bashed 180
Author Topic  
iscamac
Starting Member

7 Posts
Posted - 11 Aug 2002 :  14:34:25
Hi
Good news .. liberated two powerbooks from depths of university
Bad news .. one has been very badly bashed. Its a 180c cracked casing around the hinge of lid. Powers on chime screen lights up and flickers and flickers and nothing else. Once it did start up and run ok though. Any ideas as to what is not connecting?
Thanks
Cheers
Iscamac
4 LC3 Duo280c Classic mac and now .. 170 and 180c!!

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 11 Aug 2002 :  19:33:25
Sounds like video is partially gone - ie. the backlight is lit, but no video signal gets shown. Could be the LCD? Hopefully, it's just the cable or something.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Aug 2002 :  23:53:36
quote:

Sounds like video is partially gone - ie. the backlight is lit, but no video signal gets shown. Could be the LCD? Hopefully, it's just the cable or something.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0

It could just be the cable. I remember when i first got my 145B, it would start up and run fine, but the screen was all white, no matter what i did. Popped off the display bezel, and saw the display cable was torn. Found a new one a few months later, and now i have a damn sweet PowerBook, and all is peachy again.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

iscamac
Starting Member

7 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  00:39:54
Hi
Thanks for those ideas. I've been away and have only just read them.
Checked cable seems ok. I should have said that nothing equals nothing no hard drive zilch! Just a flickery screen after the chime. Maybe hard drive is dead .. but I don't get why it has managed one start up.
Cheers
Iscamac

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  01:02:22
quote:

Hi
Thanks for those ideas. I've been away and have only just read them.
Checked cable seems ok. I should have said that nothing equals nothing no hard drive zilch! Just a flickery screen after the chime. Maybe hard drive is dead .. but I don't get why it has managed one start up.
Cheers
Iscamac

Hey...wow...what a coincidence!

A few days ago i hauled out my dead 180c to see how it was going. It has the flickery video too. Then i ripped 'er apart and found the culprit was a torn display cable.

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

iscamac
Starting Member

7 Posts
Posted - 24 Aug 2002 :  16:24:09
Hi
Update time
Followed the cable idea and took as much apart as would easily come .. nothing broken .. fixed it back again and .. it worked. Only lost the picture if the lid moved or i pressed the corner by the battery! I've now glued the broken case and it all seems fine. I think that the crack in the casing was messing with the video connection.
Thanks for the help.
Cheers
Iscamac
Liberated 150 to come next
Hey .. just thought is there anyone in UK who has / knows where there are any powerbooks gathering dust that I could borrow for some school research. I'm exploring what impact on creativity in writing laptops have for 5-7 year olds. I've located 4 so far ...

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.