Lounge
 Ellen Feiss Makes the Times!
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  15:02:28
The L.A. Times, anyway. Thanks to Slartibartfast at the AAF, here's a complete transcript of an article about her that appeared in today's copy of the L.A. Times:

quote:

She's the Elusive Apple of the Web's Eye
Fans can only imagine who the teen in a Mac ad really is. And do they ever.

By SUSAN CARPENTER
TIMES STAFF WRITER
Ellen Feiss is famous because her dad's computer ate her homework. Not famous in a can't-walk-down-the-street-with-out-being-noticed kind of way, but famous in that Warholian every-body-will-have-their-15-minutes sense.
Feiss, a student, is one of the stars of Apple Computer's "switch" ad campaign, which features real people who have switched from PCs to Macintoshes. During her 30-second spot, she describes her PC experience as "kind of a bum-mer" and imitates her "berserk" computer going "beep beep beep."
Interest in Feiss is intense; infor-mation about her elusive. Apple won't divulge any details, aside from verifying she is a real teen-ager, but that hasn't stopped thou-sands of admirers from discussing her online, building tribute Web sites and selling T-shirts, Frisbees, wall clocks, mouse pads, mugs and wallpaper—all emblazoned with her image.
Dressed slacker casual in a zip-up sweatshirt, her wind-swept hair pulled back from her face to reveal clear skin, full lips and cocker-spaniel eyes, Feiss would probably have slipped under the radar if she weren't so darned cute. But there's another reason for her popularity: Her slightly slurred speech and reddish eyes have led to much speculation online as to whether or not she is stoned on marijuana -something that has made Feiss even more popular.
"We just thought she seemed like a cool, funny girl who deserved a little shrine," said Jake Brown, 30, founder of the Chicago-based Ellen Fan Club at ellenfeiss.glorious noise.com. "I wanted to build a place for all the other Ellen lovers to share their thoughts with each other."
And share they have, posting comments that are pro-Feiss and anti-Feiss, pro-drug and anti-drug, pro-Mac and anti-Mac.
"Does anybody know if she's available to book for parties?" asked one fan on the Glorious Noise site.
"Ellen Feiss for president! Woo-hoo!" declared another.
"I think the 'really good paper' she is referring to are her Zig-Zags," deadpanned another.
"That's it? For this she's famous? Save often, lady," wrote one skep-tic.

Ad Never Made It to TV
It's hard to believe so much has been read into a 30-second com-mercial, especially one that has never aired on television. The spot debuted at the MacWorld Expo on July 17 and has appeared only on the Apple Web site since. But, thanks to postings on various Web logs, Web sites and news groups that link to Apple's site, the Feiss video is making the rounds.
About 25,000 people have visited Brown's fan site since he set it up last month, but Brown isn't surprised. "It's one of those things that people love to talk about, said Brown, who is careful to point out that he is happily married and not a "stalker maniac weirdo." "The El-len ad is like a sweet, harmless ver-sion of 'The Osbournes' or 'The Anna Nicole Smith Show.'"
Michael Grant, a 22-year-old network administrator in Houston, saw the Feiss ad two weeks ago af-ter finding a link to it online. Thinking the ad was very funny and that Feiss is "cute in the extreme," he downloaded the wallpaper from the Glorious Noise site so that every time he logs on to his computer, Feiss is staring at him from his computer screen.
Brandon Caballero, a 19-year-old computer major at Texas A&M University, also saw the ad a few weeks ago, but he took his appre-ciation one step further. He set up the ellen feiss. net fan site.
Like many of her fans, who are, not surprisingly, young and male, Caballero was hoping he might get an e-mail from her. In the three weeks his site has been up, he's received hundreds of messages from fellow fans, but he hasn't heard from Feiss. He's still hoping.
"It would be nice," said Caballero. "I've never met any celebrities before."

Not Releasing Details
Apple is cautious in releasing in-formation about Feiss, probably because she is a minor.
"She's just a teenager who loves her Mac," is all the company will say. An Apple spokesperson ini-tially indicated Feiss was from L.A. but later recanted.
Apple's refusal to release any ad-ditional information has just fueled Feiss' fans, prompting one of them to create a fake interview, another to make a video remix of the commercial and some people who know her in real life to post old yearbook pictures online.
Still, it's hard to know who Feiss is. What's more amazing is that people even care, but reality—or the imitation of it—is in, as the popularity of shows such as "Survi-vor," "The Bachelor" and "Fear Factor" can attest.
"One of the difficulties for marketers is that kids are real hip to be-ng marketed to," said Tobi Elkin, a technology reporter for Advertising Age magazine. "[They] have to sort of do this anti-marketing marketing, and the use of real people may just be in that vein."
And Feiss is nothing if not real. The way she looks, talks and acts does not seem at all contrived, which is why she has been so embraced. But whether Feiss' 30-second ad spot can extend her fame beyond 15 minutes—or whether she has any interest in that happening—remains to be seen.
"It all depends on Ellen now," said fan club founder Brown. "If she would like to come forward and talk about herself, I'm sure she could be in the public eye for a longtime."

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
I Have No Legs!

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  15:08:45
Oh and yes, I know there's some dashes where there shouldn't be any, but that's thanks to Slartibartfast's repugnant Umax scanner.

I Have No Legs!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  15:11:44
quote:

The L.A. Times, anyway. Thanks to Slartibartfast at the AAF, here's a complete transcript of an article about her that appeared in today's copy of the L.A. Times:

quote:

She's the Elusive Apple of the Web's Eye
Fans can only imagine who the teen in a Mac ad really is. And do they ever.

<snip>

"It all depends on Ellen now," said fan club founder Brown. "If she would like to come forward and talk about herself, I'm sure she could be in the public eye for a longtime."

that's great :rolleyes: by monday there'll be a flood of photoshopped FeissPr0n all over the freakin' web!

or am i missing out on som . . .

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  15:19:02

The interesting thing is that Apple hinted to Feiss being located in L.A. Well, the reason I also think she might be is because the owner of Cerritos Nissan (a large Nissan dealer here in L.A.) is named Peter Feiss...he might just be her father!

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  15:25:50
quote:

The interesting thing is that Apple hinted to Feiss being located in

<censored>

...he might just be her father!

she's a minor, theorizing about her location IRL would be a violation of the terms of use of the host of the forums!

kidding around about </aqualung mode> and perve . . . . . would be permissable, but in bad taste, nonetheless.

jt .

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  15:31:47
I know, I know, but it's a pretty easy assumption. After all, Liza Richardson, a local L.A. radio DJ, was also in one of the Apple Ads. It seems that most of the people they used were located in L.A. or some major city in Cali.

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  16:26:34
Nobody ever set up a fan site for the Dell dude, AFAIK. APPLE ROCKS THE HOUSE!

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  16:35:04
That's because Steve is a great big, giant Donkey (or another name for one, anyway)!

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  16:45:00
quote:

i'd guess there are probably more than a few, check it out!

google hits for "dell dude" 1,190
google hits for "ellen feiss" 144

first hit: DELL - Customized, Top Performing PCs Direct from Dell™
first hit: Ellen Feiss Loves Naked Dwarves!

proving once again thru rigorous scientific analysis that: while they may only jiggle the house a little, mac users are definitely more fun!

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 23 Aug 2002 16:49:42Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  16:52:54
quote:

That's because Steve is a great big, giant Donkey (or another name for one, anyway)!

wait a minute, i hope you mean on of those other two and NOT the woz!

jt .

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  17:03:48
quote:

Of course not!

And hey, who doesn't love naked dwarves? I got a couple in my apartment right now keeping the place spic and span...

I Have No Legs!

Edited by - cinemafia on 23 Aug 2002 17:07:18Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  17:05:34

jt .

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  17:45:49
quote:

quote:

i'd guess there are probably more than a few, check it out!

google hits for "dell dude" 1,190
google hits for "ellen feiss" 144

first hit: DELL - Customized, Top Performing PCs Direct from Dell™
first hit: Ellen Feiss Loves Naked Dwarves!

proving once again thru rigorous scientific analysis that: while they may only jiggle the house a little, mac users are definitely more fun!

jt .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 23 Aug 2002 16:49:42

HAR!™ x INFINITY!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  17:53:04

btw: that attribution would be Napoleon Bonaparte or the Bard, IIRC.

jt .

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  18:47:45
LOL! I thought it was just a girl on weed *snikers*

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 3 stars.
---------------------------
Servers: afp://* ftp://* hotline://*
"The Site"

*68kdisk.no-ip.comGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2002 :  07:32:01
So, was it "bummer" or "FUBAR"?

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2002 :  11:43:31
quote:

that really depends, it's a VERY strange and unpredictable phenomenon!

jt .

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2002 :  14:58:36
quote:

quote:

jt .

BUMMER!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2002 :  15:21:19
quote:

I guess it depends on how much weed you've smoked.

Macs Liberated: SE (2), IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180

vanman2004
Starting Member

USA
33 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2002 :  20:13:48
quote:

quote:

Of course not!

And hey, who doesn't love naked dwarves? I got a couple in my apartment right now keeping the place spic and span...

I Have No Legs!

Edited by - cinemafia on 23 Aug 2002 17:07:18

Yeah, every macaddict loves dirk the midget!

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 25 Aug 2002 :  17:16:15
quote:

quote:

quote:

Of course not!

I Have No Legs!

Edited by - cinemafia on 23 Aug 2002 17:07:18

Wha? Who is that?

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 3 stars.
---------------------------
Servers: afp://* ftp://* hotline://*
"The Site"

*68kdisk.no-ip.comGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Aug 2002 :  17:37:22
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Of course not!

Wha? Who is that?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=%22dirk+the+midget%22

jt .

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 26 Aug 2002 :  08:44:46
She's either slightly baked, or she could be on some serious alergy meds. That would also explain redened eyes and a somewhat spacey demeanor.

On average a full 2 pill dose of Sudafed has psychotropic effects on me about 1 in 5 times.

68K's liberated: 1
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 26 Aug 2002 :  10:35:52
Sudafed® is pseudoephedrine hydrochloride, a stimulant. Wouldn't have that soporific effect on Miss Feiss (is Apple using the real names of its 'switchers'?). Never heard of it having pschotropic effects more severe than caffeine, either, but I'll ask my wife (a doc).

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Aug 2002 :  10:44:05
Comrades, I really don't think she was on any drugs at all, she didn't look all that different from half the exhausted, bored kids that trudge in and out of my kid's high school every day. after the 137th take, who wouldn't sound swacked? she's zoned out from utter boredom, the lights and the inane drivel of the adults been she's dealing with for 93.5 minutes after an 73 minutes of wardrobe and makeup!

it's all in the editing and it deserves a Clio if they ever grow the stones to air it in the US!

IMHO, of course.

jt .

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 26 Aug 2002 :  10:59:10
quote:

Sudafed® is pseudoephedrine hydrochloride, a stimulant. Wouldn't have that soporific effect on Miss Feiss (is Apple using the real names of its 'switchers'?). Never heard of it having pschotropic effects more severe than caffeine, either, but I'll ask my wife (a doc).

/Mr Lynn

I know that Sudafed is a stimulant, but there are other prescription allergy meds that will make you drowsy or dingy (even though they say they won't.) Several folks in my job have allergies and I know they don't use controlled substances, and depending on how bad a day they're having they can look and sound like her.

For me about 1 in 5 times, Sudafed gives me mild auditory and tactiles hallucinations if I take 2 tabs.

Even with 1 I lose *a lot* of my ability to concentrate -- even though I'm not drowsy.

68K's liberated: 1
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 26 Aug 2002 :  13:36:53
quote:
Miss Feiss (is Apple using the real names of its 'switchers'?).

Yes, they are.

Oh, and speaking of Sudafed, Jamie White, another local L.A. radio DJ, often talks about being stoned on Sudafed. It seems that it has a very marijuana-like effect on certain people's chemistry.

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 Aug 2002 :  23:36:07
quote:

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).

Who DOESN'T know what Sudafed is? I always take it when i have a cold!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  08:28:07
quote:

I know that Sudafed is a stimulant, but there are other prescription allergy meds that will make you drowsy or dingy (even though they say they won't.) Several folks in my job have allergies and I know they don't use controlled substances, and depending on how bad a day they're having they can look and sound like her.

It's alleged she'd taken Benadryl, which could explain a LOT. There's a great thread in MacAch over on Ars with links to fan sites and parodies. including a link to her appearance on NPR. my favorite has gotta be ellenmouse.mov (chipmunk voice effect overdub of real ad) followed closely by one of the print type ads which shall remain anonymous.

she's a media monster! a Letterman appearance can't be far off!

jt .

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  08:46:56
quote:
In the three weeks his site has been up, he's received hundreds of messages from fellow fans, but he hasn't heard from Feiss...... An Apple spokesperson ini-tially indicated Feiss was from L.A. but later recanted.

Secrecy like that makes me think she doesn't really exist. Plus, she sounds and looks stoned as a mule in that ad.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  22:36:46
HEY!, I don't like the attitudes that you have, just because it may LOOK like someone is in a certain condition, doesn't mean that they are!! When I see any of you in your searching for a mac dumpsterdiving clothes, I reserve the right to assume that your a bum, and treat you so. I bet that some of you look pretty silly when your in your own habitat, or when you think that others aren't looking, I can't believe that you actually THINK that anyone in those switcher ada are under the influence!!, I say, I may LOOK Like I'm something I'm not (unclean, a bum, ect ect.) but I can assure you that I'm not.

I've seen pictures that you post of your personal places, and to some, those pictures may make you SEEM like a person who has too much, I agree with trash,

quote:

Comrades, I really don't think she was on any drugs at all, she didn't look all that different from half the exhausted, bored kids that trudge in and out of my kid's high school every day. after the 137th take, who wouldn't sound swacked? she's zoned out from utter boredom, the lights and the inane drivel of the adults been she's dealing with for 93.5 minutes after an 73 minutes of wardrobe and makeup!

the stress and boredom of being used as any kind of "subject" be it painting, video, or photo, especially under lights can get overwhelming, and your mind can just go away

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 28 Aug 2002 :  17:38:13
<soapbox>
IMHO, she is baked out in the commercial.

Hell, it is an apple ad, and you'd think that apple would be pleased to see someone stoned out, after all, the mac was the brainchild of blasted apple engineers, and if you know your macworld expos, there is a place referred to as "the office" which is the designated area for people to have a joint or two. the information is on the iBong site, google around for ibong if you are interested

IMHO, it is FUBAR, it means something more funny than "a bummer" (for those that do not know, Fuc...erm...Fouled up beyond all recognition)

and ya, I think that we will see a dramatic rise of the Pr0n in the next few days, horrible paste ups that look that they were done in M$ paint. They are good for a laugh at other people's image editing abilities

phew!
</soapbox>

Master Sergeant
Specialty: Camoflague (Mack Hacking)
68ks Liberated: Too many according to my parentsGo to Top of Page

thelip

USA
729 Posts
Posted - 29 Aug 2002 :  07:07:53
I saw her ad on apple's site when they introduced them and I never thought of it again, til this post. I'm a little confused about the big deal. I think the media is jumping on her "stoned" appearance because there's nothing else to bash right now. If I had a nickel for everytime somebody accused me of being drunk/stoned/etc, I would have a new g4 because it's how I am. Probably medication for other stuff has an effect as well. If this is the most interesting thing that people have to discuss about on fan sites and here then i suggest that the whole world go take a walk outside and get away from media, radio, and the internet. Everybody is so concerned with others that they can't look at themselves. I've never smoked pot, drank til i'm drunk, or anything but i will never judge anybody who does that can in their own time and privacy.

Who cares about who/what ellen feiss is like, the important issue is me and my actions in life. That's not a selfish statement, but a frame of mind.

** SEE IF MY NEWTON IS ONLINE AT nsa68k.kicks-ass.net ***Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 29 Aug 2002 :  09:45:57
quote:
Who cares about who/what ellen feiss is like, the important issue is me and my actions in life. That's not a selfish statement, but a frame of mind.

Wise words, thelip- celebrity worship and obsession suck!

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Aug 2002 :  10:39:11
There is a very big difference between "celebrity worship" and following a remarkably curious instance of Warhol's "15 minutes of fame" for the comedic value.

The funniest post so far was the one on Ars about the slobbering reactions of a pack of geeks whenever anything vaguely female is flashe in front of them . . .

The more sadder cases would be all the "i'd do . . . " posts, but they're still good for a chuckle in most instances.

Humor and laughter are wonderful gifts and some of the most important tools in dealing with life. I don't think anybody has been particularly judgemental here, a little raucous at times, but enjoying "everygirl's" shot at fame and laughing at the silliness of the whole situation is a healthy reaction, IMHO.

Whatever . . . my cheeks get sore at times from grinning while following this stuff online, it doesn't get a whole lot better than that when it comes to entertainment!

jt .

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 29 Aug 2002 :  14:11:22
To quote raWr, "I don't care." There's nothing particularly special about her. I know lots of attractive Mac-using girls, and I don't fantasize about any of them. IMHO, she doesn't look like she's stoned, just tired. My mom commented that I looked like that when I woke up at 5:30 for marching band this morning.

[rant]
I think after debugging a certain amount of code and/or taking a certain number of AP classes concurrently, all parts of the brain pertaining to common sense and/or social skills turn to mush. However, it is possible to be a nerd and have a life. Especially if you're in band.
[/rant]

Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180

ehurtley

USA
63 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  00:14:47
quote:

I know, I know, but it's a pretty easy assumption. After all, Liza Richardson, a local L.A. radio DJ, was also in one of the Apple Ads. It seems that most of the people they used were located in L.A. or some major city in Cali.

With two coming from Portland, Oregon. Apple doesn't have an official Apple Store here because a local dealer is too big. (The Computer Store, which had Apple's VP of Internet Services at their main store for the Jaguar rollout.) The Computer Store volunteered (i.e., found customers willing to do it) two of the switchers, Tess and... Hmm, it's either Patrick or Damon, I can't remember which now. (Which is really bad that I can't remember, because one of my employees knows him!)

Proud Liberator of over 25 Macintoshes!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.