All Forums
 Balloon Help
 tvonav
Author Topic  
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2002 :  01:54:16
I currently have my video recorder attatched to my Quadra840av.

The areial cable is stretched accross a whole bedroom & my 840av is near the door of the "computer room"

I tried using apple video player, I got some snow at one point & a patch of red/green another time. but I am not getting a tv picture through.

my video recorder has a scart out & is connected to my 840av via the video rca port.

I'm unsure as to y it isn't working.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2002 :  03:50:30
I'll apologise in advance if any of these suggestions insult your intelligence

connect the video OUT from the vcr to the video IN of the mac (I only say this coz it's suprising how many people connect output to output - matching the labels!) in any case, check your cables. If they're connected right then maybe it's faulty?

is the vcr tuned in? maybe just try playing a known good video so that you *know* a decent signal is coming out of the player.

in Apple Video Player, open Preferences (under the Setup menu) and select the correct Input Standard - NTSC for the USA, and PAL for the rest of the world.

cheers
Flash!

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2002 :  04:12:10
quote:

I'll apologise in advance if any of these suggestions insult your intelligence

connect the video OUT from the vcr to the video IN of the mac (I only say this coz it's suprising how many people connect output to output - matching the labels!) in any case, check your cables. If they're connected right then maybe it's faulty?

is the vcr tuned in? maybe just try playing a known good video so that you *know* a decent signal is coming out of the player.

in Apple Video Player, open Preferences (under the Setup menu) and select the correct Input Standard - NTSC for the USA, and PAL for the rest of the world.

cheers
Flash!

68k ParaMedic

Speaking of this about 2 years ago in shops class i noted that my shops computer had video in and that I could connect the vcr next to it to the comp so the next week when I came back i connected the cabled and watched speed with a bunch of my classmates

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 2 stars.
---------------------------
Servers:
afp://68kdisk.no-ip.com l/p 68kmla/68000
hotline://68kdisk.no-ip.com
ftp://68kdisk.no-ip.com
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2002 :  08:24:34
not enough info or you need to translate it for me, shak!

is your vcr using the same encoding scheme, eg. NTSC, PAL, whatever?

i don't understand the term "scart" and you should check the manuals about what format of video the (RCA) composite and/or S-Video in connectors on the 840av are expecting to see. i think the 630 Video-in woirs with BBC type video, but i don't know about the 840av.

cinemo seems to be AWOL, so i'd suggest emailing SVP(irate). i don't remember seeing any posts of his lately and he's on your side of the pond!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2002 :  08:28:03
It's ok I kinda knew it would be somthing obvious, & I now apologise for using these forums to aid my thought processes.

I had the out cable connected(at least I think it was the out)& a swap of cables rectified the problem.

it can be confusing cos although the cables are labled how do you know that out means out from the video or ready to take a signal out of the computer?

cheers for the reply

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2002 :  08:31:30
I tested the player by watching a "heartbreak high" video. if anyone wants a snippet let me know!

shaktiman

3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2002 :  17:25:38
quote:

it can be confusing cos although the cables are labled how do you know that out means out from the video or ready to take a signal out of the computer?

RCA jacks are labelled corresponding to the device that they're on. In and Out refer to video going in or out of the VCR/TV/DVD/computer/whatever.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2002 :  18:05:32
If you hook things up just right, you can create funky video feedback. On my contraband Powermac 8575G3 I've routed video-out of the Mac to the video-in on the TV (which I use as the monitor for that Mac) and then I routed a video-out from the TV back into the video-in of the Mac. When I run the Apple Video Recorder on the smaller-window settings, I get these fun recursive fractal images (the mac's desktop appears in the small window of the video app with an image of the mac's desktop in an even smaller window inside the window of the video app with ....... And if I run the video app at full screen, I get these strange diagonal flowing feedback artifacts.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 15 Aug 2002 :  01:08:31
Video feedback is not a good thing (which is a pity coz you can get some cool effects) - you run the risk of overloading and blowing the video circuitry (especiallly with domestic or pro-sumer equipment) Likewise getting your IN's and OUT's back to front can also cause grief. OK so it's not going to happen every time, I guess it's like hot swapping SCSI or ADB devices. It's not always fatal, but....

cheers
Flash

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.