Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 68k Peripherals
 Needed: Syquest Drivers
Author Topic  
gdogkzo

147 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2002 :  20:31:36
I got some syquest drives i would like to hook up to my mac plus. Driverzone.com has a 020 version, but I need a 68000 version. Anyone know where it is or have it? Also, I got a great haul:

6.8 La Cie Limited External Hard Disk
24x La Cie Limited External CD-Drive
2 88MB C Syquest Drives (Mac Warehouse)
200MB C Syquest Drive
3x Mac Warehouse Cd Drive

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 17 Aug 2002 :  12:26:47
http://www.macdrivermuseum.com/disk.html

Knock yourself out. It says that the drivers work with 44 meg drives, and possibly 88 meg drives. Give it a shot. That is a nice haul!

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }

Edited by - candypunk on 17 Aug 2002 12:27:47Go to Top of Page

gdogkzo

147 Posts
Posted - 17 Aug 2002 :  14:21:13
No go. Its a Power User, and it didnt show up :(

Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 18 Aug 2002 :  07:18:21
Sometimes getting a removable to appear on the desktop is a bit of a challenge (even if you have all the original manufacturers drivers, etc.). Trick one is to turn on the removable drive well before turning on the Mac. That way when the Mac or or the driver scans the SCSI bus at start-up, it finds the removable. Trick two is to make sure that "Mount at Start-up" is selected in any control panel associated with the drive. Trick three is to use any sort of drive utility program to see if it can "find" the drive and mount it. I have found that even Apple's own basic "Drive Setup" app can sometimes get a recalcitrant drive to wake up, mount up, and show up. Oh, and trick zero is to put media in the drive, but I am sure that you know that. Although some disk utilities will tell you that an empty drive is on the SCSI bus, the drive will not appear on the desktop without media in the drive.

Good luck,

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Aug 2002 :  09:38:00
didn't syquest drives use the SCSIProbe extension for remounting? have you got that and SCSIProbe installed? dunno, never had one but that tidbit shook itself loose from the cobwebs for some reason or other . . .

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 18 Aug 2002 :  10:21:34
Also, make sure it's terminated...my old Iomega Bernouli drive would NEVER mount when we needed it until we got a terminator. That only made it so much better, but it certainly helped

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 18 Aug 2002 :  10:26:29
quote:
Oh, and trick zero is to put media in the drive, but I am sure that you know that.

To clarify: Try putting the media in the drive before you boot the Mac. It works for Zip drives; it might work for a Syquest.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 18 Aug 2002 :  19:18:10
quote:

To clarify: Try putting the media in the drive before you boot the Mac. It works for Zip drives; it might work for a Syquest.

It does indeed work. That's how I use it. Once you get to the desktop you can eject disks and put new ones in without a hitch. I have a 200 drive, and the 44 meg cartridges for some reason won't be seen at start up, just the 200 meg ones. It may just be my drive or disks or something.... dunno

akshaysardessai
Starting Member

India
9 Posts
Posted - 29 Aug 2002 :  02:24:02
The earlier SyQuest cartridges cannot be used as startup disks from a cold start; as such they will not mount at system startup. Try the SyQuest website http://www.syquest.com for drivers.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.