former is a little different than OS 8's, but not so's you'd notice. The latter, I don't know where you'd get that -- everyone who uses OS X hates it so much that I don't think there's been any desire to have it show up in OS8/9.

maceo

Well, Jaguar now has a beautiful spinning disk that isn't as annoying or bland. I'm trying to port it to OS 8 as we speak.

Thanks again for your prompt response. I'm off to try the icon text item now.

Peez

Duckie

Go to Top of Page

cballero
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts
Posted - 03 Sep 2002 :  18:55:46
I have all of my systems under the OS X theme. I use a pm6500 and 1400c on 8.5.1, a pb180 on 7.1 and a virtual Quad 650 through Basilisk on 8.1 at work.

My set-ups include kaleidescope schemes (appearance window and sound themes on my 6500 along with A-Dock), apple event sounds, a very aqua-frindly, transparent cursor, taskmenubar in lieau of the dock, some icons I re-designed with iconmachine from 32-bit icons (I use the 32-bit ones on my pmacs), a hacked apple calculator, an extension to make the menus transparent, a more OS X like finder browser, OpcolourLight on my 6500, 1400c and emulated 650, and more. Unfortunately, appearance window and sound themes, 32-bit icons and A-Dock only work on PowerMacs and OpcolourLight only runs on 8.0 and higher.

If anyone else is interested, email me for more details and/or sw links on my project.

Edited by - cballero on 29 Sep 2002 00:31:01Go to Top of Page

appleseed
Starting Member

Australia
40 Posts
Posted - 04 Oct 2002 :  03:31:15
Hey Duckie,
Are you the same Duckie that is working with " www.aqua-soft.org "
( The crazy but smart guys dedicated to making PeeCees look,feel & operate like Os-8,
Os-9 & yes... OS-x) If your not that duckie: you might want to check out their site anyway.

Railheaddesign did have an aqua that you could drop into your appearance folder ( without dumpy Kaleidoscope ), but the heavies at Apple got wind of it and slapped a "Cease & Desist" order on them. Aka Legal howitzers!
Luckily for me, I downloaded it all B4 the proverbials hit the fan. So maybe you might want a look.
Am trying to code it via Resedit to 68k Mac-aronis.
Cheers
Johnny Appleseed

Thanx FolksGo to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 04 Oct 2002 :  06:35:31
I backed up all the banned themes that were hosted on one of the tripod sites. It was mentioned in a forum thread at aqua-soft. They are for Kaleidescope. (spelling?)

If anyone wants them, e-mail me. I will arrange something. I'm not about to go public per say. I don't Apple hunting everyone down.

:)

Go to Top of Page

appleseed
Starting Member

Australia
40 Posts
Posted - 12 Feb 2003 :  23:33:27
Long time no speak,
But in case anyone is interested, ben mackin has a wonderful OS-X "Theme" for 8.5 & higher.
Just drop it into your themes folder and Viola! OS-X like ya wont believe
Just go to macosr.com & look for aqua
No more Kaleidoscope blues. Nothing could be simpler.
I won't be suprised if Mac tries to bust him again
Appleseed

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2003 :  03:36:23
Someone mentioned a finder patch to make browsing files more like OS X. I'm pretty sure it's Gregs something or other (aren't there a few other Greg Apps?) Anyway it's basically an Applications that gives you one (maybe more) windows that emulate colums view. I used to use it but that was a long time ago, 99% certain it would run on pretty much any version of the Mac OS. It wasn't very aqua like but I'm sure a combination of resedit and kaleidoscope could fix that

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2003 :  10:00:33
quote:

Someone mentioned a finder patch to make browsing files more like OS X. I'm pretty sure it's Gregs something or other (aren't there a few other Greg Apps?) Anyway it's basically an Applications that gives you one (maybe more) windows that emulate colums view.

It's Greg's Browser. Search for it on macupdate.com, versiontracker.com, or pure-mac.com.

It works great.

Best,
Matt

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
- "PowerMystic" Color Classic, 66MHz PPC601 card, full '040, 36/1.2G/enet, OS 8.1
- "Mystic" Color Classic, full '040, 36/700/enet, OS 8.1
- Q605 overclocked to 33MHz, full '040, 36/1.2G/enet, 8.1, Debian WoodyGo to Top of Page

triumph_larry

USA
54 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2003 :  10:35:49
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/kaleidoscope/schemetotheme/

Aqua 3 is a really good theme, I'm using it on my G4. Will end up loading it on my Duo.

---
The problem with computers is they do exactly what you tell them to. Now where's that fuggin 'any' key?

Macs liberated thus far: SE-30, Performa 6320CD, Duo 280c and Powerbook 100.Go to Top of Page

appleseed
Starting Member

Australia
40 Posts
Posted - 05 Mar 2003 :  20:55:51
Have any of you folks tried the Aqua theme by Ben Mackin?
It only works on PPC's with OS 8.5.
You can download it at http://www.macosr.com Look under "themes" on the third page.
I'd be interested to hear anyone else's opinion of this OS-X Aqua theme.
Also I'm trawling the net everyday in the hope of finding Aqua styled folders for my LC-475. Ie Copland style to look like Aqua.
No luck so far.
I hate Kaleidoscope for its ability to freeze up and or slow everything down.
Yep.. I love the Aqua-look, but I'll be darned if I am going to give up a system that boots in approx 45 seconds. ( I've stripped OS-8 so that it only takes 4.5 Megs of ram instead of 7 + Megs )
In case anyone is interested, I've stumbled across some Aquifying tools to make the Control strip look more Aqua-like.
Long live 68K

K
Starting Member

France
1 Posts
Posted - 15 Apr 2003 :  16:13:23
The Ben Mackin's Aqua Theme that you can find in http://www.macosr.com is version v1.0.2, You can find a newer version that is now called Liquid on www.weatherland.com/liquid this version is v.1.8.
If you find a newer version please tell me...

I use Liquid on my PowerMac 5500/275 under Os 9.1 and on my Best friend's Powermac G4/400 under Os 9.2.2 with a lot of pleasure, it works perfectly (better than version v.1.0.2), I mix it with OpColorLight, A-Dock and PowerWindows to make my system look even more Os X-like.
My Best friend is about to buy Os X but for my own computer Os 9.1 is the end of the road...
I hope to be able to buy me a PowerBook G4 soon...
Cheers.
K.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.