68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Lounge
 I know a G3 ain't a 68k, but can someone help me?
Author Topic  
maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 08 Aug 2002 :  06:15:10
I've recently been given the job of fixing up 3 beige G3/300 desktops. Here is a current lowdown on their status:

1 is fully operational, and has had its drive formatted, and a clean install of OS 9.1 performed, and is on its way back to the owner.

1 Makes a boot chime, and the drives spin up, but it doesn't do anything else. I've tried zapping the PRAM, resetting the CUDA and taking out the batt for a while, and i can't get it to display no matter what i do. I've also tried another 3 known good power regulator boards in there, as well as a known good PCI video card.

And for the last one...well, its pretty much dead. The power supply fan comes on, but the drives don't spin up or anything though. With this one, i get no boot chime, nor does anything come up on the screen.

I'm thinking that on the non working ones, either the power supply, logic board, CPU or ROMM DIMM. I'm going to have access to them again next Wednesday. Thanks in advance for your help.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 08 Aug 2002 :  11:14:12
I just talked with my friend about the 2 problem systems:

The one with a chime, but no video: He suggests going in an testing it with only the base amount of RAM. If that doesn't work, he says it is likely to be a Main Logicboard Failure.

The one with no chime: Again pull everything except the base amount of RAM. If still no change, it is also a Main Logicboard Failure.

[edit: Adding the second opinion of my other boss]
The one with chime: Try swapping out the PRAM battery with a new battery. If the battery is bad, it could prevent startup.

The one without a chime: He thinks it's the Power Voltage Regulator Board. Try one of the good ones on it, and see how it goes

------------------
Captain Z - Mobile Operations Commander
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

23 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV Stuff

Edited by - Captain Z on 08 Aug 2002 11:19:37Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 08 Aug 2002 :  14:28:27
Thanks for your help. Next week i'm going to try starting them with a base amount of RAM. The thign is though, if it was dodgy RAM that was preventing it from booting, wouldn't it give me a Sad Mac? Next week i will try a different PRAM batt on both Macs. Also, about the one thats completely dead, I tried 3 known good voltage regulators in it. I'll also try an ATX PSU in it (it uses the same pinouts as the G3 PSU, and there's a jumper that cofigures it for the ATX PSU). Either way, thanks again.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 08 Aug 2002 :  19:54:31
quote:

Thanks for your help. Next week i'm going to try starting them with a base amount of RAM. The thign is though, if it was dodgy RAM that was preventing it from booting, wouldn't it give me a Sad Mac?

Not always. I have been installing RAM in G3 All-in-one's all summer, and 7 out of 10 times, the computer will give you a Chimes of Doom (a metal clashing sound). The other 3 out of 10 times, it will give you a grey screen or no video, and system hang (it's attempting to verify the RAM, but it is stalling)

First pull all the RAM except the RAM originally included. If it boots, install the different sets of RAM back in, until you are in a config that al the RAM shows and it isn't screwing up.

------------------
Captain Z - Mobile Operations Commander
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

23 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 08 Aug 2002 :  23:48:17
Great. Thanks again. Just goes to show that i know nothing about the G3! (The only G3 based Macs that i've ever worked on before were tray loading iMacs)

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.