All Forums
 UNIX on 68k
 A/UX CD-ROM help!
Author Topic  
tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 25 Aug 2002 :  14:46:31
So I got A/UX 3.1 up and running on my SE/30 20/500/FPU/enet. It's very cute.

First my problem/question, then a few observations.

Problem: CDs inserted into an external Apple 8X SCSI drive mount fine and are usable--for installing/updating A/UX, copying files, whatever. However, I cannot eject/put away/remove mounted CDs from the A/UX desktop. The Console log gives an error that indicates the system is trying to write something to the (read-only) disk before it ejects it.

I can eject the CD if I logout and then press the CD drive's eject button before logging in again. Definitely falls into the category of workaround, not fix.

So I need help, i.e. how do I get A/UX not to treat CDs as hard drives (and thereby not try to write to them on eject)? Where is that SCSI patch I've read about that's supposed to help with this problem? Is the patch for 3.0.x only or will it work on 3.1? If I'm going to try to unount the CD through the Unix command line, how the heck do I find out what its mount point is? Could this all just be because the 8X CD drive is unsupported in A/UX (the CD drive came out of a 6400, meaning its ROM dates from 1996 or 1997)?

Okay, a few quick observations:

FYI A/UX's OS is 7.0.1, not 7.1 The MacPartition OS can be upgraded to 7.1, 7.5.x, 7.6 or even 8.0 or 8.1.

It sucks that I have to do a whole-hog custom install just to increase the size of MacPartition over the puny default 3.8MB.

Performance on the SE/30 is decent, but it's definitely slower than "native" OS 7.

This thing is pretty weird in some of its default configuration. For example, you're automatically logged in as root -- not even a login screen shows up -- unless you edit a text file buried three folders deep on the root volume.

Finally, I literally have never seen an easier OS install process in my life. For Easy install, you click one button, then wait, then click restart and you're done. That's gotta be a record.

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
Q605 full '040 36/1.2G/enet/7.6.1-NetBSD dual-boot
SE/30 FPU 20/250/enet

Edited by - maceo on 25 Aug 2002 14:47:46

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Aug 2002 :  14:55:22
my first guess is that an 8x CD is a later vintage than A/UX and that getting ahold of any external from the IIfx era would solve your problem. as i understand it, any flavor of 'nix is extremely picky about the hardware upon which it will run and that you're lucky you have gotten it to work at all.

AU/X probably thinks anything but a 1x or 2x Caddy Loader External with an Apple Logo on it is beneath its dignity to address. but keep in mind that i know next to nothing 'bout 'nix except what i've picked up in this forum.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 25 Aug 2002 14:57:03Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.