Author Topic  
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  08:23:12
quoting this is probably easier than trying to explain the concept:

quote:

this seems to be the perennial question!

consensus on a short answer: no

caveat: you could build or maybe buy a controller, but probably isn't worth the $/effort.

there are more threads about doing this than you can shake a stick at, use the search function to find some of them or scan the titles in the hacks forum. ;)

extending the lines to use it separately is a different problem tho, that might be doable. i think earthcd.com (?) is the controller/LCD site of choice for pursuing the other approach.

jt

YO!, 'stealth! you should edit keywords into some of the most informative of the posts in these recurring topic threads to make searching a snap, "holygrail" comes to mind for this particular one. :-/

now i gotta go make this suggestion to the 68kMLA mods! ) :D

whatcha think, mod squad?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  11:52:53
I don't think I'm part of the mod squad but I shall add my two (scribble out cents (cents))penny's worth anyhow.

To rehash recurring topics would take away from the "busyness" of the site.

It could also deter begginners.

That said I certainly dont think the idea is without merit.

Perhaps a database of such "recurring" topics is required.

An "easy to navigate" DATABASE I SAY.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  17:15:59
I hate to always be the one who turns down these ideas, but...
ENGINE LIMITATIONS!

My guess is that it wouldn't be too hard for someone to hack the censor parser into this kind of thing, but again, we need someone who knows ASP.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  18:46:12
quote:

I hate to always be the one who turns down these ideas, but...
ENGINE LIMITATIONS!

My guess is that it wouldn't be too hard for someone to hack the censor parser into this kind of thing, but again, we need someone who knows ASP.

i don't think you understood my point, there is NO software modification necessary AT ALL! for example, i suggested that blackstealth simply edit in the word "holygrail" into a few of the very best posts regarding the difficulties involved with getting a PowerBook screen to function as a standard mac input monitor for something like a microquadra or even a new G4. moderators over there used to go in and edit "smilies inside quotes" out of posts due to a forum software bug.

here's how it works, i just edited the word "eastereggnog" into two posts, one into a post of cinemo's in the links project just to make sure i could do it in my forum and to see how it looks, and one into a post of mine in the humongous APB thread so give this a try:

1) use the existing search function to find posts with the word "eastereggnog" in the default-any member-any date parameters.

2) click on the "APB Cinemo" thread to find the keyword flagged post.

3) click the "quote/response" icon in any posting at random as if you were going to respond.

4) type Command-F Return (or mouse the find command in your browser)

5) check out the exact post on the correct page pinpointed by the highlighted keyword in that monstrous thread in a few easy steps.

it should be an easy process to find any post that has been tagged with the "68kMLA moderators (encoded seal of approval) bronze star citation" denoting that the post was very good but not excellent or freakin' awesome.

it's a fairly quick search method for finding tagged "best of the best posts" and no software modification is required at all. just down and dirty utilization of the crap we've already got on hand.

it's kind of an expanded, informal version of the linking to informative threads that you've already done on the site. a Q&A kinda keyword reference interface to go with it would be required, but my process gets you to the exact "post of merit", nopt just to the thread in general. anybody having a mod flag their post should take it as a compliment.

whatcha think?

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 20 Aug 2002 18:59:11Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  20:05:07
It sounds cool... but also like a lot of extra work.
Maybe if we extended SuperMod to every forum, so any individual mod could implement a keyword.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  20:48:50
quote:

It sounds cool... but also like a lot of extra work.
Maybe if we extended SuperMod to every forum, so any individual mod could implement a keyword.

i thought supermod was everywhere already! maybe just start a suggestions thread in here so the troops can recommend posts for commendations. i remember suggestions about a ratings system being discussed, this way the troops can have a say in the process. some kind of formatted text that can be copied and pasted right out of the posts would work great.

keyword (periodically updated list in first post of the thread)
username
link to thread
date of post

but that'll never happen! maybe just:

keyword - forum - pasted heading from post - pasted link of topic

eastereggnog
Trash80toG-4
"NIGHT STALKER"

USA
1918 Posts
Posted - 26 Jun 2002 : 08:34:13
topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=1660.html&whichpage=13

which quickly becomes:

eastereggnog
Trash80toG-4
Posted - 26 Jun 2002 : 08:34:13
topic.asp.TOPIC_ID=1660.html&whichpage=13

that should be easy to copy the entire thread and massage into a spreadsheet to sort/tally if need be. but, it's not like we need to cross reference forums entirely, it'd just be nice to be able to tell a new recruit to search for "eastereggnog/whatever" to find some of the better answers to their (commonly recurring) question (cinemo's currently available ISP bandwidth/ethernet treatise pops into mind!).

i don't think most new members catch on to searching the forums for answers right off the bat, telling them the keyword or sending them to the website to the keyword/list/howto should be very helpful for recurring questions.

dunno, i'm jus'thinkin'in ASCII (rambling incoherently) again, suggestions from anybody would be appreciated.

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.