LC / Performa
 networking an old LC...
Author Topic  
bluepxl
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  19:09:47
hi, i'm having a problem networking this old LC of mine. it's just a plain ol macintosh LC that i got for $3 at a thrift store. the OS is system 7.1. it actually came installed with an ethernet card (that says technology works on it). i finally located the driver for it and installed it, yet it still would not work. i've tried everything... selecting "ethernet" over "local" or whatever in the network thing in the control panels, making sure appletalk is active, and also going to mactcp and even defining the necessary IP address and gateway. i'm still getting no connection to the internet as it works fine with all my other computers (which happen to be much newer anyway). what's the deal? i'd really like to get this classic online to see what little apps i can run. thanks!
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  19:24:44
First of all, make sure the OpenTransport extention is present in the extention folder inside the system folder, and that TCP/IP is present in control panels. If you're trying to get web acces, you don't want or need AppleTalk on (unless you also want to connect directly with other macs at the same time). Assuming you're using DSL/Cable/T1 or anything else with a dynamic IP as your access, then all you should do is go into the TCP/IP control panel and set it to "ethernet" and "DHCP". The fact that there is an option for ethernet at all lets you know that the ethernet driver is present and loaded. If you have a static IP you can put it in manually, as you mentioned.

If it's still not working, then there's most likely a corruption of OT, TCP/IP, both, or something else in the system. A clean, reinstall of System 7.1 is a sure-fire fix, especially if you have another Mac that you can download the disk image to from our 68k MLA hotline server (68k.dynodns.org or 68k.torpediobird.com) and put on some floppies.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
I Have No Legs!

Edited by - cinemafia on 23 Aug 2002 19:25:50Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  19:30:00
System 7.1 does not come with Open Transport, using MacTCP instead.

The only HL server up now, IIRC, is 68k.torpedobird.org.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

bluepxl
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2002 :  02:34:46
exactly, only has MacTCP. and in there, i've done all the IP settings i can think of possible. still nothing... i guess i'll end up upgrading to system 7.5 if it has opentransport with automatic dhcp and all that jazz....

Go to Top of Page

Squibix
Starting Member

45 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2002 :  07:16:43
quote:
i guess i'll end up upgrading to system 7.5 if it has opentransport with automatic dhcp and all that jazz....

As I understand it, you can install Open transport with 7.1; at least I hope you can, as I'm planning to 'downgrade' my Quadra to 7.1 at some point. Dana has links to what you need on her site.

Go to Top of Page

bluepxl
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2002 :  12:43:36
well, i gave open transport a try... only to find that when starting the install it said that it would only work on 68030+ computers... and unfortunately, this is a 68020. ohhhhh well -_-

i'm wondering what on earth else i can possibly do with this network card in here. seems kind of usless.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2002 :  15:09:32
quote:

well, i gave open transport a try... only to find that when starting the install it said that it would only work on 68030+ computers... and unfortunately, this is a 68020. ohhhhh well -_-

i'm wondering what on earth else i can possibly do with this network card in here. seems kind of usless.

Damnit! That sucks, coz MacTCP sure is a byatch to configure! I'm thinking, maybe you could pick up a newer LC on eBay or something? Just a thought...those suckers seem to be everywhere....

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 25 Aug 2002 :  02:14:32
I use Open TRansport an any machine running System 7.0.1 or later.

BEFORE you install OT 1.1.2 I recommend you have a look in System Folder:Extensions to locate the ethernet card driver extension. Save it to another non-system folder - don't bother with the rest of the networking stuff.

You can download OT 1.1.1 and the 1.1.2 update from ftp.apple.com and then just mount the images using Disk Copy (v6 works in 7.1 or later IIRC) and install it like that. Once that is done copy the extension to the "Extensions" folder and reboot (again) and see if that works. If it does woohoo!! If not come back and tell us.

--
Mark Benson

FlatPackMacs http://fpm.gotdns.com

2nd Lieutenant - 68kMLA, LC Quartermaster
Flat Packing Macs for 68k MLA airlift excercises
Macs Liberated = 14!Go to Top of Page

bluepxl
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts
Posted - 28 Aug 2002 :  19:52:22
no, what i was saying is that OT would NOT let me install it-- it said something like "you have a 68020 machine, this is only compatible with 68030 or higher"... bla bla -_-

Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 29 Aug 2002 :  03:40:53
<obvious suggestion mode>
You might want to just double-check your ethernet cables-- make sure they're seated, not crossover cables, swap them for known "good" cables, etc. Also, check your hub/router indicator lights to see if you are getting a heartbeat from your LC's ethernet connection. This might tell you that your ethernet hardware is working, but something in the LC's software is not.
</obvious suggestion mode>

Hope you get your old LC online,

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

bluepxl
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts
Posted - 30 Aug 2002 :  18:59:02
yup, cables are good, router hub comes on... oh well, thanks for everyone's help anyway ^_-

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.