All Forums
 Balloon Help
 SE/30: Pls help with ethernet/FPU problem
Author Topic  
tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2002 :  20:42:55
Just finished upgrading an SE/30 --added RAM, swapped in bigger HD, and attempted to install an ethernet card.

Problem: Mac won't boot up with ethernet card installed--powers up and HD begins to sping, but I get vertical lines on the screen and HD then stops spinning. Shutting down and pulling out the ethernet card returns the computer to normal operation.

Suspicion: From what I've seen online, the 68882 FPU was a standard feature on the SE/30, not an optional one (correct?) . If that's true, then I think the problem must be that the ethernet card has a 68882 FPU chip installed on it.

Second problem: I can't for the life of me figure out how to get that !@#$% FPU out! Unlike, say, a 68040 CPU, the 68882 FPU is not simply surface mounted on the ethernet card's main board. Rather, it's surrounded by a plastic frame that has the metal contacts in it. The top surface of the FPU is flush with the top edge of the plastic frame.

I'm sure there's a way to pry this thing out (without destroying the card), but I can't figure it out. Can anyone help?

Thanks much.

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2002 :  20:57:34
Yes! Check the website!
www.68kmla.com/website

Or the link straight there:
http://users.creative.net.au/~mla/mla_site/68882.html

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2002 :  21:23:27
Thanks! I finally found an "implement" small enough to fit in the corner slots and possessed of sufficient tensil strength to act as a micro-prybar. Scratched some of the ceramic edge-surface of the 68882 on the way, but the chip seems to be fine--I stuck it in an LCIII and the machine booted up normally.

BTW, anyone want a tested, working 68882 FPU?

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2002 :  21:33:42
quote:

BTW, anyone want a tested, working 68882 FPU?

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.