Lounge
 what is this?
Author Topic  
Squibix
Starting Member

45 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  08:21:03
What, may I ask, is this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2046824916 ?

The item description ('I got this from my uncle he had it for years I don't know what it's value is or if it works I'm out of work and need money .So for you apple collectors out there here is your chance on a great deal.') isn't particularly helpful, and the pitures tell me nothing. It looks kind of like a wooden Apple II...

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  08:31:49
i think you're right, it looks like it was tricked out to make gullible buyers think it's an Apple I.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  08:41:29
Hard to say. On the one hand, it could be one of the early Apple models that was sold in kit form (worth a great deal). On the other hand, it could be someone's case-replacement hack of a later Apple model (worth considerable less). (It wouldn't surprise me if the descendants of some of the members of the 68kMLA don't try to sell hacked 68ks as rare Apple antiques. Hmmm... does the "Antiques Roadshow" TV program ever feature vintage computer equipment???) The key is to delve into the lettering on the mobo, look at the fab dates on the chips, etc.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  09:12:21
quote:

Hard to say. On the one hand, it could be one of the early Apple models that was sold in kit form (worth a great deal). . .

The key is to delve into the lettering on the mobo, look at the fab dates on the chips, etc.

this one's an easy call, check the factory power supply and multiple slots against the Apple I (the collectible, mobo only kit) piccie in the link above. it's at least an Apple II recased . . . maybe it was a movie prop?

jt .

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  09:19:00
Well, I'd bet money (but not $127!- current bid) that it's just an Apple II+ or IIe in a funky home-brew case. I just wish there was some way to warn the hapless folks who think that they're about to get an Apple I!
Buyer beware, huh?
SpaceBoy

AppleBASIC FOREVER!
As of 4/8/02:
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PB 1400/133, "KayPro II"
PB 180/33, "Osbourne 1"
PMac 7100/G3-266, "DEC Rainbow" and "Altair 8800"
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
iMac Rev.A/333mHz, "Deep Blue"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  09:53:33
No kidding, It does not even look that good!

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 2 stars.
---------------------------
Servers: afp://* ftp://* hotline://*
"The Site"

*68kdisk.no-ip.comGo to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  06:59:08
quote:

i think you're right, it looks like it was tricked out to make gullible buyers think it's an Apple I.

What scares me is that I think some people believe it.

As I write this, the current bid is $501 from a person with 1200+ feedback and who, based on his current auctions, appears to deal in vintage Apple software/hardware.

<<<john>>>

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  07:24:45
quote:

quote:

What scares me is that I think some people believe it.

at $500+ i'm almost ready to email eBay about fraud, i have a sneaking suspicion this seller isn't even unemployed. this looks like the work of that mac prototyper who got his @$$ banned for blatant serial scumbaggereBayism. i wonder if email responses from the seller are in broken english. then again, maybe somebody that worked in that prototype factory got laid off and figured out a new twist.

the apple dealer either knows it's a prop from some production like POSV or figures he can resell it to a total retard at a good profit =8-/

gee, i wonder if it really could be an Apple I? :rolleyes:

jt .

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  08:32:35
quote:

quote:

Hard to say. On the one hand, it could be one of the early Apple models that was sold in kit form (worth a great deal). . .

The key is to delve into the lettering on the mobo, look at the fab dates on the chips, etc.

this one's an easy call, check the factory power supply and multiple slots against the Apple I (the collectible, mobo only kit) piccie in the link above. it's at least an Apple II recased . . . maybe it was a movie prop?

jt ?.
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

I guess I should have looked at jt's Apple I link before spouting off (Hey, but spouting is about all us coots are good for ).

Whether its fraud or not is hard to say. The piccies clearly show the ports, mobo slots, and factory power supply that make this NOT an Apple I (a true fraudster would not have provided such clear evidence of the actual model). Whether buyers need to be protected from their own stupidity or lack of due diligence is another matter (I guess that is what separates Republicans from Democrats). Besides, maybe the exuberant bidders just really really want an Apple II in a wooden case hack?!?

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  10:52:52
quote:

the apple dealer either knows it's a prop from some production like POSV or figures he can resell it to a total retard at a good profit =8-/

Well, after I posted this morning, I decided to drop a line to the high bidder to see if he knew something we didn't. I have his reply on my other computer, but basically he stated that he thought it resembled some kind of 10th anniversary commemorative Apple 1 that he had seen once.

FYI, he sounded interested in our little group, so I invited him to join us.

As for the seller, I'm not ready to claim fraud since he never really makes a claim as to what the item is. And if implying that an item is rare is a crime, then there would be a lot less ebay sellers.

<<<john>>>

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  11:12:56
quote:

As for the seller, I'm not ready to claim fraud since he never really makes a claim as to what the item is. And if implying that an item is rare is a crime, then there would be a lot less ebay sellers.

i'm not ready to cry foul either, but at times the copywriting on eBay is just a little too clever to dismiss quite that easily, IMHO. nothing makes this description stand out as deliberately fraudulent, but the superlative form of "rare" in the heading seems to be . . . just a teensy bit too close to that line, for my liking anyway.

as far as it being a commemorative or a notable prop, it might actually be a very good deal, who knows?

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 21 Aug 2002 13:26:20Go to Top of Page

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  12:49:51
quote:
at times the copywriting on eGay

Hope that was a typo and not intentional.

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  12:53:16
Definitely not an Apple I, but it is kinda nifty. Not $500+ nifty, certainly, but still keen. I'm not into the whole wood casing thing, though.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
I Have No Legs!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  13:28:42
quote:

quote:
at times the copywriting on eGay eBay .. .

Hope that was a typo and not intentional.

oops! sorry about that!

that was DEFINITELY a shifted row typo! as a mod, i just jumped all for somebody recently for an inappropriate comment. at times my self-proofreading leaves something to be desired (or a LOT, this time!) and my typing lately has become worse than ever.

thanks for pointing it out!

jt .

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  16:37:43
quote:

Definitely not an Apple I, but it is kinda nifty. Not $500+ nifty, certainly, but still keen. I'm not into the whole wood casing thing, though.

Well, it closed at $637 to what appears to be an Apple collector. (Ebay really should not let you be able to look at the item on a recent feedback- too easy to profile people. :-)

For the heck of it, I dropped him the same note to see what made it worth that much money. We'll see what response I get back.

<<<john>>>

Go to Top of Page

Squibix
Starting Member

45 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  18:51:51
quote:
For the heck of it, I dropped him the same note to see what made it worth that much money. We'll see what response I get back.

Cool, let us know what you hear; I'm still curious!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  18:55:00
quote:

quote:

Well, it closed at $637 to what appears to be an Apple collector. (Ebay really should not let you be able to look at the item on a recent feedback- too easy to profile people. :-)

Stan Veit's HISTORY OF THE PERSONAL COMPUTER for $4.95

ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!! hrmph! that does it!

whatever, if i didn't have most of the clippings i'd be SOOOOOO jealous!

i see what you mean about profiling!

jt .

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  09:02:32
quote:

i see what you mean about profiling!

It almost seems like a good justification for having multiple ebay accounts. :)

I'm actually surprised in this privacy-conscious Internet society that ebay even allows you to see the items bid on by anyone other than yourself. Heck, I'm not sure I want my wife to know what I bid on, let alone perfect strangers. (Thank goodness, it's just all computer stuff. :))

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.