All Forums
 Apple ][
 Dead IIGS
Author Topic  
MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  09:29:52
Well, seeing as how I wrote a page on the Amazing, versatile Apple IIGS, (I was going to link to it, but the website is down) I figured I might as well go out and get one. So I went to the thrift store with my mother the other day, and picked up a IIGS, 3.5 SuperDrive, 5.25 floppy drive, original keyboard and mouse, DOS 3.3 on 5.25 floppy, and an Apple ][e color monitor for the grand total of $6.00!

I got it home, plugged everything in, hit the power switch on the back, and...nothing! Wait, there was a little something, the 5.25 drive flickered for just an instant. I tried turning it on and off and then back on, but that didn't work. I have tried replacing the PRAM battery (four times!) I have put several keyboards and new ADB cables, but that hasn't worked either.

Is there anybody out there, Tallgeese where are you?, that might have any other suggestions before I go out and try to find another for P/S and MB swaps?

------------------
MacMoose
Benevolent Genius, 68k MLA
Total 68K Macs liberated: 9 and counting
------------------

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  09:36:41
quote:

Well, seeing as how I wrote a page on the Amazing, versatile Apple IIGS, (I was going to link to it, but the website is down) I figured I might as well go out and get one. So I went to the thrift store with my mother the other day, and picked up a IIGS, 3.5 SuperDrive, 5.25 floppy drive, original keyboard and mouse, DOS 3.3 on 5.25 floppy, and an Apple ][e color monitor for the grand total of $6.00!

I got it home, plugged everything in, hit the power switch on the back, and...nothing! Wait, there was a little something, the 5.25 drive flickered for just an instant. I tried turning it on and off and then back on, but that didn't work. I have tried replacing the PRAM battery (four times!) I have put several keyboards and new ADB cables, but that hasn't worked either.

Is there anybody out there, Tallgeese where are you?, that might have any other suggestions before I go out and try to find another for P/S and MB swaps?

did you look for a fuse? there might be one somewhere on a computer from that era, they turn up in the darndest places at times.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 25 Aug 2002 :  13:14:38
quote:
did you look for a fuse?

Looked all over for a fuse, but couldn't find one...any body out there got a link to a .pdf service manual? I googled and didn't see one.

------------------
MacMoose
------------------
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Aug 2002 :  13:23:44
quote:

quote:
did you look for a fuse?

Looked all over for a fuse, but couldn't find one...any body out there got a link to a .pdf service manual? I googled and didn't see one.

k, then the next thing i'd suggest would be to go check out the Apple II forum at fritter:

http://www.applefritter.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=apple2

use the search function over there and i'm sure you'll find all kinds of goodies. i'm assuming that you used "search" in this forum here already.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 25 Aug 2002 :  14:00:23
quote:
use the search function over there and i'm sure you'll find all kinds of goodies. i'm assuming that you used "search" in this forum here already.

Yup, searched this one...no luck, but will try fritter.

I did however make an important discovery! An LC's power supply works in my IIgs! I got a tone, searched the disk drive, and another tone. Time to plug in the monitor.

------------------
MacMoose
------------------
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.