Quadra / Centris
 Quadras
Author Topic  
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  14:49:42
I plan to get:-

A Quadra 650 which has a rgb monitor with it.

what monitors can be attatched to 68kmacs & is there a place which discusses this?

I went off topic there, sorry I'll continue;

A Quadra 950
A Powerbook duo 280c with duodock.

What will I need to network all of these machines?(including my Quadra 840av)

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  14:59:37
68k macs are best off using Apple-logo'd, DB-15 style monitors. There's a lot of them, and you can take a look at them and their specs here if you click on one of the three links under "displays".

The easiest way to network them is with serial cables, since all of them have built-in serial ports. You can use PhoneNET, which is pretty cheap and easy.

The other way is ethernet. You'll either need AUI to RJ-45 adapters or Nubus ethernet cards for the three Quadras, but getting ethernet on the Duo is tricky and expensive. It's been discussed to death in other threads so just search for "Duo ethernet" and you should come across them.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
I Have No Legs!Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  14:59:38
The easyest way would be to use (I forget what you call it ) but you use the printer ports, the fastest way would be to use ethernet the Q650 would need a PDS ethernet card and the easyest one would be a RJ-45 PDS Card for your Quadra you would need a AAUI to RJ-45 Adapter and for your pb duo I really don't kow i've never had a powerbook.

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 3 stars.
---------------------------
Servers: afp://* ftp://* hotline://*
"The Site"

*68kdisk.no-ip.comGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  16:51:51
quote:
The easyest way would be to use (I forget what you call it ) but you use the printer ports

It's called LocalTalk, what Cine was talking about with PhoneNet. It's incredibly slow. Ethernet is faster, but you need Ethernet cables, transceivers, and a hub if you have more than two machines to network.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  17:03:55
quote:

quote:
The easyest way would be to use (I forget what you call it ) but you use the printer ports

It's called LocalTalk, what Cine was talking about with PhoneNet. It's incredibly slow.

it's only incredibly slow on a saturated network, which nobody in the MLA probably needs to worry about, otherwise its sluggishness is entirely credible.

ethernet is CONSIDERABLY faster, but not by nearly as much as it is reputed to be according tha actual thruput in machine to machine file transfers.

the Quadra 650 will have AAUI built in and it might present as optional equipment on a Centris, but make sure to get the Quadra anyway.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2002 :  12:57:02
Quadra's all the way, Quadra's all the way, cos I is only to b likin me Quadra's cos all the other macs are just unfortunate wee beasties innit?

Anyhow I also like erm Powerbook duo 280c's &/with a duodockII.

I might like to have an ibook.

aside from that I dont care much for apple.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

mattminserlg15

70 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2002 :  19:48:55
Ethernet Networking would be fairly simple....
Quadra 650 has built in AAUI port, all you need is an RJ-45 Tranciver
Quadra 950 also has AAUI, again just the RJ-45 Tranciver

The duo dock II may have built in eithernet, but if not, all you need to do is add a nubus card to one of its two slots. Then, wehn the DUO is docked, it will have access to your network. Theres no simple way to network the DUO when its out of the dock tho.

After that all you need is a hub and some cables and you are set.

IM me on AIM Shakti if you need more advice, or i can show you what adapters to buy.
my AOL screenname is eminemlg13

Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 25 Aug 2002 :  07:59:33
quote:

Theres no simple way to network the DUO when its out of the dock tho.

Actually, it depends on a couple of factors: MacOS version, speed expectations, portability, and whether TCP/IP is required.

Obviously, LocalTalk will work with an undocked Duo, but is probably the worst option from a speed perepective and requires some kind of bridge to an Ethernet network. It also requires additional bridging if TCP/IP is required.

Serial port Ethernet adapters (Farallon EtherWave or DaynaPORT E/Z) will work nicely, but only under classic networking and are obviously not the fastest solution (though still faster than LocalTalk).

On that note, the Farallon EtherWave will work as a dumb LocalTalk bridge with connected to a Mac with no additional driver loaded. (And it's small enough to toss into the bag with the Duo.)

Sacrificing some portability, there are the SCSI-to-Ethernet adapters which also require a SCSI-capable minidock. My current favorite (and what I use on my 280c running 8.1) is a Sonic MicroSCSI with a Newer SCSIdock. I would also recommend the Dayna SCSILink series, though I don't know how well the driver supports OT and 8.1 (been too lazy to try it). Avoid the Asante EN/SC series as the compatibity issues have beaten to death here.

<<<john>>>

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 25 Aug 2002 :  14:37:24
You have been blkocked matt

shaktiman

3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

mattminserlg15

70 Posts
Posted - 25 Aug 2002 :  15:44:13
huh? I'm very confused.... I thought my advice was good...

Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 26 Aug 2002 :  11:21:13
quote:

Actually, I though it was good, too. I just happen to have spent a lot of time recently getting a couple of non-docked Duos onto my home network.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Aug 2002 :  13:59:40
quote:

quote:

Actually, I though it was good, too. I just happen to have spent a lot of time recently getting a couple of non-docked Duos onto my home network.

How are yours hooked up, John? Can you test to get a real world comparison of a Serial port Ethernet adapter against a Localtalk to 10baseT bridge? Farallon tech swore up and down that it was significantly faster, but I never QUITE believed it!

jt .

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  07:43:33
quote:

quote:

How are yours hooked up, John? Can you test to get a real world comparison of a Serial port Ethernet adapter against a Localtalk to 10baseT bridge? Farallon tech swore up and down that it was significantly faster, but I never QUITE believed it!

The Duo 280c running 8.1 uses a Sonic MicroSCSI through a Newer SCSI MicroDock.

The Duo 210 runs 7.5.5 and classic networking. It is connected using a Farallon EtherWave Mac/PB adapter. I have also used a DaynaPORT E/Z with it. Both seemed to work about equally well, but switched to the Farallon mostly because of size.

As far as I can tell, Farallon's claims are based on their driver which, they claim, can get higher performance than LocalTalk. Even if it isn't, IMHO, the EtherWave adapters are still brilliant pieces of engineering.

I could probably run a test, but would need some help determining the test criteria/procedure.

<<<john>>>

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  09:16:11
quote:

As far as I can tell, Farallon's claims are based on their driver which, they claim, can get higher performance than LocalTalk. Even if it isn't, IMHO, the EtherWave adapters are still brilliant pieces of engineering.

I could probably run a test, but would need some help determining the test criteria/procedure.

I've never heard of Sonic other than the controller ASIC's, was that the company name on those IC's?

I'm absolutely clueless about benchmarks that get any more complex than operating the buttons on my (analog mechanical) stopwatch!

jt .

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  09:53:09
quote:

I've never heard of Sonic other than the controller ASIC's, was that the company name on those IC's?

Sonic Systems, though they have apparently reinvented themselves as a firewall company under the name SonicWALL. I think, but have never been able to verify, that they had some sort of OEM relationship with Farallon whereby they made a couple of Farallon's products including the Farallon MicroSCSI SCSI-to-Ethernet adapter. (I would love to find one for testing.)

Their older drivers are still on their website in an "unsupported" directory.

Go to Top of Page

mattminserlg15

70 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  16:10:28
cooooooooooooomon shatkiman, arnt you going to tell me what i did wrong for you to "block me"? Use spaces when replying please

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  23:48:24
quote:

Another lesson to be prefaced by "COMPUTERS SUCK!":

NEVER EXPECT A COMPANY TO OFFER SUPPORT FOR A PRODUCT ANY OLDER THAN 1 DAY!!!!!

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 03 Sep 2002 :  13:57:19
quote:

quote:

Another lesson to be prefaced by "COMPUTERS SUCK!":

NEVER EXPECT A COMPANY TO OFFER SUPPORT FOR A PRODUCT ANY OLDER THAN 1 DAY!!!!!

To their credit, at least they still post them at all.

At the other end of the spectrum are companies like Focus Enhancements and Orange Micro who disavow any knowledge of their older hardware.

(Actually, I should be nice to OM, they were nice enough to send me an original Mac286 manual.)

<<<john>>>Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.