General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 68k-using Customers
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 07 Dec 2001 :  17:06:41
So I was on a call with this older guy from Ohio who's trying to become a Worldnet customer, only he's using a 486 with Win95 and can't install the software. I explain to him that he has to have at least a 90MHz Pentium 1 to install our software, and that we no longer stcok nor support older versions that would have worked with a 486. He says that he has a nifty IBM Dual Pentium 233 MHz that that he hasn't powered up in years, so he'll just use that instead.

He then tells me that the 486 box he's on is a Dell, and how he'll never in his life buy another Dell product again. He then asks me if I've seen the Dell commercial with Steve the dumb-boy. "You're getting a Dell!" he mocks, in a whiney voice. He then tells me he wants to drag that kid out to his backyard and beat him to a lifeless pulp with baseball bat. I start laughing hysterically and tell him he's not the first person to tell me that.

Getting to the meat of the call, he then asked me if we supported older macs. Turns out he has a Mac II upgraded to IIfx speeds with a 40 MHz 030 running 7.5.5! This guy was getting cooler and cooler! Unfortunately I tell him our software only works with 8.1 and newer, so that sucked for him. But still, he was the coolest caller I've had in a long time. And, it just goes to show that there are plenty of die-hard 68k users out there.

(P.S. - Forgive the dual post from MAF Unplugged, but I felt I had to share this here, too)

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 4

amanda00

USA
71 Posts
Posted - 07 Dec 2001 :  19:46:22
i love those commercials for dell. they're funny.

you're from Ohio? i'm from pennsylvania. we're neighbors!

peace out,
<3 AMANDA <3Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 07 Dec 2001 :  20:07:43
I'm not from Ohio, the caller was. I'm out in L.A. And uh...I wouldn't mention that you actually like the Steve the Dell Kid commercials around these parts...well, not if you valure your sanity, anyway.

666th poster to the

Total 68K Macs liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

Mike

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 06 Jan 2002 :  01:07:47
quote:
Getting to the meat of the call, he then asked me if we supported older macs. Turns out he has a Mac II upgraded to IIfx speeds with a 40 MHz 030 running 7.5.5! This guy was getting cooler and cooler! Unfortunately I tell him our software only works with 8.1 and newer, so that sucked for him. But still, he was the coolest caller I've had in a long time. And, it just goes to show that there are plenty of die-hard 68k users out there.

Do you mean AT&T Worldnet? That's a PPP service. They can just use PPP. That's how I did it on a LC III.

======================
Quadra 610, LC III+, Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

MacScuzzy

USA
119 Posts
Posted - 06 Jan 2002 :  19:41:26
quote:
etting to the meat of the call, he then asked me if we supported older macs. Turns out he has a Mac II upgraded to IIfx speeds with a 40 MHz 030 running 7.5.5! This guy was getting cooler and cooler! Unfortunately I tell him our software only works with 8.1 and newer, so that sucked for him. But still, he was the coolest caller I've had in a long time. And, it just goes to show that there are plenty of die-hard 68k users out there.

*gasp* But he could've downloaded born-again, allowing him to run 8 on his Iifx! Noooooo!

Well, probably not, that's kinda tricky.

-------------
Spring has sprung, fall has fell, winters here and it's colder then usual.

Brigadier MacScuzzy
68K Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68K Macs liberated:5Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 07 Jan 2002 :  12:48:24
Yeah, AT&T WorldNet, that's who I work for. Sure, he could've used PPP and not installed our software, but we don't support it. And besides, I'm only supposed to tech PC calls, anyway. I didn't feel like transferring him to the Mac department just to have them tell him they won't help him. Or, yes, he could've installed Born again and 0S 8.1, but of course we wouldn't support that either.

666th poster to the

Total 68K Macs liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 07 Jan 2002 :  20:21:07
Call me nosey, but why don't you work in the Mac section?

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 07 Jan 2002 :  22:41:58
Well, that's a good question! I'd love to work for the Mac department, only that would require I move to Winnipeg. Call me crazy, but I've become rather adjusted to the SoCal climate.

666th poster to the

Total 68K Macs liberated: 5
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.