All Forums
 General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 68k scene in NYC?
Author Topic  
Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 07 Dec 2001 :  12:58:59
Anyone here from Brooklyn/NYC? Is there a place (a thrift shop, Apple Authorized Dealer, etc.) in New York where I can find old macs? (I think I saw some compact macs in Tekserve in Manhatten, but I assumed they were in for repairs/parts and didn't ask if they were for sale.)

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 07 Dec 2001 :  13:43:12
I'm on Long Island, but I don't know any places in Brooklyn for old Macs. On Long Island there are:

B&C Communications - Macintosh Computer Repairs, and they have a lot of 68K Computers for sale.

Salvation Army Thrift Store - Occasionally find some there, including a Mac 128K I saw last week.

[edit: Oops... B&C is in Huntington Station, not Haupaugge
------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs Liberated

Edited by - Captain Z on 07 Dec 2001 16:49:09Go to Top of Page

Private Entrance
Starting Member

17 Posts
Posted - 09 Dec 2001 :  07:54:31
Yo, I'm from Brooklyn, yo!

Every once in a while, I see an old Mac at the Salvation Army places. I've seen them at the one on 5th Ave and 13th Street, and at the one on Flatbush Avenue at Bergen. Usually they want too much money for them, not realizing that the resale value on an LCII is $0, they usually are asking $50 - $150 for things up to the early PPC Macs. And my wife won't let me buy them at these outrageous prices... In fact, she want's me to get rid of all my old Macs. Boo-Hoo!

I would boldly walk into Tekserve and state your intentions to liberate those old mini-Macs that they use as table legs. Actually, that wasn't them, was it? I haven't been into Tekserve in a very long time. There was another place though, Lizard something-or-other, uptown on the west side that was using Mac Plus' and SEs (Mini-Macs) as supports for a sheet of plywood to make a table...

Private Entrance
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 11 Dec 2001 :  18:47:27
If my memory serves me correctly, I could swear that I once saw a Powerbook 190 in the display window of one of those little tech shops on 5th Avenue in Manhattan (you know, one of those little places that sells cameras, video games, and old [always PC] laptops).

Go to Top of Page

Private Entrance
Starting Member

17 Posts
Posted - 18 Dec 2001 :  14:17:59
quote:

If my memory serves me correctly, I could swear that I once saw a Powerbook 190 in the display window of one of those little tech shops on 5th Avenue in Manhattan (you know, one of those little places that sells cameras, video games, and old [always PC] laptops).

You did. I stopped in there once about two years ago, and they wanted new list price for it still!

There's another place next to Grand Central Station, on Lexington Ave that wants $1800 for the Rev. A Tangerine iBook!

Private Entrance
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.