All Forums
 General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 Had a bit of a LOA there...
Author Topic  
macdaddy

USA
107 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  18:21:26
Haven't been able to hang around the forums the last several days, first of all I've been getting moved into the frat house and settled in here at college, and second, on Sunday, some of my frat brothers and I started re-networking the house. The old network was thrown together half @$$ about three years ago, and was just for sharing files. For 'Net connections, about four of us share a cable or DSL modem each. We're going to make a network that is more established, that covers everyone who lives here, with an Internet connection. However, as we were pulling cable, there was an 'old' cable that was kind of in the way that one of the guys thought was not important. Snip! Byebye DSL line up here in the attic! As well as our phone up here! There were several other lines that were 'abandoned' ones that were around, and it was a major pain to trace them down and find the live one! Today my roomate and I got it sort of hooked up, but twisting the wires didn't hold up too well. So I took a drive uptown to CrapShack and got some crimp splicers for the wires, and IT's ALIVE!!! BTW, we did not get the network done, but we got the cable pulled, and we got our 24-port switch ready!

macdaddy - 68KMLA Field Meteorologist
68Ks at my base:
Q840AV,Q800, Q605, D280/DuoDock II,P550, LC 475,LCIII+,(2) LCIIIs,IIci, P410,LCII,Mac II
Contraband:
(2) PM G3/300 MTs, P6360, 5400/120,Q700/PPC 601, (2) 6100/66s

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  18:33:45
What a nice project well hope you get it done!.

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 3 stars.
-------------------------------------

Go to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 28 Aug 2002 :  00:49:38
Sounds a little like the house I lived in for 2 years. When we first moved in Nick and I spent 2 days ripping the floors up and laying cables around the house. By the time we had finished each room had 10baseT and 100baseT ethernet, TV and phone. we wired all this to the broom cupboard off of the kitchen in which we set up 2 servers, an 8-port 100baseT switch and a 10baseT 12-port hub (which is now here with me ), a booster amp. for the TV line and a mini phone exchange. It all worked really well and enabled us, eventually, to share DSL around the house. We were really glad we did it as it made the house really integrated. It also led to some laughable incidents whereby we were phoning each other internally (we each had extensions) instead of getting up to talk to each other!! Eventually, by the time Pete and I graduated, there were 15 machines in the house, most on the network at some point or other, between 4 people no less - not bad for a student house

--
Mark Benson

FlatPackMacs http://fpm.gotdns.com

2nd Lieutenant - 68kMLA, LC Quartermaster
Flat Packing Macs for 68k MLA airlift excercises
Macs Liberated = 14!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.