All Forums
 68k Conquests
 PowerBook Hospital
Author Topic  
Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 28 Aug 2002 :  09:07:08
I just aquired two PB520c and one PB520 off eBay for the princely sum of $60 It sounds better than it is because none of them had HD's. I knew that before purchasing, but I didn't realise that they had removed the HD's by removing the keyboards with a screwdriver....attacking from the top! Basically f**ked all three keyboards! Two of them *work* but they will never be able to be screwed back into place

I did find a gem amongst the rubble though - a fully intact hinge cover thingy (you know, the one just below the screen that always snaps off) The cover is now fitted to my pride and joy, the PB500 PPC (PPC603e 100MHz 40MB RAM 320MB HD simply named Router coz that's what it does)

Well with the the guts of a PB that I had already, I have enough bits to make one fairly nice 520c and a 520c plus a 520 that will boot up OK but look like sh*t. I do[/] have an LCD ear marked to repair a friends PB, plus I have a stack of spare parts.

All in all not a bad score, but it's always sad when people mangle Macs unneccessarily If you need any PB500 series parts [b]do let me know

68k ParaMedic

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 28 Aug 2002 :  09:50:32
quote:

I just aquired two PB520c and one PB520 off eBay for the princely sum of $60 It sounds better than it is because none of them had HD's. I knew that before purchasing, but I didn't realise that they had removed the HD's by removing the keyboards with a screwdriver....attacking from the top! Basically f**ked all three keyboards! Two of them *work* but they will never be able to be screwed back into place

Not as bad as the one auction I saw recently for a 540c treated similarly:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2048562729

The same seller has a Similarly bashed Duo 230 that I'd bid on if I wasn't afraid the shipping was more than the salvageable parts.

(BTW, anybody know who this godwin-austen person is who keeps buying up 1x0 and 5x0 PowerBook parts and chargers?)

<<<john>>>

Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 28 Aug 2002 :  09:57:25
wow at least mine weren't that badly smashed

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 28 Aug 2002 :  17:14:44
Did I ever tell you guys about the auction (real life) I went to with all the destroyed 'Books?
The most interesting one was a 1400 in pieces (just held together by unbroken bits of the case) that managed to boot.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 28 Aug 2002 :  20:49:51
that's sad dude. But its nice to hear that you have rescued some more PBs Flash. Sort of reminds me of the Leaning Tower of Leaning PowerBooks™, which will hopefully go down a PB when i get that fricken display cable...

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 29 Aug 2002 :  03:11:05
which display cable are you after?

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 29 Aug 2002 :  04:30:30
quote:

which display cable are you after?

68k ParaMedic

One for a PowerBook 180c. And don't bother sending it to me, as I am operating under PAF guidelines.

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.