PowerBook
 Duo Battery Charger
Author Topic  
jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  14:28:42
Okay, I am now officially confused...

A few weeks back, I got a Duo Type 3 battery which, I presumed, had a shorted cell. This was one of those ones that would crash a running Duo as soon as inserted and would not allow the Duo to even boot with the battery in.

Yesterday, I got a Duo charger capable of dealing with Type 3 batteries. On a whim, I put in the presumed bad battery, assuming I'd get either the dreaded red light or no light at all. Instead, I got a nice yellow charging light. Some time later, I pulled the battery and put it into a 280c running on AC power. It happily saw the battery and wanted to continue charging it. At this point, I put the battery back in the charger and went to bed. This morning, I woke to a green light, indicating a charged battery.

Much to my surprise, it appears that the battery works and works fairly well. In my 280c with attached ADB-powered SCSI Ethernet, it is registering a load that pegs the meter to the right, but estimates over an hour of runtime. While I doubt the actual estimate, it is commensurate with my other Type 3 batteries.

So, here is my confusion... what happened? What is different about charging a battery in the external charger that let it charge?

<<<john>>>

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  15:00:23
quote:

So, here is my confusion... what happened? What is different about charging a battery in the external charger that let it charge?

conditioning circuitry that's not looking for a partial load before it will begin the charging process because it just squeezed the crap outta the poor battery pack?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  15:13:45
That's one of the Type 3's I sent you, right? COOL! I'm glad it's working now, I knew all it needed was a good external-charge!

I think I told you before, but keep a lookout for one of those Lind SuperChargers, they're a Duo owner's best friend.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hotline Server: 840av.sytes.net
Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  16:47:36
quote:

That's one of the Type 3's I sent you, right? COOL! I'm glad it's working now, I knew all it needed was a good external-charge!

This was the first one you sent me. The second one charged in the Duo after a few reinsertions. (At first, it would charge for a while and then give up.)

I don't know if the Type 2 would have responded to an external charger (though I expect not), as I traded it along with my 230.

quote:

I think I told you before, but keep a lookout for one of those Lind SuperChargers, they're a Duo owner's best friend.

There's actually one on ebay right now
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2048464268&rd=1

Maybe it's time to sharpen my sniping skills and find another battery slide.

<<<john>>>

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  17:49:59
quote:

Ahhh, that's the one! If I still had a working Duo I'd own that auction! But, alas...

Somebody on the board better snipe that puppy! They don't show up on eBay very often, at all.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  17:56:11
quote:

quote:

Ahhh, that's the one! If I still had a working Duo I'd own that auction! But, alas...

Somebody on the board better snipe that puppy! They don't show up on eBay very often, at all.

then i'm on it if john's not!

jt .

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  18:32:40
Snipe it, JT, SNIPE IT!

Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 28 Aug 2002 :  07:11:36
quote:

Snipe it, JT, SNIPE IT!

FYI, I have a bid set up through HammerSnipe.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 28 Aug 2002 :  08:58:28
quote:

Nopro! bag it, comrade!

I'd like to know about this service, what's the story?

jt .

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 28 Aug 2002 :  17:49:16
quote:

quote:

Nopro! bag it, comrade!

I'd like to know about this service, what's the story?

Got it! :D $16.72 plus shipping.

According to the bidding history, there was one other last-minute bidder- the same "godwin-austen" person I mentioned in a conquests posting who seems to be trying to buy up all the cheap PB 1x0 and 5x0 parts and chargers that he can grab.

As for HammerSnipe- I had heard mention of it before and decided to check it out for this auction. It is the online service of a company called HammerTap who makes a set of auction tools called PowerTools. In a nutshell, it is a sniping service. You register with them, tell them an auction number and max. price and they will place the bid 10 seconds before closing. They also have premium services which can place a bid as little as 3 seconds before the end of an auction.

I'm not sure sure I'd do it everytime, but for those special occasions... :)

<<<john>>>Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 28 Aug 2002 :  18:09:25
This is so cool! I have 2 Type 3's with that probleHow long is your Type III's actual battery life now?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 28 Aug 2002 :  19:41:24
quote:

This is so cool! I have 2 Type 3's with that probleHow long is your Type III's actual battery life now?

To be honest, I'm not quite ssure as I haven't run the battery to death yet. Unfortunately, I took the sliding cover off of the battery to replace a missing one on another type 3, so it's a little unstable for testing. Probably time to get out the duct tape. :)

Give me about a week to get the SuperCharger in and, if you don't mind paying the round trip shipping, I'd be willing to put them through the chargers for you.

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 28 Aug 2002 :  20:44:49
quote:

To be honest, I'm not quite ssure as I haven't run the battery to death yet. Unfortunately, I took the sliding cover off of the battery to replace a missing one on another type 3, so it's a little unstable for testing. Probably time to get out the duct tape. :)

Okay, I'm back...

Using Battery Amnesia on a 280c (40/340), running 8.1 with a SCSI MicroDock and ADB-powered SCSI Ethernet adapter, I got 42 minutes of battery life. Considering that this is the equivalent of measuring gas mileage while pulling a trailer, I'm content.

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 29 Aug 2002 :  14:12:11
quote:
Give me about a week to get the SuperCharger in and, if you don't mind paying the round trip shipping, I'd be willing to put them through the chargers for you.

It definately sounds worth it. I'll give it a try.
If that doesn't work, there's always recelling.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 17 Sep 2002 :  11:09:08
quote:

quote:

It definately sounds worth it. I'll give it a try.
If that doesn't work, there's always recelling.

Well, I now have to say that the Lind SuperCharger II is everything that Cine said it was. :)

Yesterday, I got Wonko's three Type 3 batteries in the mail. As expected, all three would crash a Duo hard when inserted, etc. Worse, in the standard Duo charger, all three would charge for a bit and then get the dreaded red light (bad battery). In the Supercharger, each would read "charged" and go into trickle charge mode.

On a whim, I left one in the SC for a couple of hours (the other two were parked in the Duo charger). When I came back, it was showing the yellow charging light (regular charge, not trickle). I moved it to the Duo charger (where it eventually charged completely) and put battery #2 in the SC.

I left #2 in overnight, but no luck... still trying to trickle charge, but still bad. I moved it to the Duo charger and put #3 in the SC.

The third one immediately started to charge in the SC, despite having had a red light in the Duo charger. I charged it to full on the SC and currently have it running under Battery Amnesia on my 280c. So far it has been going for 42 minutes (almost as long as my worst Type 3) and has 49% left. It should clear an hour easily under a pretty decent load.

I still have to try battery #1 in the Duo, so no time estimate yet.

My plan is to leave #2 in the SC for 24 hrs. If that doesn't work, then it is toast.

Either way, I'll try to have them back in the mail to Wonko by Friday.

When this is over, I promised I'd write up the experiences on the DuoList.

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 17 Sep 2002 :  11:54:40
What did I tell ya, bro? That Lind SC is a Duo owner's diety unto which one should pray regularly.

Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 17 Sep 2002 :  13:42:57
quote:

The third one immediately started to charge in the SC, despite having had a red light in the Duo charger. I charged it to full on the SC and currently have it running under Battery Amnesia on my 280c. So far it has been going for 42 minutes (almost as long as my worst Type 3) and has 49% left. It should clear an hour easily under a pretty decent load.

I still have to try battery #1 in the Duo, so no time estimate yet.

Battery #3 ended up pulling 61 minutes with Battery Amnesia under a decent load. (Duo 280c plus SCSI Ethernet adapter).

Battery #1 pulled a somewhat disappointing 31 minutes plus the startup time for the Duo. Still, though, it's better than being a paperweight.

A conditioning cycle will like improve both slightly, but no great miracles.

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.