All Forums
 PowerBook
 Powerbookduo280c
Author Topic  
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 10 Aug 2002 :  15:10:37
I really have my heart set on this machine.

If I buy one with an internal modem, could I upgrade this modem so instead of the obligatory 14400 say a 56k?

or would I be best advised to remove the modem(cut down on wieght) & use my external 56k?

I want the powerbook duo to take on holiday with me so as to access the internet away from home.

I would certainly invest in the duodock & at home use the duo, networked I SAY networked to my Quadra.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 Aug 2002 :  19:58:29
the internal modem is a 14.4 only POS! it's a PITA to have one installed and try to use an external modem (2300c experience, no 280 experience, and it could have all been america offline's fault for all i know, btw!) the internal weighs next to nothing and it's great to have one installed for faxes and emergency dialup tho!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

mattminserlg15

70 Posts
Posted - 11 Aug 2002 :  15:27:17
The 280 will be abeit slow for internet away from home. The 68lc040 feel extremly slower than say the 40mhz 68040 in an 840av. If you are going to do any serious browsing away from home, I 540c with a card cage and a 56k modem, or a ppc laptop are your best bets.

Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 11 Aug 2002 :  15:48:23
I, too, suggest a full 040 or PPC laptop. Either the 540c or the 1400c. I have a PowerBook 5300, and since it does not support a L2 cache, it runs really slowly. My 6100 with a 256k cache feels faster.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2002 :  07:16:08
quote:

I, too, suggest a full 040 or PPC laptop. Either the 540c or the 1400c. I have a PowerBook 5300, and since it does not support a L2 cache, it runs really slowly. My 6100 with a 256k cache feels faster.

A minor note- the 540c is not a full 040 either. IIRC, the only full 040 PowerBook produced by Apple was the Japan-only 550c.

As for cache in a PPC 'book. You're looking at a minimum of a 1400/133. (No cache in the 5300s or in the 1400/117.)

Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2002 :  07:26:00
quote:

I really have my heart set on this machine.

Nice 'Book.
quote:

If I buy one with an internal modem, could I upgrade this modem so instead of the obligatory 14400 say a 56k?

No. The only internal options are the 14.4 and a 19.2 (which I think was stock in the 2300c).
quote:

or would I be best advised to remove the modem(cut down on wieght) & use my external 56k?

No real weight advantage since you'd still have to replace it with a "power" board (blank board with nothing but power and reset switches on it), unless you also wanted to do the internal ADB hack. No reason to not use the external 56K , though.
quote:

I want the powerbook duo to take on holiday with me so as to access the internet away from home.

Others have commented on the speed of the 14.4 modem, I'll state my usual comment that speed is relative. For mail, it should be more than enough (unless you've got someone sending you huge attachments). As for surfing- obviously the Duo is approx. 20% slower than the 840av, but I think the real test is the intensity of the sites you visit and the speed of your actual browser (rendering speed and method affect the perception of internet speed).
quote:

I would certainly invest in the duodock & at home use the duo, networked I SAY networked to my Quadra.

Then, personally, I'd go for it... just know what you are getting into.

<<<John>>>

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2002 :  14:32:02
I wanted a 540c origionally, but changed my mind to the duo 280c.

The duo is lighter if I remember correctly & when @ home with the duodock it would be comparable to power with my Quadra.

With the dock I think it has more expansion capabilities(ports & innards) than a 540c.

@ the end of the day I want to have my cake & eat it.

I don't need a top spec with me on holiday, just for checking email, these forums & perhaps ebay.

A few tricks for low-end browsing could be to try text only web browsing, dont automatically check for updates, just use the cache(but reload I think may get the updated page downloaded if needed)., & the obligatory cutting down of control panels.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

mattminserlg15

70 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2002 :  16:56:57
Well shakti, for one, the duo docks were really designed for the 030' series books (210, 230, 250, 270) and not really for the 280 or 2300 series. WHen in a dock, the 280 will feel even slower than out of it. Besides the fact that out of the dock, the 280 will feel considerably slower than your 840...

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2002 :  17:38:46
quote:

Well shakti, for one, the duo docks were really designed for the 030' series books (210, 230, 250, 270) and not really for the 280 or 2300 series. WHen in a dock, the 280 will feel even slower than out of it. Besides the fact that out of the dock, the 280 will feel considerably slower than your 840...

not true at all in my experience with the 2300c, as a matter of fact it feelsfaster in the dock because i can run it at higher resolutions and with a decent accelerated video card it probably is a little faster in the dock than outside it.

the dock plus was specifically introduced for the 280/280c/2300c and dropped the copro which had been added as a standard feature in the Dock II, but was useless on the later Duos. it's true that the interface is bridged down to the level of a slow 030 PDS, but it's still faster than NuBus which works very well in the Docks.

a 280c will certainly feel slower than a well setup desktop system, even at the same clock speed because of cache, disk speed, copro, RAM and video limitations, but for anything except hard core number crunching, graphics or web browsing (or running mordorsoft apps!) the differences won't be all that bothersome, more like somewhere between a Quadra 700 and 800 without a copro, from what i remember of the performance graphs and a friend's machine.

i went from 230 to 2300c tho, so i don't have much time on a 280 except for using a friends a few times. but even today, no portable can yet fully replace a desktop system, there's still a lot of compromise involved in going portable.

IMHO, of course!

jt .

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2002 :  01:33:37
I agree in the comprimise by going portable.

The Powerbook Duo 280c with DuoDock II seems to me to offer the best "all round" solution.

I am not expecting a 280c to be as good as my Quadra, but better then my Performa 400.

I like buying add ons so the Quadra 840av keeps me happy & the duo would do the same I think.

now, about performance, I went to CCC the other week(a computer club which likes Atari's) & was talking to someone who had a Falcon 030(he'll be upgrading to 060!). we talked about internet access & I said that I'm with Powergen & from the information they gave me I would be able to connect via an Atari or most other computers. He said " well thats ok if you know what your doing", all through the evening he was badgering other members who had to babysit him to make minor adjustments, through .inf files(using a text editor) & other "basic" file operations.

my point is this "what the hell was he doing using an Atari if he wasn't willing to learn & to find out "what to do"?

If you use Atari you are going to have to use your innitiative.

If you use 68k mac it is a similar situation.

What do we want from our macs?

I have no problem opening an inf/configuration file in a text editor & changing say the filepath from drive c to drive d. Minor adjustments done this way are:-

A) quick
B) you know what has been done(unlike windows doing bizzarre things without asking)(also mac does it)
C) no special knowledge needed, oh sorry you need to know how to type!

This is about performance, heaven help anyone here who dosn't "know what there doing"

If you want Performance I suggest you get your hands dirty & delve into your computer.

I cant stand not knowing,

& now, how can anyone think that having icons is better that having file extentions?

I am not a ten year old kid who needs to see pictures when using his computer, I can read! I enjoy reading, I hate esoteric pictures, it is going to take me a very, very, very, very long time to adjust to this, it just feels so unnatural.

I dont get it.

I love my Quadra but have traded freedom for practicality.(my mac works, albeit after a fashion & "in it's own way")

shaktiman

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2002 :  07:28:16
quote:

& now, how can anyone think that having icons is better that having file extentions?

I am not a ten year old kid who needs to see pictures when using his computer, I can read! I enjoy reading, I hate esoteric pictures, it is going to take me a very, very, very, very long time to adjust to this, it just feels so unnatural.

I dont get it.

You have me at a loss with your meaning. Windows also uses icons on it's desktop and in Mac OS you can change the display from icon to list in the view menu for everything else. I've done that with every Mac I've owned from the SE/30 to my G3. I also saw in that other thred where you mentioned this a complaint about not being able to use extentions at the end of the file name to change it. The thing is, you can. If you use Stufft Delux, you can even make an archive file without having do anything more than adding on the .sit, .sea type extentions. The functionality is all there, it's just cleaner looking than Gates immitation of it.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2002 :  08:25:28
I use the list option too, but they are still little icons & no extension at the end. I just like to know that a pic file is a pic file & open it up in one of any number of programs.

I am new to mac & really do need at the moment to sort out the software side, but my drives are just a big mess. I find file management so difficult, you want to move files but how can you do it?, well I found out that you drag a folder/file to where you want it to go. I do this & me spring loaded file opens as a new window at which point I release the mouse button......... but it has then had another folder underneath which has also opened & now my 15 files take 3 minutes to go into the wrong directory.

I always considered the "right click" one of the few saving graces of the pc.

I struggle to recognise filetypes & to move files to another directory.

cheers for replying.

shaktiman

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2002 :  10:47:24
quote:

I always considered the "right click" one of the few saving graces of the pc.

I struggle to recognise filetypes & to move files to another directory.

yup! control clicking is an ifreakin'credibly stooooooooopid user interface compromise! but in netscape, just hold the mouse button down long enough and it'll pop up, that way it's only so slow that it's a reasonably stupid implementation and not toooooo bad a compromise!

i'm with you 100% on the utility of extensions, the joys of wildcards seem unknown on the mac also! there must be a way to do it, but i haven't run across it yet. most mac users just get crosseyed and drool on themselves when i try to explain it to the ones that are sharp enough not to launch into an anti-wintel tirade at the mere mention of those two terms. all Operatinng Systems suck, bet every one i've ever used had features head and shoulders above all the others, INCLUDING MS-DOS!

just put .something_or_other after each new filename when you type them! all my clarisworks files are .cwk if they're not .ss.cwk or .wp.cwk!

.cwk = ClarisWorks
.fog = Fontographer Database Files
.ai8 = Illustrator 8
.eps3= Illustrator exported for plotfile conversion
.flx = FlexiSign
.cut = Vector format plotterfiles
.TXT = (guess!)

lately i've been datecoding files as .081302.2.ai8 so that i can tell a file is the second incremental save of an Illustrator 8 file revision done today with text annotations in every file listing the related files for the job/account.

combined with sherlock, i can nail which is the latest rev of a long list of files or return to a rev and tell where the pricing was at any given date for any of 40 parking garages that my largest customer operates. i've got more info on the history of his pricing structures in a handier format in my graphics files than his computerized cash register/database vendor has in his computerws and i can put my finger on it faster for anything that he does have on his systems!

the Mac might not know how to handle extensions or allow any flexibility in date tagging files, but the human brain can handle those shortcomings just fine!

make the Mac work for you, don't let it enslave you to the one button command key deprived vision that was half-@$$ed from day one, hack the sucker!

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 13 Aug 2002 10:51:09Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2002 :  10:50:26
To make life easier for time being, you may want to go into the preferences, in the Edit menu, and turn off the spring-loaded folders feature.

If it's a matter of sorting by file type, when you have your views set to "By Name", you can highlight the header that you want to sort by. In this case, you'd highlight "Kind", so the list would put all the same types of files together. I use Date Modified and Version quite a bit so I can sort out newer and older software.

As for the "right click", alot of Mac applications have the feature by using the commmand-click, (pressing the open apple key and clicking the mouse). Of course there's also your Alt (Option)-click and control click. If that's still too much of a pain though, you can always buy a third-party mouse that has multiple buttons. The one-button mouse is just supposed to keep it simpler since most apps don't really need it and keeps you from hitting the wrong button by mistake.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"Go to Top of Page

Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  22:53:53
Re: the Duo 280C

I have a 2300C and 2 Duo Docks (a Dock II and Dock Plus) for home and work. Its a great laptop/desktop arrangement EXCEPT for the keyboard. The keys can be stiff and sticky (and this is with a Rev. F keyboard). I like the light weight and small sharp screen. I often use an external keyboard to get around this problem but it means carrying around a microdock.

If you get a Duo make sure that you try the keyboard first or be prepared to look for a replacement keyboard.

Go to Top of Page

idoru
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  13:40:29
I hope someone can help-
I've got a 280c w/ a Mercury 19.2 modem and use Earthlink as my ISP. I installed the Earthlink online kit from floppies. I keep getting an error stating "Port already in Use". I have tried EVERY combo I can think of, it still says "Initializing modem" then goes to "Port already..." then an error message "Try turning modem off/on, check your port settings..." I used to use it and it worked fine. Any ideas? Has the modem given up the ghost? HELP

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  13:47:55
turn the modem software off in the control panel, so the ISP's software can take over.

you might need to turn Appletalk off.

you might need to get a Serial Port clearing utility (can't think of one right now)

do you have a 19.2 INTERNAL??????

you definitely need to get an external for decent speed.

good luck!

jt .

idoru
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  13:55:42
quote:

turn the modem software off in the control panel, so the ISP's software can take over.

you might need to turn Appletalk off.

you might need to get a Serial Port clearing utility (can't think of one right now)

do you have a 19.2 INTERNAL??????

you definitely need to get an external for decent speed.

good luck!

jt .

Thanks- I'll try this. I'm really perplexed because it used to work. Yes it has a 19.2 internal- I just want to check e-mail, I have a 2300c and a G3 as well, I use the G3 for surfing. I just installed it on the 2300c and it worked fine, I'll check out the settings on the 2300c (but I left it at work) and copy those settings...

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 03 Sep 2002 :  04:34:52
Cheers JT

I have just gotten my head around to self typing extensions myself but never considered self dating!

lol

I agree that each os has pro's & con's.

I try hard but "control clicking" is veeeeeeeerrrrrrrrry unnatural to me.

I allways list by kind(usually known to me as type)

spring loaded off, I will try it.

will it happen like this, I double click a folder and it opens a new window whcich has icons? or can I make it use 1 window for browsing?

I do have a 2 button mouse & netscape at least utilises the second button.

myself 1 button is not enough 3 buttons to much.

shaktiman

mattminserlg15

70 Posts
Posted - 03 Sep 2002 :  21:13:28
i think every browser utilizes a second mouse button? am i correct?
-shakti

Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2002 :  05:40:41
quote:
i'm with you 100% on the utility of extensions, the joys of wildcards seem unknown on the mac also! there must be a way to do it, but i haven't run across it yet.

If someone will program a command line interface for the Mac, it'll work.

I'm pretty sure something of the sort exists...

quote:
most mac users just get crosseyed and drool on themselves when i try to explain it to the ones that are sharp enough not to launch into an anti-wintel tirade at the mere mention of those two terms.

Wow, thanks. You just insulted a whole section of the world's population with that statement.

Truth is, with a GUI, you sacrifice flexibility for inuitivity. And with a CLI, you do the reverse. That doesn't mean people who use/like GUIs are stoopid, bub.

quote:
all Operatinng Systems suck, bet every one i've ever used had features head and shoulders above all the others, INCLUDING MS-DOS!

Name one.

quote:
just put .something_or_other after each new filename when you type them! all my clarisworks files are .cwk if they're not .ss.cwk or .wp.cwk!

Exactly. Want file extensions? Use 'em! Be my guest. That doesn't take away from the fact that using part of the filename as metadata is a backward idea and incredibly bad OS design...

quote:
lately i've been datecoding files as .081302.2.ai8 so that i can tell a file is the second incremental save of an Illustrator 8 file revision done today with text annotations in every file listing the related files for the job/account.

If you datecode your files, might I suggest coding them as 20020813 instead of 081302? That way, your system will sort them in the right order, since the most significant date information (year) comes first.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2002 :  08:25:54
You're pickin' on me again, Alien!
quote:

quote:
i'm with you 100% on the utility of extensions, the joys of wildcards seem unknown on the mac also! there must be a way to do it, but i haven't run across it yet.

If someone will program a command line interface for the Mac, it'll work.

I'm pretty sure something of the sort exists...

I haven't taken the time to master Sherlock, but the text fields in it scream: Where the **** did the moron in the turtleneck hide my wildcards!
quote:

quote:

most mac users just get crosseyed and drool on themselves when i try to explain it to the ones that are sharp enough not to launch into an anti-wintel tirade at the mere mention of those two terms.

Wow, thanks. You just insulted a whole section of the world's population with that statement.

Truth is, with a GUI, you sacrifice flexibility for inuitivity. And with a CLI, you do the reverse. That doesn't mean people who use/like GUIs are stoopid, bub.

I never used the word "stupid," tho I can see why you inferred it from my phrasing. Some zealots can be very intelligent if not too bright about some things. As for describing the others as "their eyes glazing over in utter boredom with the nuances of computer trivia" . . . just hasn't got much comedic value. The ones who can get past the intricacies of technological toys and actually use computers as tools are a lot sharper than I am!

Gui's are great, but so are command lines an especially command keys whoever the geniuses were at Apple who decided that since using the mouse was faster *gags on rising bile* that the mac not only didn't need, but shouldn't have command key equivalents for everything in the menus, I hope they've all got capal tunnel syndrome from mousing!

Something as basic as Alt-F-S ("save as" in MordorSoft DOS GUI Shells and Windows 3.0) is still inconsistently implemented as Command-Shift-S to this day! (and entirely missing from SimpleText in 9.1!!!!!!!) FEH!

quote:

quote:
all Operating Systems suck, bet every one i've ever used had features head and shoulders above all the others, INCLUDING MS-DOS!

Name one.

. . . see first comment! search "w*ards"
quote:

quote:

Exactly. Want file extensions? Use 'em! Be my guest. That doesn't take away from the fact that using part of the filename as metadata is a backward idea and incredibly bad OS design...

Incredibly bad OS design... that'd be hiding the "creator codes" from the user so that a utility is needed to find it, or so that the O.S. can dump a column of text like: "application program" to identify the .sea (useful but unidentifiable) version of a .hqx "Stuffit Expander™ Document" (that's basically useless, considering). If extensions didn't match the way people work and convey a large amount of useful information in 3 visible, searchable, easily identifyable ASCII characters, there wouldn't be enough in general use on the Mac a quarter century later to make the design team blush!
quote:

quote:

If you datecode your files, might I suggest coding them as 20020813 instead of 081302? That way, your system will sort them in the right order, since the most significant date information (year) comes first.

That's a great suggestion for datecodes in general, but they're just visual cues for me when searching "Ch75." to get all the files for a specific parking garage and for identifying fax files or papers from the filename printed on the bottom in 14 point type and all the previous files in the series included underneath it in 8 point in the format: Account.content.datecode.rev.extension, it's just a convention that's worked for me in the world outside my CRT, the datecode can remain the same for revisions and means more to me than the Mac's created/modified convention which suffices for any computer searches of files, but once I find a group of them, I don't want to have to open them to to narrow the search and the accumulated filenames help me to avoidopening very many and can help in tracking jobs for billing.

A computer platform may be well designed from a technical standpoint in terms of information systems, and O.S. efficiency, but if the combination doesn't match the task requirements or working habits of real people, it still sucks! That's why they all do to a certain extent, it's just that the stuff from MordorSoft pulls an extra meter's worth of mercury on a vacuum scale.

jt .

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 10 Sep 2002 08:43:38Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2002 :  15:00:18
PERSONALLY I HAVE ALLWAYS HATED CLI"S

in general that is.

Now what was the st's saving grace?

well it was crap! which was good cos microsoft ignored it, this led to users(not druggies) writing thier own software cos of a lack of commercial interest.

the fs built into Tos (The Operating System used by st's) wasn't the best, though it is still head & shoulders above my Quadra's(os 8.1).

a few fs's were written. I myself allways used selectric. you could sort your files, you could list 24 files(about 4 or 5 in the mac's fs window?), you could copy files, delete files.

IN FACT YOU COULD USE IT FOR "file management"

This upset me more than anything else about the mac. I tear my hair out attempting to move a file from one place to another, let alone, convert, edit, cut, paste, view size date time created.

pc file selector is way behind selectric too.

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chill out dude,

It is probably my fault with my "firebrand" style perhaps, I'm a bad influence?.

now this leeds me nicly onto my next theme, I wanted to use a new irc program. I went into preferences & though "hey I can add some sounds", I didnt know where my sound files would be kept on my mac, I couldnt search for them cos they dont have extentions, I gave up & did somthing else where I could be more productive.

Sometimes when Netscape downloads it just down loads & dosnt ask me where to download to! I ....

You must all be sick of this winge by now.

sorry.

a monitor hack post will follow[:-)]

shaktiman

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 10 Sep 2002 :  16:57:17
This has been a great thread of discussion that should be continued, but I think it's time for it to be moved over to the Lounge. Besides, then it will probably get even more interesting.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"
Check out the new forum on the block at: http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.