All Forums
 Lounge
 A very interesting story about evil 'bots'
Author Topic  
Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  06:04:30
http://grc.com I seriously recommend that you check this site out. The article about GRC.COM defending their web servers against malicious attack by 'bots' and 'zombies' is well worth the read. http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm

They even have free tools to download

cheers
Flash!

68k ParaMedic

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  10:10:40
quote:
Yes. Fortunately — as we'll see below — the attacking machines were all security-compromised Windows-based PC's. In a fluke of laziness (or good judgement?) that has saved the Internet from untold levels of disaster, Microsoft's engineers never fully implemented the complete "Unix Sockets" specification in any of the previous version of Windows. (Windows 2000 has it.) As a consequence, Windows machines (compared to Unix machines) are blessedly limited in their ability to generate deliberately invalid Internet packets.

lol!
quote:
If the attacking machines had been running Windows
2000 or the home-targeted version of Windows XP, as
they certainly will be next year, we would have been
utterly defenseless and simply forced off the Internet.
This is what anyone on the Internet can soon expect.
lol

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 2 stars.
---------------------------
Servers: afp://* ftp://* hotline://*
"The Site"

*68kdisk.no-ip.comGo to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  13:34:02
Heavy gubbins indeed!

Viri fascinate me(computer & biological) , I read through the whole lot.

I do want a "firewall" but don't know how to go about it.

Corporate America is not so far removed from other ruling parties.

The Xing dynasty of China may have skeletons in it's closet & so does Corporate America.

America & the community that calls itself "scientists" really need to understand the following;

There is no right, there is no wrong,
There is only popular opinion.

If you are not helping me you are my enemy & I will fight against you.

We all need friends & just because America is the most powerfull superpower on the planet that does not mean that it wouldn't benefit from making a few friends.

as for the "laughability" of a 13 year old being handed a loaded gun well that is an American type of problem.

Are 68k's immune to this sort of thing?
I have been knocked offline, it used to happen when I used AOL on the pc & ppl would come in the chat room & just knock ppl offline for "a laugh"?????(I have a perplexed look upon my face)

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  14:10:42
quote:
Yes. Fortunately ? as we'll see below ? the attacking machines were all security-compromised Windows-based PC's. In a fluke of laziness (or good judgement?) that has saved the Internet from untold levels of disaster, Microsoft's engineers never fully implemented the complete "Unix Sockets" specification in any of the previous version of Windows. (Windows 2000 has it.) As a consequence, Windows machines (compared to Unix machines) are blessedly limited in their ability to generate deliberately invalid Internet packets.

Question is: does OS X fully implement the complete "Unix Sockets" specification???

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  14:33:22
I don't think it matters whether OS X implements them or not, seeing as how the apps do not exist. I dont *think* *nix variety virii would work either, but this is just my thought, very lil basis.

However, on a side note, My HTTP server has gotten several queries for the Trojan mentioned in the article, Sub7 i think? Just kinda weird thing.

I guess Microsoft just LOVE dem loopholes.

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline ServerGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  17:05:31
Mac OS X, being UNIX and all that, would be supseptible. However, it is only installed on a small portoin of online machines, WinXP machines are an easier target.
And if you read the article, you may think "How does the program get onto the Windows machines in the first place?"
Answer: Windows warez, and MS Outlook. :D

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  19:59:24
I guess Mac servers overall are less susceptable - mostly coz they cannot natively run .exe applications. However while the mac may not get infected, it can certainly pass viri on to other computers. At the end of the day I have no idea whether OSX is particularly secure against attacks of this kind - I wish I knew more about programming and networking. I hate to know that 13 year old kids (shall I say "script kiddie"? ) know sooooo much more than me.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  21:56:27
quote:

However while the mac may not get infected, it can certainly pass viri on to other computers.

Just to be pedantic - viri would be the plural of vir, which is man - so all my macs are passing men onto other computers...

mad!

Quadra 605 Obsessions
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  00:45:02
quote:
Just to be pedantic - viri would be the plural of vir, which is man - so all my macs are passing men onto other computers...

mad!

HAR!™ Actually, I think that for me its more the opposite, maniac.

But yeah. The other day i got an email with an attachment that had the W32.Magistr virus in it. God some people are stupid....(seeing as though my iMac is immune to Windohze viruses...this box is completely Mordor$oft free. )

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  00:54:47
Dang!(may I use the phrase?)

Dana is prostituting men?

lol
(((((((((((((((((dana)))))))))))))))))

u have 1 virus but many viri, in biological terms at least 5 years ago. I will look in my wifes medical dictionary.

I think computers yet again have created a new term ie: computer speak= 1 virus, 2 viruses.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  02:38:00
quote:

u have 1 virus but many viri, in biological terms at least 5 years ago. I will look in my wifes medical dictionary.

It's ended up such a bastardised term - a mix of latin, english, and pseudo-latin, that pretty much anyone uses anything, and we all know what each other means anyhows :). For pedantic purposes, there is no latin plural of virus - it's more akin to 'sheep' in english. Or, in latin, "vulgus" is the crowd, and virus is similar - it's already an attestation to plural. If you want to be REALLY pedantic, viri can also be used in latin to refer to a virus - but in the singular. one viri many virus. Which sounds kinda funny. so anyhows. you could have:

a) one virus many viri - if you throw an anglicised version of the us->i in latin - which doesn't apply all the time. It's like "i before e except after c" which is a basic rule meant to help kindergarteners learn -most- words, but misses out on quite a lot. It never applied to 'virus' in latin, it applied to 'vir'

b) one viri many virus - which is a rarely used latin form.

c) one virus many virii - which is kinda like a), but would be the guesstimated plural of virius which doesn't exist. Virius might have been a roman army duder though - I'm not sure. Anyhows, he wasn't multiple :).

d) one virus many virus - as in one sheep many sheep, - sort of :). the singular pronounced "vire-us" and the plural pronounced "vire-oos" ...

e) one virus many virora - as in corpus->corpora, but thats blindly applying a latin rule to the word 'virus' that was never applied to 'virus' in latin much like a) same with virus->virorum

f) one virus, many viruses - we speak english, we may as well anglicise a latin word with english rules, rather than bastardise different latin rules to apply it to a genuine latin word (as it was never used in latin) to create an english word.

dana (I read it somewhere!)

Quadra 605 Obsessions
Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  06:25:51
"....it's more akin to 'sheep' in english...."

Me? Latin? I've got no idea - it's all Greek to me I was working on the principle that....
octopus => octopi
hippopotomos => hippopotomi
therefore...
virus => viri
and...
sheep => sheeps

heh, well anyway I off to look in the dictionary to see exactly how hippotomos is really spelt

my english are awful

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  06:46:36
quote:

"....it's more akin to 'sheep' in english...."

Me? Latin? I've got no idea - it's all Greek to me I was working on the principle that....
octopus => octopi
hippopotomos => hippopotomi
therefore...
virus => viri
and...
sheep => sheeps

Weelllll speaking of all greek, Octopus is derived from greek and the plural wouldn't be a latinised plural - Octopus is derived from "Oktopous" being eight-foot, and the greek plural would be Octopodes (eight foots. feets! eeeeeeeeeeeeeek!)... if thats what were used, which is kinda cool all the same but... octopuses it is.

...and hippopotamus is a greek 'un too, but I dunno about pluralising the river end of it for a technically right greek spelling there :D

For what it's worth, I had a pedantic maths teacher with a pet hatred of adding latin plurals to *us non-latin words, and would often ramble on with a lot of greek/latin/german etymological guff instead of doing mathematics. That was half the fun of his classes!

dana (pet hating tommorow, definately and wierd)

Quadra 605 Obsessions
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  07:07:08
. . . erm . . . are you folks getting enough sleep down there?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  07:27:18
Hey, I snagged Official Night Owl #68,000 by staying up until 2 AM...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  11:51:18
Last night I was doing some work and I was up until 4:30AM but usually I go to sleep at 10PM.

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 2 stars.
---------------------------
Servers: afp://* ftp://* hotline://*
"The Site"

*68kdisk.no-ip.com

Edited by - catsdorule on 21 Aug 2002 11:52:01Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  14:17:46
quote:

. . . erm . . . are you folks getting enough sleep down there?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Well i get to bed by 10:30, which is late enough for me...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.