All Forums
 The Website Forum
 Service Manuals on our Site
Author Topic  
Graphite Goodness

USA
88 Posts
Posted - 09 Dec 2001 :  12:10:32
I think It would be cool to include Service manuals on our site. The problem is finding a host large enough to hold all of the 68k ones.They may not seem practical for Professionals , but It acts more as a promotional thing and It just looks cool to put them all on one site. Excuse my ignorance if you've talked about this before.

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 09 Dec 2001 :  13:15:29
I know that I'd LOVE that, since many of the manuals for pre-Quadras have instructions like "When Symptoms are X, Y, and Z, replace this Resistor/capacitor/IC"

Why is this cool? It allows the ultimate in Liberation! If you have 2"dead" Mac SE/30's, and (for example) the SCSI chip is bad on one, cannibalize the OTHER one and return one of them to service.

One Mac, due to the similarity in chip designs in classes of Macs, could revive several other ones.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

~~"We are all Mad here."~~Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 10 Dec 2001 :  08:07:37
just point me to where I can find the manuals...

but we might have an issue if we want to host them all locally (since we only get like 15-20mb on our iDisk)

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 10 Dec 2001 :  09:58:14
I've seen hotline servers that have apple service manuals, but never thought it worth while to spend my DL Queue spots on them. Hotline servers come and go pretty quickly, so I can't point you to any. But that is a possible resource. We could check with various MUGs or people we know in the mac repair business (in my case, no one...)

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ Macs liberated: 6 }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

Graphite Goodness

USA
88 Posts
Posted - 10 Dec 2001 :  16:48:17
I know a very reliable Carracho Server and I downloaded LOTS of manuals awhile back. I didn't get all of them , but i did get quite a few. 2 iTools accounts should b enough space if I stuff them. I'll create them as soon as I get some more.

Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 10 Dec 2001 :  21:32:30
Service Source 3.0 has the take apart guides to all the Macs, from Mac Plus to iMac. This CD is available to people that have taken the Apple Certification Test. Luckly, I have an insider that obtained them for me, since I will be taking the test later next year.

E-mail me if you want any one specific manual, and I would be glad to give them up to the website. All the documents are in PDF format.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 11 Dec 2001 :  06:10:35
I was thinking of a temporary solution: a Mac running Web Sharing connected on 56K 24/7. It's not pretty, but it will host a lot of stuff.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 11 Dec 2001 :  08:23:36
Liberation is good.

Having our own cohesive community is better.

Having a website and forums to help maintain such a community and stregnthen it better still.

But running afoul of Apple Legal is bad.

Very bad, since I'm a poor college student that couldn't afford more than about 2 minutes with an attorney, and another 5 in a courtroom.

Posting the manuals on the website is a bit sketchy, as is posting old versions of software. A "private" server wouldbe nice tho.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 11 Dec 2001 :  09:06:23
I may be showing my age here, or maybe just how long I've been playing on the internet....

I remember announcements about something called the "World Wide Web" being "finally up".

Before then, I used to download files via FTP, after browseing my way to them useing Gopher.

Well, that was on an SE, via a PowerUser 2400baud modem.

Gopher was actually a very easy way to go thru files and find things, especially when you used ARCHIE and VERONICA and JUGHEAD with it, and a WAIS database.

It's still possible to get Gopher software for 68k Macs (I think I have a few) and any telnet software will do it I think.

There are a couple Gopher servers available for 68k Macs as well.

I think we should start our own network of Gopher servers, so we can trade files and such. If nothing else it makes it all ALOT less centralized.

Now, how does Gopher work you ask?

It's a text based menu interface, that uses hyperlink-esque abilities to jump from server to server, menu to file, seamlessly.

I have an old O'Reilly book called "Manageing Internet Information Systems" copyright 1994, that goes into complete depth on how to run Gopher servers, and the associated systems. It even included Mac references.

I'm going to set up my own servers, one on my OS X computer, and another on a 68k Mac, and let the 68kMLA access them. If you would like me to post any particular files, send me an e-mail at marchie@mac.com

I'll probably put up another thread within a week, explaining how to access the system.

Till then...

Happy expectations

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 15 Dec 2001 :  23:42:27
I'm in the process of downloading a bunch of manuals on hotline. Someone tell me what to do with them. They're in PDF format. Are we going to make them public or not? I almost agree with Marchie about the legality, but not quite. Why should apple give a hoot? These are horribly obsolete products. All of the pre-040 macs aren't even supported by apple now. It's like abandonware, but with machines instead of programs. Apple authorized servicers could get a bit annoyed because they could claim their business was being taken away by us giving out manuals, but um, who services 68k's? I'll bet some people working in those places haven't even ever used a 68k mac! I guess places will fix them for you, but they're certainly not used to it nor will they care if we find out how to fix our own. We wouldn't give them business anyway. An LC III is not worth $50 an hour. You could get a new() one for far less.

{ candyPunk }

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 16 Dec 2001 :  18:42:44
quote:

I'm in the process of downloading a bunch of manuals on hotline. Someone tell me what to do with them.

hey could you grab me the manuals for the SE/30 and the Quadra 650!

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 16 Dec 2001 :  20:28:01
Got the SE/30, but the server didn't have the one for the Q650. I'm not sure these are the manuals given to service centers, though. They're not too useful. They tell how to install a HD and stuff. Want them anyway? They have got that section on "if x, then y"

{ candyPunk }
{ My baby: Q660av }

Edited by - candyPunk on 16 Dec 2001 20:32:31

Edited by - candyPunk on 16 Dec 2001 20:38:04

Edited by - candyPunk on 16 Dec 2001 20:39:45Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 16 Dec 2001 :  21:28:31
quote:

Got the SE/30, but the server didn't have the one for the Q650. I'm not sure these are the manuals given to service centers, though. They're not too useful. They tell how to install a HD and stuff. Want them anyway? They have got that section on "if x, then y"

I found a Carracho server (with help from Graphite Goodness) that has all 68k service manuals:

24.9.93.202:6700

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2001 :  14:48:11
I stand by what I said about legality...

On the other hand, you're abosolutely right about the service centers MAYBE getting pissed off.

I know that the 2 shops around here that service Macs WILL service 68k Macs, although none of mine will ever go there. I can do it just as well myself, given the parts, which can usually be found SOMEwhere.

Let's post the service manuals. There's a chance Apple will "find out" and tell us to stop, and then, we'll have to. But better to ask forgiveness than permission, so on with the Liberation!

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2001 :  16:40:55
quote:

just point me to where I can find the manuals...

I know of a very good source for them. My CD ROM drive.

But really, i have Service Source 2.0. A *COMPLETE* collection of *ALL* 68k service manuals, and a few PPC ones (but who cares about them?) If you want a service manual for any machine though, email me. I'll see what i can do for you.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

Graphite Goodness

USA
88 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2001 :  16:42:32
Again the only problem is file size. All of the manuals stuffed would take up about 75-100 megs or 3-4 iTools accounts. Lets see here 68kmla01 , 68kmla02 , 68kmla03

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2001 :  20:37:13
all we need is a Quadra 605 with some sort of broadband to host the stuff!!! (I'm sure most DSL companies would allow it, considering that you're not sharing the bandwidth with people in your 'hood)

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator

Edited by - FireWire is fast on 17 Dec 2001 20:37:39Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2001 :  20:47:37
Buy me a router and I'll do it - I have DSL and would be glad to host it all. I''ve got the machine, too. A Q610 should do the trick.

{ candyPunk }

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2001 :  08:13:26
quote:

Buy me a router and I'll do it - I have DSL and would be glad to host it all. I''ve got the machine, too. A Q610 should do the trick.

{ candyPunk }
{ My baby: Q660av }

I'm sure you could spare a <understatement>few bucks</understatement> for the sake of our cause!

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2001 :  19:01:03
quote:

<understatement>few bucks</understatement>

Yeah, man, $80 sure isn't more than the total worth of all my 68k macs or anything...

{ candyPunk }

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2001 :  20:01:58
quote:

all we need is a Quadra 605 with some sort of broadband to host the stuff!!! (I'm sure most DSL companies would allow it, considering that you're not sharing the bandwidth with people in your 'hood)

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator

Edited by - FireWire is fast on 17 Dec 2001 20:37:39

I have a Quadra 700 that will have broadband in january..

What did you want it for? (sorry about my memory lapses. I have a bad SIMM)

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2001 :  21:18:30
Mac II: $10
3 NuBus Ethernet cards: $15
IPNetRouter: $25
Ability to host files for the 68k Mac Liberation Army Network: Priceless.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 19 Dec 2001 :  06:58:43
quote:

Mac II: $10
3 NuBus Ethernet cards: $15
IPNetRouter: $25
Ability to host files for the 68k Mac Liberation Army Network: Priceless.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

~~"We are all Mad here."~~

If you were to host the files for our site using that Gopher thingy, would we be able to call up the files using a web browser? Like Apple's FTP site? And wouldn't that be kinda pokey with your 56K?

Tallgeese: I don't want to buy it (was that what you were asking?) but if you could host our files (service manuals, photos,etc). It would be grand.

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 19 Dec 2001 :  07:47:30
Good questions FireWire. Answers:

Web browser: Not in the new browsers. Gopher systems haven't been supported in Netscrape of Exploder in quite a while. Some old versions of Netscape will tho. In most cases, you'll want to use a Gopher server.

Apple's FTP site: Yup. Apple's site and Jaghouse and UNNA will all be accessible thru the Gopher system, and be indexed for fast searching.

Pokey: no. The Gopher helps set up a connection between systems, so after you figure out WHAT file(s) you want, and from where, badda-bing badda-bang, the FTP session starts between the server and you. Nothing is routed thru MY system.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Graphite Goodness

USA
88 Posts
Posted - 24 Dec 2001 :  01:35:37
In a few days im gonna begin uploading these manuals to a freshly made iDisk for everyone to enjoy. We can talk about hosting the files on 68k's later. As long as they can be publicly accessed.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.