68k Peripherals
 Swap Meet Trip
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  12:51:24
On Sunday I went to the local Swap Meet in Saugus, which is just a couple miles from my house. For some reason or another, I hadn't been there in years, even though it's held every Tuesday and Sunday. Anyway, I found a couple Super Nintendo games I'd wanted, as well as some strange rendering of the goddess Shiva for my apartment. Also, there were a couple mac-related items.

One guy was selling four 1GB Jaz disks for $5 (!) each. All were Mac format and had the name and phone number of their former owner written on them. However, they'd been sitting out in the sun all day and were quite hot, and knowing the high failure rate of the old 1GB Jaz disks, I decided not to get them. Maybe next Sunday I'll see if he'll part with them for $3 each!

The best thing, though, and I know JT will love this, was what I believe to be a US Military external SCSI CD-ROM! Essentially, it was an oversived, standard Army-green metal box that had knobs and switches all over it. On the front, there was a screw-released door labelled "CD-ROM", which, when opened, revealed a caddy-loaded CD-ROM inside. On the side, toward the front, was a black, rubberized switch that turned the unit on and off. Also on the side, toward the back of the unit, were two centronics 50 SCSI ports, which were labelled "SCSI" and were covered with black rubber, waterproof flaps.

I have to say, it was obne of the coolest things I've ever seen. I'm sure it was US Army issue, because the level of detail and quality were just too high to have been an amteur hack. The seller wanted $10 for it, and I was going to get it, but SAF said otherwise. My wife said "You're just going to end up sticking it in the closet and never using it!", which is true for most of my Mac hardware, but I do have several homeless CD-ROM's that I could pop into it very quickly. I'm sure it'll still be there next Sunday, though, so maybe by then the SAF will allow its purchase...

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
I Have No Legs!

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  13:39:34
quote:

. . . JT will love this, was what I believe to be a US Military external SCSI CD-ROM!

I have to say, it was obne of the coolest things I've ever seen . . . I was going to get it, but SAF said otherwise. My wife said "You're just going to end up sticking it in the closet and never using it!" . . . I'm sure it'll still be there next Sunday, though, so maybe by then the SAF will allow its purchase...

chicken-guano-wussy-mo! :rolleyes:

<INCREDIBLY stupid advice from an idiot (w/XSAF) mode!>

stand up to her, be a man!

</INCREDIBLY stupid advice from an idiot (w/XSAF) mode>

smart move, 'mo!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 21 Aug 2002 13:41:52Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  13:52:39
I know, I know, but I actually didn't have much cash at the time, either, and I wanted the old Super Nintendo games more...

Maybe if I get it, I can put that slot-loading, SCSI CD-ROM in it! It's been sitting in my closet since I got it...

I Have No Legs!Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  13:55:39
Yes! SNES rocks! Get a copy of Link to the Past, by any chance? My all time favorite...

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  14:55:37
Nope, but I have Mario World, Mario Kart, Zelda, Clay Fighter and the SuperFamicom (Japanese) version of Street Fighter II Turbo. I'm working on getting more SuperFamicom games, since they tend to be rare and interesting.

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  16:45:29
quote:

The best thing, though, and I know JT will love this, was what I believe to be a US Military external SCSI CD-ROM! Essentially, it was an oversived, standard Army-green metal box that had knobs and switches all over it. On the front, there was a screw-released door labelled "CD-ROM", which, when opened, revealed a caddy-loaded CD-ROM inside. On the side, toward the front, was a black, rubberized switch that turned the unit on and off. Also on the side, toward the back of the unit, were two centronics 50 SCSI ports, which were labelled "SCSI" and were covered with black rubber, waterproof flaps.

Did it have four "hooks" on the top, as though another box could snap onto it?

It sounds suspiciously like the CD-ROM option for a first-generation Lightweight Computer Unit (LCU)- a 27lb 486 lunchbox constructed for the Army by SAIC as part of the Army's Common Hardware/Software (CHS) program.

(Gee, I wonder what jruschme does for a living? :-)

Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  16:50:23
Ahhh, SNES, how I love thee... I've got about 60-70 games (mostly RPG/adventure stuff) at last count, and I'm always looking for more! Wheeee!
:-)
SpaceBoy

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  17:02:12
quote:

It sounds suspiciously like the CD-ROM option for a first-generation Lightweight Computer Unit (LCU)- a 27lb 486 lunchbox constructed for the Army by SAIC as part of the Army's Common Hardware/Software (CHS) program.

I'm not sure...but I think it may have. There were lots of hooks and niches all over the thing. I'm definitely going to have to buy it next Sunday and take pics! Now, my only question is what to hack into it. A 32x tray-loader? A 32x slot-loader? A 4x write/12x read tray loader? I dunno...

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  20:01:23
quote:

quote:

I'm not sure...but I think it may have. There were lots of hooks and niches all over the thing. I'm definitely going to have to buy it next Sunday and take pics! Now, my only question is what to hack into it. A 32x tray-loader? A 32x slot-loader? A 4x write/12x read tray loader? I dunno...

Oops, I forgot that Litton is now the LCU contractor. That said, it's amazing what you can find online...

http://www.littondsd.com/products/peripherals/v2_cdrom.html

As for installing a writer, I'd be careful about heat. Ventilation was probably a secondary design constraint to providing an environment which can be sealed against dust, moisture, etc.

<<<john>>>

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  20:07:02
quote:

Nope, but I have Mario World, Mario Kart, Zelda, Clay Fighter and the SuperFamicom (Japanese) version of Street Fighter II Turbo. I'm working on getting more SuperFamicom games, since they tend to be rare and interesting.

Link to the Past = Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Good for you!

How do you play super fami games on your snes? I suppose this is sort of off topic but...

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  11:26:45
quote:

Oops, I forgot that Litton is now the LCU contractor. That said, it's amazing what you can find online...

http://www.littondsd.com/products/peripherals/v2_cdrom.html

Holy moly, that's IT! Good work finding the link! And hey, 12x is pretty quick for a caddy-loader. I haven't seen many caddy-loaders that were better than 6x or 8x. It would be nice to have just to have, I guess, hack or not.

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.