All Forums
 Balloon Help
 WiFi for PB190cs Conflicts with DRVR.ENET0
Author Topic  
G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 26 Aug 2002 :  08:11:41
This week-end I got a WiFi PC Card at a garage sale for $2. I thought I might be able to get it to work on my PB 190cs. The card is an AirStation 11 Mbps PCMCIA card model number WLI-PCM-L11, made by Buffalo. Courtesy of Google, I got the download for Mac drivers(including 68k drivers!!!) at:

AirStation.com Downloads

Everything looks great. The installer "read me" claims the driver will work on a PB 190, supports a wide range of Mac OS (I'm running 7.5.2 on the PB) and can handle both "Classic" and Open Transport networking (me thinks I'm running "Classic").

Fly in the ointment: when I run the installer, it claims "there is a conflicting ethernet device driver already installed in your System file as "DRVR.ENETO". You must remove this driver before the AirStattion driver can be installed." I can't for the life of me find this conflicting driver file (and, yes, I have the Apple Ethernet extensions disabled on this machine as it has no ethernet, I've looked for invisible files, and poked inside the System suitcase to no avail).

Please help this frustrated old coot.

Thanx,

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial Symmetry

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Aug 2002 :  09:27:30
quote:

Please help this frustrated old coot.

You realize, of course, that there's no help for that, but alleviating the source of any kind of aggravation is cool!

I assume you've tried booting with all extensions off or the minimum set for installing the drivers and that you're doing a custom install, correct?

Other than that, i've got no clue. =8-\

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

gdogkzo

147 Posts
Posted - 26 Aug 2002 :  10:05:17
Load 7.5.3 and give it a try. Clea r the HD first if you need to.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Aug 2002 :  10:10:28
quote:

Load 7.5.3 and give it a try. Clea r the HD first if you need to.

Now that you mention it, the 7.5.5 update had a bunch of networking fixes in it for some of the newer machines, IIRC.

jt .

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 26 Aug 2002 :  10:25:41
Thanx for the replies!

Extensions off did not help. I'm going to reinstall the system and boost it up a few subversions and see if that helps (might solve some other funkiness that this PB has, like the System file having a blank icon!) I'm a bit reluctant to wipe this disk as I do not have a boot-floppy or CD-ROM for this machine and RAM Disks make me nervous.

Cheers,

G4From128k

& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 26 Aug 2002 :  11:15:06
quote:

This week-end I got a WiFi PC Card at a garage sale for $2. I thought I might be able to get it to work on my PB 190cs. The card is an AirStation 11 Mbps PCMCIA card model number WLI-PCM-L11, made by Buffalo. Courtesy of Google, I got the download for Mac drivers(including 68k drivers!!!) at:

AirStation.com Downloads

Everything looks great. The installer "read me" claims the driver will work on a PB 190, supports a wide range of Mac OS (I'm running 7.5.2 on the PB) and can handle both "Classic" and Open Transport networking (me thinks I'm running "Classic").

With 7.5.2, you probably would be running classic networking. OT was optional at that point and not part of the regular install. 7.5.3 made it part of the install, but switchable using the Network Software Switcher.
quote:

Fly in the ointment: when I run the installer, it claims "there is a conflicting ethernet device driver already installed in your System file as "DRVR.ENETO". You must remove this driver before the AirStattion driver can be installed." I can't for the life of me find this conflicting driver file (and, yes, I have the Apple Ethernet extensions disabled on this machine as it has no ethernet, I've looked for invisible files, and poked inside the System suitcase to no avail).

Did you look in the System suitcase by double clicking on it or by opening it with ResEdit?

From the sound of it, you need to copy the System suitcase, open the copy with ResEdit, and check the DRVR resources. There will probably be an ENET0 resource there. If so, click on it and select "Cut". Save modified system file; move original out of system folder, rename copy as "System". Before rebooting, make sure the system folder is "blessed".

Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 26 Aug 2002 :  13:32:21
Resedit!!!!! Now why didn't I think of that? Must be cuz it's been 15 years since I Resedited my 128k with BananaMac hacks. Thank you very much for joggling this old coot's brain!

Tried Resedit and it worked!! Sort of

I removed the DRVR resource named ENETO, transplanted the hacked system, successfully installed the driver software with no complaints of conflicts. Can stick in the card and have it appear on the desktop, but .......SIGH! When try to I run the "AirStation Setup" control panel, it complains that I "must configure AppleTalk or TCP/IP to use the AirStation PC Card. Double-click the card icon and configure AppleTalk to use the card." Following said instructions brings up the "Network" control panel with only the built-in LocalTalk port available.

I guess its back to reinstalling the system software. OOOF!

Thanx for the good ideas, hope I can get this to work,

G4From128k

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 26 Aug 2002 :  13:41:09
If you get it to work make shure you write a guide for the website!

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 3 stars.
-------------------------------------

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Aug 2002 :  13:43:38
quote:

Resedit!!!!!

<snip>

Thanx for the good ideas, hope I can get this to work,

OOPS!!!! I guess i shoulda mentioned Resedit after all!
i assumed it was an extension in its own right.
i'm not going to assume that you have a base station in range that is correctly configured, however. If not, get thee to an internet cafe and a cup of joe to sip while you are trying to configure that *%$#%^#$ control panel's settings! (i don't know squat about this, but i have a nasty suspicious disposition regarding system software )

jt .

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 26 Aug 2002 :  15:25:56
RE: Writing a Guide: YOU BET!

RE: Base Station: Well, that is another issue too. At the moment, I've no base station (I'll be ordering one with my next Mac in a month or so). Once I got the PB to really connect to the card (it obviously recognizes the card cuz the card appears on the desktop) I planned to wander aimlessly about town in hopes of sniffing out a connection (we've got tons'o'tech companies about) or just lurk outside the local Starbucks. At this point I just want to see IF the card can work (I'm also going to use share this card with our Pismo, since these two machines are not likely to need to be mobile at the same time)

RE:System updating: Not going well. (This is why I usually buy a Mac and never upgrade the system software!) Tried to use my set of System 7.5 floppies to reinstall from scratch (the preinstall checker complained bitterly that the date of 08/26/2002 was obviously incorrect! LOL!) but the installer wouldn't run (claimed it did not recognize this type of Mac and gave a very strange garbled name to the HD ). So, now I'm trying to use system 7.5 Update 2 (which is really 7.5.3) to try to install later version of things. I'm going to stick with Clasic networking and install Open Transport as a last resort.

Having too much fun now,

G4From128k

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 26 Aug 2002 :  15:45:24
YIPEE!

The update to 7.5.3 seems to have done the trick!

Time to do the WiFi Wander

Thanx to all for the suggestions!

G4From128k

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.