68k Hacks
 Bye bye Aaron
Author Topic  
bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 10 Aug 2002 :  03:57:14
Hey there trendsetters,

Been away from my macs for a while, but DAMN! It's good to be back. I hope you all missed me .

Anyhows, my latest acquisition is a Rocket Stage II, which (hopefully) will be turning up in a week or so. So I was doing a little surfing around for info on these puppies, when I came across a page where the guy made this interesting little SW hack...

quote:
This is my most recent one. I had already installed the Appearance Control Panel and Extension from a MacOS 8.1 install in the 7.5.5 System folder on my Quadra 650. So, keeping my fingers crossed, I dragged the same two files into my Rockets 7.1 System Folder.

I actually didn't expect it to work, but it did, and booted right up with Platinum staring me in the face. The only snag is that the File Type for the Appearance Control Panel (1.0.1) is APPC. That makes it a Control Panel which the computer recognizes as a seperate application. However, 7.1 has no idea what an APPC is. So, I used ResEdit to change it from APPC to APPL. Since it's still not a cdev, I'm assuming that most extension managers won't be able to do anything about it, but that's okay. Since it's an application, it's totally benign.

This little number gives me Windowshade, the Platinum Theme, and, perhaps most importantly, sticky menus.

Cool huh! Haven't had a chance to try it yet... but I'm gonna.

Cheers!
CC

Cheers!
CC

Air Marshall, 605 sQUADRAn

Honest-to-god, by-the-book liberations: 15, Other 68Ks: 5, Contraband: 7, PCs: Is you mad?

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 10 Aug 2002 :  04:09:29
Same guy has a nice little morality tale about how he gave up his 1 Ghz PC for a Quadra 650. A like-minded soul indeed.

http://homepage.mac.com/dvpierce/wintel/index.html

Cheers!
CC

Honest-to-god, by-the-book liberations: 15, Other 68Ks: 5, Contraband: 7, PCs: Is you mad?Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Aug 2002 :  04:09:42
Hehe...an oldie but a goodie!

Actually, a few years ago i hijacked some control panels from my PowerBook's OS 8.1 system folder, and copied them to the System 7.6.1 install on the LCIII. Very nice. Desktop Pictures works too!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6

Btw, isn't dvpierce from MacAddict Forums? I remember he has a G4 upgraded 7300 as his main Mac, and he used to have a Q650 as his first Mac.

Edited by - maclover5 on 10 Aug 2002 04:17:20Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 10 Aug 2002 :  07:13:23
Hey pakeha - how was the trip? We'll catch up soon.....

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2002 :  02:50:21
quote:

Hey pakeha - how was the trip? We'll catch up soon.....

68k ParaMedic

Mmmmm. Beeeeeeerrrr. Sooooon.

Cheers!
CC

Honest-to-god, by-the-book liberations: 15, Other 68Ks: 5, Contraband: 7, PCs: Is you mad?Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2002 :  18:29:23
Hmm, cool story. I've been meaning to get a new version of the AppleCD driver extension to work my 600i better. Maybe I'll go all the way to the one installed with 8!

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 15 Aug 2002 :  08:42:34
quote:

Same guy has a nice little morality tale about how he gave up his 1 Ghz PC for a Quadra 650. A like-minded soul indeed.

This would make a great "Switch" ad.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 15 Aug 2002 :  15:16:11
quote:

quote:

This would make a great "Switch" ad.

Uh-huh!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 17 Aug 2002 :  10:05:40
68k switch campaign

~The Penguin

| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline ServerGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.