All Forums
 Lounge
 SRS 5.1...?
Author Topic  
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  14:36:43
Ok well for anyone that has been talking to me on AIM, you may know that I occaisionally have to go down and "work" in the basement, well, now its done!

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking aboot; We (my family and I) have gone from a 150 yr old stone foundation to VERY high quality home theatre. I can give specs if anyone is interested, but for now, I will actually get to the point

I can now play Surround 5.1, but other than DVD's, is ther eany place I can get audio in a "format" that will do this. I never really thought about it, but I have no idea what kinda format could/would do this, or if there was any way to kinda rearrange levels and such in current files to "recompile" them in 5.1

I know this is a very bizarre topic, but i have no idea where else to ask, and of course, the folks here are always quite knowledgable

Hope Someone can help!

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline Server

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  14:57:32
5.1 SRS isn't an easy/cheap format to produce, and right now the only consumer base for it is DVD and console/computers games. As 5.1 gets cheaper and more widespread, we might start seeing 5.1 music/spoken word albums and what not. Then again, that's what people said about 96k audio five years ago, and while it certainly has gotten cheaper, it's still only really used in the professional production level, and not much in the consumer.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
I Have No Legs!

Edited by - cinemafia on 22 Aug 2002 14:58:18Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  15:28:04
Ahh well there goes my fun time! Oh well. I did some reading and discovered that DVD-A disks are becoming more and more integrated and artists are slowly going to start recordin on them

~The Penguin

There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline ServerGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  15:38:47
That's cool, I'd like to see stuff like that become mainstream. The PhotoCD, VideoCD and EnchancedCD never really caught on because of the limitations of the CD-R's 650/700MB storage cap, but having 5.2GB at one's disposal makes it a lot more interesting!

I Have No Legs!Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  15:45:38
I JUST remembered something.

Doesn't DVD studio pro use something like mpeg-2 as its audio source?

Could you multi-track this?

Woohoo! if this is right! Anyone else know anything aboot this, i gtg dig up my copy now, Its PLAY time!

~The Penguin

68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline ServerGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  15:51:31
Yes, I beleive with DVD Studio Pro you can do 5.1 or similar surround encoding...though I haven't actually used it, yet. Just wait until I get my SuperDrive eMac!!

I Have No Legs!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.