Author Topic  
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  15:38:28
I thought that the sort of ppl who post here might be interested in this;

http://www.iipmail.demon.co.uk/OS.HTM

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  16:13:59
quote:
TOS, being a ROM based OS has several advantages and disadvantages; namely should there be a major problem with the system (IE Hard Drive problems) the machine can still be booted and applications run from floppy until the fault is rectified. A ROM based OS also allows for near instant boot ups too. I have never had to resort to a complete HD format and OS re- installation due to odd OS behaviour, unlike other computers I use! The disadvantage with a ROM based OS is that this prevents easy upgrades to the system.

Hey thats sortof like the classic with it's rom boot! neato.

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 2 stars.
---------------------------
Servers: afp://* ftp://* hotline://*
"The Site"

*68kdisk.no-ip.comGo to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  15:19:58
Does the classic rom boot?,

Could we hack an 840av to rom boot?

What we would do is to "fool" the 840 av into thinking that the rom card with the os on is a drive for it to boot from.

It is so frustrating to not have a cartridge port on the apple.

We should be able to get the os burnt onto eprom easy enough.

Darek Mihocka may have an idea of how to handle this one.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  16:36:41
I suppose if you really wanted to you could figure out how to put the Mac OS on a ROM in a SCSI device and boot the machine from that.

How do you install drivers in TOS if you boot from ROM? Is there some kind of Apple II-ish system whereby devices provide their own drivers?

What kind of hardware does TOS run on, and where can I get it?

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  17:29:07
quote:

I suppose if you really wanted to you could figure out how to put the Mac OS on a ROM in a SCSI device and boot the machine from that.

there has to be a place in the memory map of the mac to stick a ROM right on the data bus that'll be checked immediately at startup, i think that's how it worked in ROM based DOS and Windows implementations, but i haven't read anything about it in a LONG time.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  19:02:11
quote:

Does the classic rom boot?,

Could we hack an 840av to rom boot?

Yes it was going to be a network maachine but they changed there mind you just hold cmd opt x o at startup if you hold it long enough.
No the Q840av cant unless you put a os on a rom and place it in the machiene.

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 3 stars.
---------------------------
Servers: afp://* ftp://* hotline://*
"The Site"

*68kdisk.no-ip.comGo to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2002 :  13:41:28
The world has changed & moved on. Y are we still using disk based os's when they are inferior?

Prices have fallen & rom os is a good idea, cos it is quicker & if us lunatics cant alter it we cant bugger it up,,,,,,lol.

quote:
How do you install drivers in TOS if you boot from ROM? Is there some kind of Apple II-ish
system whereby devices provide their own drivers?

What kind of hardware does TOS run on, and where can I get it?

devices either are "universal" ala the floppy drive or other branded device ie- apple specific, if not then the device comes with a device driver, or as is the case of the Atari world some third party programmer programs a driver for a device, I know they did this for some a4 flatbed scanners.

Tos runs on Atari, & the best Tos IMHO is 2.06 or 3.06 (which are fairly interchangeable), after that tos got too buggy & b4 that it was buggy. The best system to run TOS on is IMHO a pc running Gemulator. Gemulator is IMHO better than an st.

I can send out cd's or email a floppy sized prog Gemulator & tos will fit on a 1.44 meg floppy, no need to unpack or anything just double click on Gemul8tor.exe.

shaktiman

3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.