All Forums
 Balloon Help
 Installing from bin files
Author Topic  
Spyswitch00

86 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2002 :  23:03:02
Hello everyone!

Was wondering how to install from a bin file (not sure if this is even possible).

I downloaded MacWrite, on to a Kinkos Mac. Brought the floppy home to install it on my Mac Classic.

All I got on the disk was the MacWrite bin file icon and a blank system folder icon. Not sure what to do next. Is there supposed to be some step I'm leaving out? Install?

Thanks.

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2002 :  00:41:10
It is a compressed file,
You might need stuffit 5 but since you have a classic you are stuck with Stuffit Expander 4 witch might not (but should) decompress your files :
ftp://ftp.aladdinsys.com/pub/_old/mac/StuffIt_Expander/exp_40_installer.bin If you have a mac with a 68020+ prosessor then you can use stuffit 5
ftp://ftp.jagshouse.com/pub/stuffitexpander512.sit but you still need a decompresser... um your best bet would be to decompress it on the pc and bring it to the mac with Mac/Pc exchange use stuffit for windows
http://www.stuffit.com/downloads.html It is way better then WinZip.

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 2 stars.
Tones of mac junk in the corner of my closet.
-----
All servers currently off 'till I get a dedicated server.

Edited by - catsdorule on 07 Aug 2002 00:42:13

Edited by - catsdorule on 07 Aug 2002 00:44:44Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2002 :  01:28:55
De-compress on a PC? I didn't think that was possible. Besides, don't all Kinkos have Macs? They do here anyway.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2002 :  01:51:55
quote:

De-compress on a PC? I didn't think that was possible.

Yep!

-----
All servers currently off 'till I get a dedicated server.Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2002 :  02:36:28
how?

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2002 :  03:21:24
If what you are trying to de-compress has a resource fork, it will lose it, thus probably becoming useless.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2002 :  05:38:00
The file is encoded and/or compressed. Instead of having an extension, like PC files, Macs have two forks to a file. One fork holds the file's data itself, and the other holds the file type, the creator, icons, and other resources. Windoze and UNIX variants only allow for one fork, so when Mac files are stored as-is on Windoze or UNIX, they lose their resource fork. Therefore, all Mac files must be encoded if they are to be stored on a UNIX-based webserver. For more, see my tutorial at http://www.macinstruct.com/

On the Mac at Kinkos, use the program called "Stuffit Expander" to unencode and expand the .bin file. You will then have the actual MacWrite files, not just an encoded archive. You can drag them to the disk, and they will work on your Classic.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

Spyswitch00

86 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2002 :  06:30:49
Thank you gentlemen!

This is a big help since I didn't realize that bin files were still compressed (I'll get the hang of this one of these days :) !

I'll let you know how it turns out.

God Bless! Take it easy!

Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2002 :  10:09:26
Quoted from jagshouse:
quote:
Although I am a very inexperienced user of the Mac, maybe my experiences with PC to Mac may help you a bit.

A few weeks a go I had the problem that I deleted Stuffit from my SE/30. No hqx,sit nor sea format did help to reinstall stuffit on my Mac. I installed Aladdin Expander 5.1 on my PC. This program handles sit files and has the following option for expanding .sit files:

"Save Macintosh files in MacBinary format":

Macintosh files may contain one or more forks: a data fork and/or a resource fork. To preserver this information, a MacBinary encoded file can be created, rather than just expanding the data fork portion.

Disable the option Expand encoded files and enable the option Continue to expand when expansion results in single file. Still you need to re-expand the resulted file, but finaly you get the .MacBin file.

With the created MacBinary files I was able to install software on my SE/30 that was originally downloaded as .sit file.

Harry Borkhuis

Wezep, Netherlands

There are a bunch of free macbinary expanders out there. using the quote from jags house use this unstuffer http://www.pure-mac.com/compen.html#decoder

-----
All servers currently off 'till I get a dedicated server.Go to Top of Page

macaka

France
88 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  16:26:49
quote:

Hello everyone!

Was wondering how to install from a bin file (not sure if this is even possible).

I downloaded MacWrite, on to a Kinkos Mac. Brought the floppy home to install it on my Mac Classic.

All I got on the disk was the MacWrite bin file icon and a blank system folder icon. Not sure what to do next. Is there supposed to be some step I'm leaving out? Install?

Thanks.

To decompress a .bin file on a mac, use stuffitexpander 5.x , mindexpander 1.0 or Macbin 1,2 or 3.

To decompress a macintosh file on a PC in the suitcase , use stuffitexpander.

macaka

It's the war....Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2002 :  16:29:56
Yes that is bacicly what we all said please read the entire thread before posting.

---------------------------
Servers: afp://* ftp://* hotline://*
"The Site"

*68kdisk.no-ip.comGo to Top of Page

macaka

France
88 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  07:31:12
quote:

Yes that is bacicly what we all said please read the entire thread before posting.

"The Site"

*68kdisk.no-ip.com

Excuse me , I'm a new member and french...I 'm going to take a moment
to read rules of the forum.Bye.See you later.

It's the war....Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2002 :  11:55:21
O ok thats cool I speek french to just a frendly reminder

"The Site"

*68kdisk.no-ip.comGo to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  06:20:41
bonjour macaka (did I even spell that right?) there are no rules here - just be friendly [:D) and you'll get along fine with everyone. repeditive threads are our specialty

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  06:57:09
quote:

bonjour macaka (did I even spell that right?) there are no rules here - just be friendly [:D) and you'll get along fine with everyone. repeditive threads are our specialty

yes, welcome to the 68kMLA, where the only thing that keeps ALL the threads from being repetitive it that most of them don't stay on topic very long!

welcome aboard, macaka!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.