Balloon Help
 Locked Hard Disk?
Author Topic  
NAG
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts
Posted - 06 Dec 2001 :  16:32:23
I have been fixing up a computer lab filled with 68k macs. Unfortunately one LC 575 needs help. It won't let me dismount the internal Apple hard drive when I have started up off an external SCSI. I also has problems starting up with a SCSI disk attached to it. Before I got my hands on this computer it did have some software called FoolProof, or lovingly called Foolish. It basically locks down your Mac, not letting you do anything besides go to websites. It is uninstalled now but may be the cause of the problem.

Thanks.

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 06 Dec 2001 :  17:04:59
So you are able to boot from an external drive, right? Have you tried just initializing it with Drive Setup? Before doing anything make sure AppleTalk is turned off, BTW. You can also try switching the drives, if it's convenient. In other words, take the internal drive out and put in the external case vice versa, that may give you a better chance of wiping it clean with DS.

Lieutenant EL CINE, 666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Master of the Mac II series forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

NAG
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts
Posted - 06 Dec 2001 :  17:35:17
I have wiped the drive with Drive Setup many times. Yes, I can startup off of an external SCSI. I am not sure how to hook the drive up externally. The computer has the weird sled thing attached to the drive with a long flat connector. Can the sled thing come off?

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 07 Dec 2001 :  16:12:49
Wait a minute, I don't think I understand what the problem is anymore... are you trying to replace the internal hard drive with a different one? The sled can be removed, it should have four screws on the side.

666th poster to the

Mod of the Mac II series Forums

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 07 Dec 2001 :  17:02:16
Not that program again!

I have delt with FoolProof numerous times. It is a pain in the ass to get working right, and even worse to uninstall. The configuration you are describing has various problems:

- If you start up off an external drive, the internal drive (the one with FoolProof) locks down, and can't be reformatted.

- If you start up off the drive with FoolProof, Drive Setup is probably a locked program, thus, you can' reformat.

The only way to get rid of it is to run the unisntaller program on the FoolProof installation disk, or if you can get ahold of it, the Applescript utility Foolish, can disable it so you can reformat it. Foolproof hides files in the startup directory block, that regardless of reformatting, can't be removed without the application being unlocked.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 07 Dec 2001 :  17:11:42
I think old 'Z gets this one. I think I'm glad that I've never run into a drive with that app installed!

666th poster to the

NAG
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts
Posted - 07 Dec 2001 :  18:02:43
Tell me where to get it. Plleeeeaaaassseeee. One of my friends used to have the script. But they don't have it anymore.

Thanks.

Ugabugahbugahbugah!Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 07 Dec 2001 :  19:02:46
Only place I knew where Foolish was is Freak's Mac Archive, but he no longer has it on archive. Alas, you may be stuck...

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 07 Dec 2001 :  20:22:10
How big is the drive? If it's less than 500MB, I'd say backup whatever you can to the external drive and toss it. You can get 500MB-1GB drives off eBay for peanuts.

666th poster to the

sosumi
not the MAF mod

USA
129 Posts
Posted - 08 Dec 2001 :  00:43:44
download FoolProof demo here

sosumi
68k macs liberated:3Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 08 Dec 2001 :  05:52:28
I had no luck doing a google search...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

MacScuzzy

USA
119 Posts
Posted - 12 Dec 2001 :  19:42:20
FoolProof sucks BIG TIME! Ugh! Here's a kinda silly trick if you don't want anything from that drive: Get a really big magnet and set it on top of the drive for awhile, if that doesn't wipe it clean, I don't know what will.

-------------
Spring has sprung, fall has fell, winters here and it's colder then usual.

Brigadier MacScuzzy
Total 68K Macs liberated:5Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 14 Dec 2001 :  06:19:42
Here's an idea: change the SCSI IDs and swap the drives so that the computer is forced to load the system of the external (now internal) HD.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

NAG
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts
Posted - 17 Dec 2001 :  16:13:02
I have basically given up. I might get around to trying out the suggestions though.

Thanks.

Ugabugahbugahbugah!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.