All Forums
 Lounge
 What makes a mac a mac?
Author Topic  
catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2002 :  20:35:19
Just wondering other then "ease of use" what makes a mac a mac?

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 2 stars.
Tones of mac junk in the corner of my closet.
-----
All servers currently off 'till I get a dedicated server.

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2002 :  02:30:00
I would not personally describe macs with the phrase "ease of use"

They have thier good points, are unique with innovative features but if your not "born to mac" then they can be a bloody pain in the neck.

Where is the right click(not as featured as with pc)?
y dont progs remember filepaths?
how do you know what a file is if it dosn't have an extention?(6th sense?)

I still think the 68k macs are the best(at the moment).

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2002 :  02:50:06
quote:

If you're coming to the Mac OS from a lifetime of another background, you have to have an open mind. If not, then you'll think that things are wierd and strange.

For a start, they don't need a "right click", no well designed program should.
They also use icons instead of extensions, a much better system.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2002 :  04:40:54
It comes down to If your talking Hardware or software. If your talking hardware, you're talking about a system that configures easy and works better together than most wintel systems made of all third-party parts. If your talking about the OS, well now your talking about " The Ease Of Use". That saying isn't just because of looking at it from a navigational stand-point. Navigation goes witout saying since Gates made himself a fortune by basing Windows on it, the theif. What's great abut the OS is how it knows it's equipment and how easy it is to install new programs. Not only does it know where files belong, (ex. drop an extention in the sys folder), but it asks you if you want it moved there. That's great because it gives more chances NOT to FU the system by re-writing an older version of the extention over the current one.

On one last note, they're one of the biggest Hollywood Stars. Start taking a tally when you watch the movies and you'll see Macs dominate the silver screen. To keep costs low, they use their own production equip. and what's going to handle the graphics better than a Mac?

Current Mac's:
Mac Plus, SE30, Classic, LCII, (2) LC550, Centris 650, 7100/80, Performa 6214, PB2300c Duo w/dock, G3/400 "Shine On" [;-)]
Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2002 :  06:26:36
What makes a Mac a Mac is excellent integration between hardware and the operating system. The classic Mac OS is not the easiest OS to use, and it is inferior to most other operating systems in terms of multitasking, multiple user support, and crash protection. Nevertheless, the classic Mac OS is very stable and fast, because it is specifically tailored to run on a certain, albeit limited, set of hardware.

Another factor that makes a Mac a Mac is complete freedom of the user to move files all around the filesystem. On a Mac, you can easily organize applications into folders, whereas on Windoze or UNIX, when you move a program and/or its files, it usually won't run any more. This freedom is great for organized Mac users, who can put their files into whatever order best suits them. However, it's horrible for absent-minded people such as myself; we move files to somewhere, and then we can't remember where we put them.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2002 :  10:44:10
ease of use is being able to accedentally delete someting in your system folder, and not have everything not work (it's happened to me!)

<-WARNING!->
if you use windows ME, then you know the file that causes the most crashes and lockups is a file called DDhelp.exe. well, what it does is it helps the system access DLL files (lil'/big driver files) so what I did was I went into the windows folder, and deleted it! and from that point on, I thought I would be able to play a game more than once before restarting... WRONG!! now nothing works, and nstead of having to restart the computer every 3 hours, it's every 3-30 minutes! no matter how much microsoft hyped it up, windows ME is just 100$CAN worth of dog sh*t! (fortunately, we got it for free, but I think it was overpriced)
<-WARNING->

ease of use is not having to restart your computer every 15 seconds

ease of use is having all your hardware work in your system without having to fiddle with 23000 tings

ease of use is not having 90-95% of your processors power doing useless things, leaving only 66MHz to work with programs (windows XP doesnt work on a 400MHz processor! moving the mouse is choppy!)

ease of use is being able to drage stuff from your music program (Itunes) and into your CDburning software (roxio toast) and be able to do other things while you burn, and not get errors

ease of use is being able to pllug your computer into a network, and have it work instantly on the internet, and it will see all the computers on that particular network

ease of use is the apple macintosh line of computers (exluding mac OS 9.2) and of course, the beomothic apple lisa/macintosh XL

ease of use is more than just ease of use.

THnx
"well! that was easy!"

Edited by - boredomconquersall on 06 Aug 2002 10:59:22Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2002 :  12:46:25
quote:

The classic Mac OS is not the easiest OS to use, and it is inferior to most other operating systems in terms of multitasking, multiple user support, and crash protection.

Yes, true.

quote:

Nevertheless, the classic Mac OS is very stable and fast, because it is specifically tailored to run on a certain, albeit limited, set of hardware.

Not as true. There is an incongruity between your statements, I think. I love macs, but I see their faults as well as you do (above), and don't quite see how the second part follows from the first. How do we classify it as stable when some of its biggest problems are memory management (multitasking) and crash protection? Even given these things, it beats Windows hands down in terms of simplicity and logic, don't get me wrong, but there'e no way you would have classified my old iMac as "stable" or, well, even "fast" when running 9.x. It was pretty fast under 8.5, I guess, so maybe we can place some blame on 9. Stability was always an issue, though, so we can't blame 9 for that

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 3}
{ My baby: Q660av }

Edited by - candypunk on 06 Aug 2002 12:48:28Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2002 :  13:54:25
Yes I love this topic......

I like the computer behind the os. I like the fact that "it all works"

The champion of os's is Tos 2.06/3.06(they are fairly interchangeable)

os Stability Configurability useability
Tos completely stable, if using well written Gem programs, configurability I would give it 9/10 but it lacks 1 or 2 modern features & useability, I f***ed my Tos system up so many times but it is so simple & so easy to back up that it did'nt matter.

Apple 8.1 crashes on me a bit but allows a restart & only puts up a message"this comp wasn't shut down properly" , configurability, I am getting there but finding it taxing work(& I think I have got lazy in my old age), & useability, well not bad once you get to "Apple thinking" but then you are thinking like someone who built an Apple & not like yourself innit, so it is not a completely free thinking os, but at least it has it's rules & it's logic.

Windows stability, erm I don't think Windows makers have this word in thier dictionary, if you try to do something "unusual" like move a dll file Windows has a complete cow with you., configurability, is good I can make a pc do what I want it to, for about 2 day's b4 it starts trying to change settings to the way "it" thinks they should be, useability, well most ppl don't get this far as they are shown 1 way of using Windows, when u can use Windows in a multitude of differing fashions.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2002 :  15:13:51
quote:
Even given these things, it beats Windows hands down in terms of simplicity and logic, don't get me wrong, but there'e no way you would have classified my old iMac as "stable" or, well, even "fast" when running 9.x. It was pretty fast under 8.5, I guess, so maybe we can place some blame on 9. Stability was always an issue, though, so we can't blame 9 for that

I think it's just OS 9. My 5400 and 6400 are very stable with OS 8.6, but they crashed quite a bit when I tried OS 9. My 5300c is rock-solid running OS 8.1. As for speed, my 6400 with a 603e at 180 MHz performs quite well with both OS 8.6 and OS 9.

quote:
y dont progs remember filepaths?

There is a preference somewhere that will make all programs automatically navigate to the last folder used in the program. I'm not sure which control panel it's in.

quote:
how do you know what a file is if it dosn't have an extention?

Either use Get Info to find out the kind of file it is, or turn on "Kind" in list view options.

Macs Liberated: SE (2), IIsi, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2002 :  22:38:10
quote:

[quote] y dont progs remember filepaths?

There is a preference somewhere that will make all programs automatically navigate to the last folder used in the program. I'm not sure which control panel it's in.
[quote]

That's in General Controls, under "Documents". y'have the option of The folder set by the application, the last folder used in that application, or the Documents folder. Pick one and enjoy :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2002 :  06:03:35
Last folder used in the application is the option I had highlighted but what I found was happening was the lets say I used folder, netscape/download in Netscape then if I started Graphic convertor this would use the Netscape/download folder. so all apps used the "last used folder"

I have changed to "folder that is used by Application.

Cheers for the reply Dana.

Perhaps Dana, Trash & Cinemafia should get together & write a 68kmac os 8.1 instruction manual. I would buy it especially as opposed to:-

A) the os 8 manul
B) Mac os for dummys.

really I should put evry1's name?

err well maybe but either way a 68kmla manual would be good although I find that the things that were put in the complete begginers section to begginerish, doh I am a mix of different os's.

shaktiman

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2002 :  16:29:20
it seems as in every version of the Macintosh system released in parelell with an other version of windoes, We get more *features

for example, with system 7, you can use Quacitime, and with system 7.5, it was included

Windows didn't really have a good integrated multimedia package (other than quicktime) until windows 98 (mac OS 8.5 almost)

When I ran Mac OS 9 and AppleWorks 5 with Quicktime 4 on my 7300 with 64 MB or RAM it ran like a dream, it was the best thing that could have been

Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2002 :  17:02:14
Thanks I needed this info for my website i'll add it Later.

-Danny Canadian Sniper Squadron 2 stars.
Tones of mac junk in the corner of my closet.
-----
Servers: afp://68kdisk.no-ip.com l/p 68kmla/68000
hotline://68kdisk.no-ip.com
Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2002 :  05:48:30
quote:

quote:

If you're coming to the Mac OS from a lifetime of another background, you have to have an open mind. If not, then you'll think that things are wierd and strange.

For a start, they don't need a "right click", no well designed program should.
They also use icons instead of extensions, a much better system.

I don't like this icon system that macs use!
At least I can easily change the extention on a file in DOS or Windows to change the program that opens it by default!
Also, the right click! It juat gives you more options and/or toos at the click of the other half of the mouse!

Website(closed):
http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINEGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2002 :  16:39:18
It's fixed in OS X; you can change what application opens a file in the Get Info panel.

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2002 :  19:30:58
quote:

It's fixed in OS X; you can change what application opens a file in the Get Info panel.

Cool! Perfect! Thats the biggest problem that I've ever had in the MacOS! Is there an easy way to do that in OS 7.5.5 on my LCII? I don't have enough expertise for resedit, but I could learn.

Website(closed):
http://scchicago.dynodns.net
MyForumOnDelphi:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/scchicago
NOTE:HL AND HTTP SERVER ARE ONLY AVAILIBLE WHEN I'M ONLINEGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.