Balloon Help
 Quadra 610 IP Router
Author Topic  
Syrex314
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts
Posted - 09 Aug 2002 :  10:24:48
Hi. Before I begin, may I say that I am very excited to have found the 68k MLA! This is freakin' awesome!

At home, where we only have a dialup connection, I'm trying to share that amongst the computers in my house. I used to have a 6100 in charge, then the AAUI transceiver blew out, now the monitor's dead.

So I'm setting up my Quadra 610 as a replacement, using an Asante EN/SC adapter for Ethernet, and IPNetRouter.

BUT IT IS HORRIBLY WRETCHEDLY SLOW! I'm talking 600 bytes/sec max transfer rates!

There appears to be nothing wrong with the EN/SC adapter. I've been using that connection to our iMac to transfer installers and such over to the Quadra, and it appears to behave at normal Ethernet speeds.

I remember a problem with one of my Performas where the serial port slows down when running LocalTalk through one, and a peripheral through the other, so I shut off AppleTalk alltogether. Still slow.

No Virtual Memory. About 5 MB free with IPNetRouter running. Could be the modem itself, I'm going to check that as soon as I logoff here. Any ideas though? Does IPNetRouter have issues with the EN/SC box? Perhaps I'll pull out some of my other 68k boxes...

Thanks for any help!
-Syrex314

"Where the ocean meets the sky, I'll be sailing..."

Edited by - Syrex314 on 09 Aug 2002 10:27:20

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 Aug 2002 :  12:25:30
the SCSI to Ethernet conversion might be the problem, don't you have another AAUI transceiver for the onboard ethernet?

btw: did you check the PRAM battery in the 6100?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Syrex314
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts
Posted - 09 Aug 2002 :  12:56:39
If the EN/SC box were at fault, wouldn't I also notice the slowness over AppleShare file transfers? I just ordered another AAUI transceiver, it should be here ina few days...

On the 6100, I think the monitor's at fault. I turn it on, and get a blank screen. Then switch it off and on real quick, I can get a glimpse of what the Mac's outputting, then it goes blank again.

"Where the ocean meets the sky, I'll be sailing..."Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 10 Aug 2002 :  08:16:48
quote:

On the 6100, I think the monitor's at fault. I turn it on, and get a blank screen. Then switch it off and on real quick, I can get a glimpse of what the Mac's outputting, then it goes blank again.

Two words... PRAM battery

Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 10 Aug 2002 :  08:55:20
If you want to see if the problem is the PRAM battery, take 2 AA or AAA batteries and duck-tape them together with positive ends adjacent to negative ends, like this.

--- ---
|+| |-|
| | | |
| | | |
|-| |+|
--- ---

Run a piece of wire across one end of the assembly so the batteries are connected in series. Then duck-tape wires to the + and - terminals on the other side. Be sure to label which wire is which. The finished product will look like this.

|----| wire
--- ---
|+| |-|
| | | |
| | | |
|-| |+|
--- --- to positive and negative wires

Stick the wires into the corresponding sides of the PRAM battery holder in the 6100 (with the battery removed, of course). Boot the 6100. If the problem is the PRAM battery, it will boot OK.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 Aug 2002 :  11:54:46
quote:

If you want to see if the problem is the PRAM battery, take 2 AA or AAA batteries and duck-tape them together with positive ends adjacent to negative ends, like this.

--- ---
|+| |-|
| | | |
| | | |
|-| |+|
--- ---

Run a piece of wire across one end of the assembly so the batteries are connected in series. Then duck-tape wires to the + and - terminals on the other side. Be sure to label which wire is which. The finished product will look like this.

|----| wire
--- ---
|+| |-|
| | | |
| | | |
|-| |+|
--- --- to positive and negative wires

Stick the wires into the corresponding sides of the PRAM battery holder in the 6100 (with the battery removed, of course). Boot the 6100. If the problem is the PRAM battery, it will boot OK.

if you need a replacement for the 4.5 volt battery there's a 4 AA Cell battery pack available with the proper connector 4 contact SIP. all you need to do is use 3 AA's, solder in a jumper to complete the circuit and install a key in the proper hole to prevent reverse polarity installation. (i did a how-to post in a thread either here or on fritter someplace, but it's really easy to reverse engineer if you have the cube shaped 4.5 volt pack in hand)

if you're saying that the 3.6 volt 1/2 AA form factor lithium battery can be replaced by a 3 volt alkaline pair, it'd be easier to just use the available two AA battery pack and solder the leads to makeshift brass contacts attached to the proper length of 1/2" wooden or plastic dowel to install in the mobo battery cage. i've been considering doing something like that every time i plunk down $11.90 for a 3.6 volt PRAM battery at Crap Shack! the fact that the sales tax on the 10.99 price is higher than the cost of a pair of AA's in a clearance store multi-pack kills me every time! :rolleyes:

does anybody know of a cheap Lithium Pack that's got any kind of 3.6 (or 1.3 volt ) volt cells soldered together inside it?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Syrex314
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts
Posted - 10 Aug 2002 :  15:55:31
Found a replacement 3.6 V lithium cell at the Batteries Plus store, and the 6100 now lives! Anyone know why Apple, in all their wisdom, decided video out should depend on a working battery?

But the war is far from over...

I decided now that the 6100 is working, maybe I can try the routing on there. Maybe the slowness has something to do with OpenTransport on the 68k. I have no idea. It routes fine between the Ethernet and the LocalTalk MacIP interface. I turned on Personal Web Sharing on the iMac, and tried to browse that from a LocalTalk machine, and it all worked fine and dandy!

So now I'm trying to get routing set up on the 6100... Of course, that stubborn booger doesn't want to play nice with the EN/SC adapter. When I go to the Network control panel to switch to Alternative Ethernet, it pops up saying it's switching my AppleTalk connection, and sits there clicking the external hard drive. Could it be a SCSI ID conflict? The external drive and the EN/SC box have unique IDs, but I forgot which IDs to avoid conflicts with the internal HD, CDROM, etc...

Syrex314
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts
Posted - 10 Aug 2002 :  16:02:44
quote:

does anybody know of a cheap Lithium Pack that's got any kind of 3.6 (or 1.3 volt ) volt cells soldered together inside it?

Batteries Plus has 'em for $9... Hehe, in one of my elementary school science books, I have instructions for making batteries out of pennies, foil, paper towels, and salt water. Or you could go the potato or lemon cell route. http://d116.com/spud/

Syrex314
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts
Posted - 10 Aug 2002 :  17:42:30
Grr... Can't get the EN/SC box to work on my 6100. SCSI ID's are: Internal HD (0), CDROM (2), EN/SC (5). Mysteriously, this works on the 68k machines but the routing's too slow there... Maybe I'll just wait until that transceiver gets here in the mail...

quinterro
Starting Member

USA
20 Posts
Posted - 18 Aug 2002 :  09:11:15
quote:

Grr... Can't get the EN/SC box to work on my 6100. SCSI ID's are: Internal HD (0), CDROM (2), EN/SC (5). Mysteriously, this works on the 68k machines but the routing's too slow there... Maybe I'll just wait until that transceiver gets here in the mail...

I thought with the EN/SC, it would only work with Macs up to the Quadras. At least I read that somewhere.....

I too have an EN/SC, but without a power supply.

----------------
Under the hat...Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.