UNIX on 68k
 NetBooting
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2002 :  11:28:50
Is there a way to make a "NetBoot" server client type setup with any of the *nixes that we can run on a 68k mac? Or even with something like Rhapsody on an older PPC. It would be cool to be like Steve Jobs and his iMacs booting off the g3 and running quicktime movies. Except it would be [me] booting my vast collection of LC580s (which I have yet to aquire) off of my Quadra 860AV or 060 Quadra 950 running A/UX, or a powermac running Rhapsody.

To the point, is there a way to do this without a boot floppy or HD, or is my best bet just using a 7.5 network boot floppy?

Is there a way to modify the ROM, or make my floppy controller read a kind of solid state memory (7.5 boot floppy on compact flash made with my iMac)

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2002 :  15:14:23
I know that you can network boot with NeXTSTEP/OpenStep, and Rhapsody's pretty similar to them. However, I've never tried Rhapsody.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2002 :  17:24:54
I'm not sure that there's any way to NetBoot an Old-World (pre-bondi) ROM. Maybe there's a way if you loaded a 68k *NIX on them?

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  15:01:03
I THINK you can set up an A/UX system that has a teeny-tiny system on it that Netboots from an image on a TFTP server partway thru. NOt 100% sure tho\

~^^archie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  00:13:57
if you could hack some sort of non-volatile solid state storage onto either the SCSI, IDE, or floppy interface, you COULD set up a VERY minimal system folder on it, and then set it to reboot off the server, with a bit of trickery i guess.

Just a thought...

--------------------------

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  11:22:56
woohoo!! THAT would be great... an AppleScript!!

I would love to do that with a mac SE I have, 3 classics and a classic II that I'm getting. who knows, maybe it'll all work magnificently and I'll have a 5 client network... now, I just need to get more Phonnet adaptors or some ethernet equipment...

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  11:54:05
quote:

if you could hack some sort of non-volatile solid state storage onto either the SCSI, IDE, or floppy interface, you COULD set up a VERY minimal system folder on it, and then set it to reboot off the server, with a bit of trickery i guess.

Just a thought...

Dunno about applescript, never touch the stuff, but it sounds to me like you'd have the OS rebooting in a loop with nowhere to "goto"! On each reboot, the network connection is still going to be gobbledegook until the System Volume in ROM loads the network drivers again.

Is there a way to applescript selection and "blessing" of a System folder on a Network? That's how you used to shift the boot disk from one floppy to another floppy back in the early bronze age, IIRC.

Maybe you could get that far in a ROM or Floppy based boot setup?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  22:52:16
One wonders... can One load the "kernel" of an OS, from the solid state scsi memory previously mentioned, then load the rest of the Mac OS from the server, in this case a Mac IIsi "siSERVE" over Phonnet or ethernet, and run the OS from the server's HD, not the same OS as the server of course, maybe a minimal copy of a/UX, or even a boot loader where I can select an of whatever OSs are on the HDD, then reboot into it, like the one that comes with BeOS on a PPC, except over a network, THAT would be good for using the same server and bood media to boot several different computers, for example, I boot up my classic, and choose system 7.0.1, but my SE has less RAM so it uses 6.0.8, and my Quadra, a whole different leauge will require something more like 7.6 or 8.1, so each computer can have it's own OS (albeit slowly) from siSERVE

also, does Apple+OPTION+X+O on a classic have network access? can I copy that system to a floppy?

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  11:28:41
quote:

One wonders... can One load the "kernel" of an OS, from the solid state scsi memory previously mentioned, then load the rest of the Mac OS from the server, in this case a Mac IIsi . . .

you might just be in luck:

From the Macintosh IIsi Developers Notes:

quote:

Network booting

The Macintosh IIsi computer is designed to provide future support
for network booting (for example, starting up from a file server
rather than an internal disk drive). You can use the Control Panel to
set a flag in the ADB microcontroller that causes the system to start
up over a communications network such as Ethernet or LocalTalk ® .
This feature is particularly useful in classroom situations where
everyone has to start up from the same system image.

Programmable wakeup

The ADB microprocessor includes a function that allows setting of a
wakeup time, causing the Macintosh IIsi computer to automatically
power up at a specified time and perform an operation. These
wakeup flags are contained in the code of the ADB microcontroller
and are controlled by software.

I just figured out how to open all the .PDF's I've been having trouble with (FINALLY!!!! ) and ran across these tidbits. I wonder if the SE/30 could do the same thing with transplanted ROM's and the ADB controller from a IIsi? Dunno if it'll work for a variant of 'NIX, but it's a place to start hacking!

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

p.s. this isn't my thing ('NIX-n-Networking) but i just had a thought: if you can't load 'NIX using the NetBoot feature, could you have the IIsi NetBoot into the Mac OS and then autostart a Applescript setting up and loading a RAM Disk with what you need for a bootable'NIX volume, set it as the Boot Disk, and then restarting into 'NIX (or doing a hotkey reset if Restart still won't boot into 'NIX) Once booted in your O.S. of choice you could then do whatever you need to to get things set up the way you want them if you want to free up the RAM Disk or whatever?

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 31 Aug 2002 11:43:31Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  15:26:00
Thats interesting stuff jt, and will make me an even more likely candidate for IIsi ownership. However, how DO you "reset the ADB microcontroller"? I've used IIsis before, and I haven't seen anything like it. Maybe it was a feature in prototype IIsis that was removed on the real thing?

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  17:13:25
quote:

Thats interesting stuff jt, and will make me an even more likely candidate for IIsi ownership. However, how DO you "reset the ADB microcontroller"? I've used IIsis before, and I haven't seen anything like it. Maybe it was a feature in prototype IIsis that was removed on the real thing?

I'll wager it's in all of them and that the way to tell the microcontroller what to do is by communicating with it over the I2C bus, Apple is not likely to have changed the ROM or the ADB microcontroller during production if it is mentioned in the developer's notes, search for a tech note when Apple's servers come back up after the weekend. I'd probably check all the dev notes on networking from the IIsi era at the same time.

Somebody on fritter just posted info to the effect that their CC will boot from ROM when no other boot volume is available, but it could have been a mis-statement. I'd check the CC dev notes against the IIsi's to see if it is based on the si's architecture.

If I owned either machine and it happened to be networked, I'd try cold-starting it without any boot volumes available just to see what happened! I have a sneaking suspicion that the ADB microcontroller might be reset automagically under certain conditions!

jt .

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  18:01:39
oooh! The geek inside me is excited!

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  18:18:48
Those dev notes didn't specify which control panel you use to set the flag in the ADB microcontroller. Anyone have any IIsi system disks? If this control panel truly exists, it might not have shipped with any other model

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  18:20:03
quote:

oooh! The geek inside me is excited!

NFG! It was an error! They got their CC mixed up with their Classic, bleh! Whatever, if I had a IIsi, I'd still try booting it networked, with no drives attached to see what happened!

jt .

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  18:39:21
There isn't any special control panel that gets installed on a IIsi, at least not with System 7.1.

Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  18:45:19
Yeah, but it shipped with 6.0.7

{ candyPunk }

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  18:51:05
Right. I've just checked the KBase archives. Nothing there. Now to check the devnotes...

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  19:05:31
quote:

Right. I've just checked the KBase archives. Nothing there. Now to check the devnotes...

http://www.applefritter.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=68k;action=display;num=1020033068

XRayNuke, just reported that the LCII dev note says it has a similar setup in ROM for NetBooting!

jt .

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  23:03:40
I was just thinking...
if you connected the IIsi directly to a DSL modem, and this phantom control panel can boot over TCP/IP... can we say world wide boot server?!

THnx
"gooey on the outside, explosive on the inside!"

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  23:10:00
quote:

I was just thinking...
if you connected the IIsi directly to a DSL modem, and this phantom control panel can boot over TCP/IP... can we say world wide boot server?!

THnx
"gooey on the outside, explosive on the inside!"

iWish.

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  00:12:20
wow, I would LOVE to netboot the IIsi from a server, possibly my Quadra, or if i can get it to work, the 6100 to work...

the LCII is really the netboot computer that I can imagine using, it's slim, light and quiet, without the HDD, and floppy drive, hmm, lets fill in the floppy hole, and cut off that stupid foot, then lets add some way to prop it up vertically, and use a larger monitor rather than the 12", in fact, lets scoot up the mobo and build in the Applevision monitor adaptor, a powercord extender and ethernet extention, and there's only 3 ports, power, network and system i.o

i have a friend who is saying that apple says anything older than an iMac can't netboot at all, but this is "network booting"

anyhow, at that point, we have almost a "thin client" this is common in the windows world these days, having thin clients that have ARM processors (like inthe newton) and run windows CE

I'll be looking far into the theories of network booting with any platform soon though!

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Sep 2002 :  13:30:06
quote:

I'll be looking far into the theories of network booting with any platform soon though!

Over on fritter, XRayNuke came up with OSX netboot info for backtracking:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/software/InsideNetBooting.PDF

I googled "netboot IIsi macintosh" came up with a dead link for somethingin a mirror for this mac68k archive. I'm already way over my head trying to understand this kinda crap, but it looks promising. Sounds like somebody might have figured out how to bootstrap NetBSD from the 68k ROM netboot capability using the NetBSD/mac68k Booter utility, if i'm reading the teal leaves correctly . . . for a change!

http://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/BSD/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/snapshot/20020825-1.6F/INSTALL.txt

quote:

Kernels suitable for booting from an AppleShare server may be found in
the mac68k/binary/kernels subdirectory of the NetBSD 1.6F distribution
tree. These kernels are generally named something like netbsd-GENERIC.gz
and can be booted as-is by the NetBSD/mac68k Booter utility, if desired.
Please note that these kernels are simply gzipped and are not in tar
archives.

The Mac OS based utilities necessary for installing and running NetBSD
can be found in the mac68k/installation/misc subdirectory of the
NetBSD 1.6F distribution tree. The important files in this directory are
as follows:

Booter.sea.hqx
The NetBSD/mac68k Booter utility. This program is
used to boot the NetBSD kernel from within Mac OS.
141 KB archived

Installer.sea.hqx
The NetBSD/mac68k Installer utility. This program is
used to install the distribution sets onto your NetBSD
partition(s). This utility is used only in a Tradi-
tional method installation; it is not used or required
for an installation using the sysinst method.
147 KB archived

Mkfs.sea.hqx
The Mkfs utility. This program is used to format your
chosen partitions so that they can be used with
NetBSD. This utility is used only in a Traditional
method installation; it is not used or required for an
installation using the sysinst method.
76 KB archived

. . . but I doubt it!

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 01 Sep 2002 13:31:30Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  04:49:53
I was just reading that NetBoot pdf that jt linked us in the previous post, and i noticed that on NewWorld based Macs, BootP is used to initiate a connection with the server, and then TTFP is used to transfer system files to RAM. Would this info be of any use to someone wishing to write such a control panel that allows netbooting?

Warrior maclover5

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  06:55:57
quote:

I was just reading that NetBoot pdf that jt linked us in the previous post, and i noticed that on NewWorld based Macs, BootP is used to initiate a connection with the server, and then TTFP is used to transfer system files to RAM. Would this info be of any use to someone wishing to write such a control panel that allows netbooting?

Go check the fritter thread for a procedure Eudi posted to test if the IIsi is set up to look for a server on the network.

jt .

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Sep 2002 :  20:52:36
I was on AIM with a buddy, and this person totally and completely bashed the idea of EVER getting a macintosh older than an iMac to network boot, THEN he turned right around and said that it was NeXT that invended NetBoot back in either 87 or 89.

Some things don't make sense to me...

if NeXT invented the idea of network booting, WHY was it possible on Macintoshes of the same era, a time when Apple didn't eve know that NeXT existed...

Are NetBoot, as we know it with OSX server and the one mentioned here different? I say it is because, of several things, but he seems to think that it's all just like the current netboot...

YAHH... RiiGHT.....

I'll get the list of things he "knows" are wrong with the concepts of this network booting :P....

then I'll post them here :)

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 03 Sep 2002 :  09:15:22
I'm not sure if that NetBSD info is especially useful. I mean, it makes sense that you could netboot a *NIX system, doesn't it? See, the page found by jt still requires a boot utility in the mac os, it doesn't actually boot the computer into BSD. My experience with Debian and Penguin booter would be consistant with being able to netboot (though I'm far from a linux junikie!) ... The booter opens a console and does some preliminary rom-encoded (I would suppose) startup routines, and then looks for the system on the specified partition. At that point, it might be able to look on something besides a local disk. It still has to be launched from the mac os, though, and it sounds like NetBSD does too, though it seems to have the capability to use a system on a remote appleshare server. Better get someone else to corroborate this this opinion - I barely know how to use vi!

{ candyPunk }

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 03 Sep 2002 :  19:39:45
It would seem as thoug by the time someone created a boot disk that was needed to boot BSD, and even worse, BSD over a network, it would be simply a waste, several reasons;

BSD is something that I would run on a server, not a workstation, if I were netbooting for a client, it would not be BSD...

By the time your boot disk is working, you have a full operational Mac OS on it, you have the bootloader, and more than one Operating system kernel (the mac OS has a kernel too you know), AND this boot disk either has to support some serious applescript, that makes it a 7.5 boot disk by the way... OR, it becomes a chooser, and finding the server and entering names and passwords affair, and THEN there's the issue of keeping the network disk connected while BSD reboots the machine.

This is not in any way what is envisioned as a "network computer" no, a network computer is something that you simply turn on, and it either has a small HDD from which it starts up, or it just finds the server and boots, or lets you pick the image from which to boot (via menus either driven by the server, or in the rom)

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 04 Sep 2002 :  13:50:03
quote:
if NeXT invented the idea of network booting, WHY was it possible on Macintoshes of the same era, a time when Apple didn't eve know that NeXT existed...

NeXT released the original Cube in October 1988 with the capability to netboot built into its ROM. Because NeXTstep was built around the NetInfo networking protocol, it was possible for a NeXT to boot off of a NetInfo server. In fact, unless you tell it not to look for a NetInfo server, NeXTStep/OpenStep will search for a NetInfo server at startup and complain if it doesn't find one. The whole system is pretty close to Jaguar's network autodetecting system. IIRC, OS X does NetBooting through NetInfo also.

The IIsi was not released until 1990, two years after the first NeXT cube shipped.

Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 04 Sep 2002 :  20:58:59
One would think still... that Apple was not affiliated with NeXT at that time, and therefore didn't have that technology.

my friend who said about the NeXT also said similar things, he stated that this concept with the LCII and si are, in fact, netboot... i don't see how that's legally possible though...

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.